Rookie
Dec 28, 2015
While I'm almost dead set on joining the Marines I still would like to gather more information on each branch to help solidify my position. I was hoping everyone here who has served can shed some light on the pros and cons of their particular branch.

What's the best part of your branch? What's the worst part?

Ask yourself three questions:

1. What do want to do in the service?

2. Are you going to try and make a career?

3. Do you want to perform that job for 20 plus years?

I spent 20 years in the Army and I encourage any young person to consider the Coast Gaurd, Navy, Air Force, Army and Marine Corps...in that order!

Ask yourself three questions:

1. What do want to do in the service?

2. Are you going to try and make a career?

3. Do you want to perform that job for 20 plus years?

I spent 20 years in the Army and I encourage any young person to consider the Coast Gaurd, Navy, Air Force, Army and Marine Corps...in that order!

I agree but the order. CG, AF, Navy, Marines, Army. This is also the order of complexity to get into them.

I made another topic about my plans for joining the USMC, and what I want to do. Basically if I join the corp I would like to spend 4 years 0311-Rifleman then 4 years 0321 Recon; then spend 4 years going to college to get my degree and then go to OCS and become an officer and shoot for MARSOC where I would like to spend the next 16 years until I retired at ~50 years old.

However, my secondary plan is to join the USAF as a auto mechanic, then transfer to helicopter mechanic, and potentially airplane mechanic; I may or may not retire through the USAF if I did join them as I could see myself just leaving after 8 years and using those skills in the private sector.

So I'm slightly conflicted as to what I want to do; on one hand I could devote myself to a military life (USMC) and on the other hand I could nail down a good 'job' and have a multitude of skills and benefits aid me for when I get out in the civilian world (USAF). It's a hard decision as I've always wanted to join the USMC, but my family is highly against it, especially me joining the infantry; not to mention I'm short as fuck which would seem to be a negative in terms of being in the USMC.

I made another topic about my plans for joining the USMC, and what I want to do. Basically if I join the corp I would like to spend 4 years 0311-Rifleman then 4 years 0321 Recon; then spend 4 years going to college to get my degree and then go to OCS and become an officer and shoot for MARSOC where I would like to spend the next 16 years until I retired at ~50 years old.

However, my secondary plan is to join the USAF as a auto mechanic, then transfer to helicopter mechanic, and potentially airplane mechanic; I may or may not retire through the USAF if I did join them as I could see myself just leaving after 8 years and using those skills in the private sector.

So I'm slightly conflicted as to what I want to do; on one hand I could devote myself to a military life (USMC) and on the other hand I could nail down a good 'job' and have a multitude of skills and benefits aid me for when I get out in the civilian world (USAF). It's a hard decision as I've always wanted to join the USMC, but my family is highly against it, especially me joining the infantry; not to mention I'm short as fuck which would seem to be a negative in terms of being in the USMC.

Be careful with the job descriptions for the Army and Marines. Those can be misleading. A buddy in the Army was called a Computer Tech. In the Air Force, that's a pretty impressive job that lends itself well to civilian jobs. In the Army, he went out and pulled the boxes and turned them over to civilian repair. In the AF, the repair guys are all AF personnel. You just don't pull it, you fix it as well.

In the Navy, there are some pretty impressive jobs on Carriers. You want to be an Aircraft Mech, I suggest you go into either the Navy or the AF and start out as one.

Now, about Auto Mech, I would avoid the Navy. But the other branches will directly give you the training for the civilian life.

Choose carefully. The chances of going from one job to another that is not related to the others is almost ZIP.

That's a hell of as plan. What if you get stuck in the infantry and can't get out? Do you think you'll want to be a grunt for 20 years?

Being a mud roller 1st class is tough at 35+. Ask me how I know.

That's a hell of as plan. What if you get stuck in the infantry and can't get out? Do you think you'll want to be a grunt for 20 years?

Well I figure even if I for some reason am unable to transfer over to 0321 from 0311 during my initial contract, after 8 years and earning my degree I imagine I should be able to re-enlist into another MOS as an officer right? In which case I imagine as I get older my role in 0321/MARSOC will slowly become less physical and more mental as I move up in the ranks and my duties begin to revolve more around strategy and command. This is all of course just my guess, I obviously have no real clue as to what I am talking about as I have never been in the military and I don't know anyone who has attempted to do what I am talking about.

I'm kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping that with enough effort and persistence I can achieve my goals; barring I end up WIA or KIA... But there's not much I can do about that so I'm just hoping for the best.

Well I figure even if I for some reason am unable to transfer over to 0321 from 0311 during my initial contract, after 8 years and earning my degree I imagine I should be able to re-enlist into another MOS as an officer right? In which case I imagine as I get older my role in 0321/MARSOC will slowly become less physical and more mental as I move up in the ranks and my duties begin to revolve more around strategy and command. This is all of course just my guess, I obviously have no real clue as to what I am talking about as I have never been in the military and I don't know anyone who has attempted to do what I am talking about.

I'm kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping that with enough effort and persistence I can achieve my goals; barring I end up WIA or KIA... But there's not much I can do about that so I'm just hoping for the best.

You might be able to rebranch; might not.

I wanted to fuck around in the infantry, then rebranch. By the time I decided I was too old to run around the woods, keeping up with teenagers and 20-somethings, it was too late. I was stuck.

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm advising you to think about it and research it.

If I'd known then what I know now, I would have gone into the Coast Guard, or the Navy in a heartbeat.

Think about from this angle...it all pays the same...lol

I don't want to transfer to another branch. It's one or the other for me. If I go USMC I'm sticking to that branch same if I were to go USAF.

...if I join the corp I would like to spend 4 years 0311-Rifleman then 4 years 0321 Recon; then spend 4 years going to college to get my degree and then go to OCS and become an officer and shoot for MARSOC where I would like to spend the next 16 years until I retired at ~50 years old.

my secondary plan is to join the USAF as a auto mechanic, then transfer to helicopter mechanic, and potentially airplane mechanic; I may or may not retire through the USAF if I did join them as I could see myself just leaving after 8 years and using those skills in the private sector.

It's good that you're putting this much detailed thought into this important decision.

At the end of your USMC plan, you'll have your retirement and any savings and investments you've made so save early, often and a lot. Invest early and wisely. Your retirement won't go far unless you've spent your career preparing but it can be done if you go in with your eyes open. Without a marketable skill to support yourself at the age of 50, you'll only be able to land entry level jobs for the better part of a decade. By then, you'll be approaching 60 and regardless of the age discrimination laws, you'll find yourself out gunned by younger competitors. Develop and get used to a low income lifestyle early. It's easy and rewarding especially if you're in it of your own choosing.

Your Air Force plan is sound. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, you may be selling yourself short. Rather than jump from auto to aircraft mechanic, go straight to aircraft mechanic. Also consider jet engine mechanic and especially avionics technician. Both are high paying jobs in the private sector. The USAF will give you excellent training and experience. Mechanic friends you work with who get out of the USAF ahead of you will help you get a job. Network your tail off while you're in and keep those contacts hot.

An important thing to consider is something you won't know about until you're in. You may not like life in the military. I saw hundreds of folks who soured on the life during my service.Your priorities also change a lot as you get older--a whole lot as you approach and enter your 30's. The more flexible your plan, the better.

Good luck and thank you for considering serving our country. With this level of forethought, you'll do well and old vets like me will be proud to see you wear the uniform of your choice.

Last edited:
I meant branch of arms, not branch of service.
Oh I see. I've heard it can be difficult to transfer into new MOS's, but I heard that 0311 can periodically try out for 0321 and depending on their PFT they have a have a high chance of moving into that MOS; I've also heard it depends on your commanding officer and their recommendation, I was just assuming that if by year 2 as 0311 I start pushing to move into 0321, by year 4 I should be able to make it in.

That said I'm not exactly clear how it works when you re-enlist, especially when you're going back in to OCS. I just assumed with 8 years of prior infantry service and potentially 4 years of 0321 that I would be a prime candidate for MARSOC; minus my age of course.

[B]williepete[/B] : I can be quite frugal. I once saved up $10K from my first job working at McDonald's while I was in high school. I figure after ~20 years in the service I'd likely already have a house paid of or nearly paid off, and enough money saved up + retirement to live relatively comfortably.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I'm still conflicted as to whether or not I want to join the USMC or USAF though. USMC is in my mind primarily because it has been for ~10 years, but also because I like a lot of the ideals associated with that branch. That said I can see that USAF would be a smarter choice in terms of material rewards; not to mention it would likely provide me with the experience needed where I could comfortably leave in 8 years and find a good paying job in the private sector. The USMC could do that as well, but I don't see myself doing anything besides infantry in the USMC; I mean if I'm going to be a mechanic it makes more sense to me to join the USAF.

So basically this mostly comes down to, is it worth it to shoot for the infantry/combat experience? Movies, books, and games like to build it up, as it is one of the most entertaining/thrilling things to watch when it comes to the military; but is the experience actually worth it? I've heard a lot more negative stories than positive ones when it comes to the outcome of those who served in the infantry. I envy the pride, and the brotherhood, and the idea of facing your fears and testing yourself to the utmost, but I can't decide whether or not I'll regret a life of combat or whether I'll be proud of what I might overcome and face.

I guess it would probably be a combination of both...

Movies, books, and games like to build it up, as it is one of the most entertaining/thrilling things to watch when it comes to the military; but is the experience actually worth it?

I pray you never find out if combat experience is worth it.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful if that's how it sounded. I just have no experience with combat, and I don't know anyone who has. Thus all my knowledge of the subject comes from the media, in it's various forms.

I just wish I could here from some people that have experienced combat, if they would have gone down the same path knowing what they do now.

No disrespect taken at all. I understand your curiosity. I just hope you never have to risk your life, limbs and mental health to satisfy your curiosity. I hope you never lose good friends. I've only seen combat remotely from the sky which is not traumatic at all. Not so much for the guys on the ground.

I'm going to a party tonight with an Army buddy who served two tours in Iraq and one tour in Afghanistan. He is physically fit but he's messed up in the head for life. If he could erase a lot of experiences from his mind, he would.

Came home on the good ship "Bountiful" with marines from Iwo and Okinawa and army from Okinawa and the PI: heard many interesting discussions about the difference in tactics and so forth. The most interesting difference was when a GI called the marines, British Regulars. But when we left the ship there was a comradeship that was even stronger or may not have existed before.

New Topics

Forum List

Back