Pros and Cons of Each Branch

Discussion in 'Military' started by 336, Dec 29, 2015.

1. 336

336 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I'm almost dead set on joining the Marines I still would like to gather more information on each branch to help solidify my position. I was hoping everyone here who has served can shed some light on the pros and cons of their particular branch.

What's the best part of your branch? What's the worst part?

2. WildBillKelsoe

WildBillKelsoe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    Ask yourself three questions:

1. What do want to do in the service?

2. Are you going to try and make a career?

3. Do you want to perform that job for 20 plus years?

I spent 20 years in the Army and I encourage any young person to consider the Coast Gaurd, Navy, Air Force, Army and Marine Corps...in that order!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daryl Hunt

Daryl Hunt Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,422
    I agree but the order. CG, AF, Navy, Marines, Army. This is also the order of complexity to get into them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 336

336 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made another topic about my plans for joining the USMC, and what I want to do. Basically if I join the corp I would like to spend 4 years 0311-Rifleman then 4 years 0321 Recon; then spend 4 years going to college to get my degree and then go to OCS and become an officer and shoot for MARSOC where I would like to spend the next 16 years until I retired at ~50 years old.

However, my secondary plan is to join the USAF as a auto mechanic, then transfer to helicopter mechanic, and potentially airplane mechanic; I may or may not retire through the USAF if I did join them as I could see myself just leaving after 8 years and using those skills in the private sector.

So I'm slightly conflicted as to what I want to do; on one hand I could devote myself to a military life (USMC) and on the other hand I could nail down a good 'job' and have a multitude of skills and benefits aid me for when I get out in the civilian world (USAF). It's a hard decision as I've always wanted to join the USMC, but my family is highly against it, especially me joining the infantry; not to mention I'm short as fuck which would seem to be a negative in terms of being in the USMC.

5. Daryl Hunt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,422
    Be careful with the job descriptions for the Army and Marines. Those can be misleading. A buddy in the Army was called a Computer Tech. In the Air Force, that's a pretty impressive job that lends itself well to civilian jobs. In the Army, he went out and pulled the boxes and turned them over to civilian repair. In the AF, the repair guys are all AF personnel. You just don't pull it, you fix it as well.

In the Navy, there are some pretty impressive jobs on Carriers. You want to be an Aircraft Mech, I suggest you go into either the Navy or the AF and start out as one.

Now, about Auto Mech, I would avoid the Navy. But the other branches will directly give you the training for the civilian life.

Choose carefully. The chances of going from one job to another that is not related to the others is almost ZIP.

6. WildBillKelsoe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    That's a hell of as plan. What if you get stuck in the infantry and can't get out? Do you think you'll want to be a grunt for 20 years?

Being a mud roller 1st class is tough at 35+. Ask me how I know.

7. Daryl Hunt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,422
    I would say that you have my respect. But it's more pity ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. 336

336 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I figure even if I for some reason am unable to transfer over to 0321 from 0311 during my initial contract, after 8 years and earning my degree I imagine I should be able to re-enlist into another MOS as an officer right? In which case I imagine as I get older my role in 0321/MARSOC will slowly become less physical and more mental as I move up in the ranks and my duties begin to revolve more around strategy and command. This is all of course just my guess, I obviously have no real clue as to what I am talking about as I have never been in the military and I don't know anyone who has attempted to do what I am talking about.

I'm kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping that with enough effort and persistence I can achieve my goals; barring I end up WIA or KIA... But there's not much I can do about that so I'm just hoping for the best.

9. WildBillKelsoe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    You might be able to rebranch; might not.

I wanted to fuck around in the infantry, then rebranch. By the time I decided I was too old to run around the woods, keeping up with teenagers and 20-somethings, it was too late. I was stuck.

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm advising you to think about it and research it.

If I'd known then what I know now, I would have gone into the Coast Guard, or the Navy in a heartbeat.

Think about from this angle...it all pays the same...lol

10. 336

336 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to transfer to another branch. It's one or the other for me. If I go USMC I'm sticking to that branch same if I were to go USAF.