Progressive Party Platform of 1912

TR_GOP

Nov 30, 2008
Thread preface:
The GOP has become a party which serves the narrowly defined agenda of financial elites, internationalist, and the defense industry. It seeks to maintain power by pursuing a divisive political strategy of fear and suspicion. It disregards rights to privacy by utilizing the private sector's shield from oversight in the course of conducting unconstitutional domestic surveillance and electronic eavesdropping. The Republican Party undermines the economic foundations of the nation by facilitating the dismantlement and overseas transfer of our manufacturing base in the name of free trade. In light of this I firmly believe the time for Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive Party has returned.

Posted for historical review; Opening paragraphs of the 1912 Progressive Party Platform.

The conscience of the people, in a time of grave national problems, has called into being a new party, born of the nation's sense of justice. We of the Progressive party here dedicate ourselves to the fulfillment of the duty laid upon us by our fathers to maintain the government of the people, by the people and for the people whose foundations they laid.

We hold with Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln that the people are the masters of their Constitution, to fulfill its purposes and to safeguard it from those who, by perversion of its intent, would convert it into an instrument of injustice. In accordance with the needs of each generation the people must use their sovereign powers to establish and maintain equal opportunity and industrial justice, to secure which this Government was founded and without which no republic can endure.

This country belongs to the people who inhabit it. Its resources, its business, its institutions and its laws should be utilized, maintained or altered in whatever manner will best promote the general interest.

It is time to set the public welfare in the first place.

THE OLD PARTIES

Political parties exist to secure responsible government and to execute the will of the people.

From these great tasks both of the old parties have turned aside. Instead of instruments to promote the general welfare, they have become the tools of corrupt interests which use them impartially to serve their selfish purposes. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.

The deliberate betrayal of its trust by the Republican party, the fatal incapacity of the Democratic party to deal with the new issues of the new time, have compelled the people to forge a new instrument of government through which to give effect to their will in laws and institutions.

Unhampered by tradition, uncorrupted by power, undismayed by the magnitude of the task, the new party offers itself as the instrument of the people to sweep away old abuses, to build a new and nobler commonwealth.

A COVENANT WITH THE PEOPLE

This declaration is our covenant with the people, and we hereby bind the party and its candidates in State and Nation to the pledges made herein.

THE RULE OF THE PEOPLE

The National Progressive party, committed to the principles of government by a self-controlled democracy expressing its will through representatives of the people, pledges itself to secure such alterations in the fundamental law of the several States and of the United States as shall insure the representative character of the government.

In particular, the party declares for direct primaries for the nomination of State and National officers, for nation-wide preferential primaries for candidates for the presidency; for the direct election of United States Senators by the people; and we urge on the States the policy of the short ballot, with responsibility to the people secured by the initiative, referendum and recall.

teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=607]Progressive Platform of 1912

Last edited:
Interesting.

I suspect however, that a third party would have a very rough time getting started and staying viable given the perceived power of the two already in existence. I also suspect that any third party in its infancy would not survive the underhanded, sneaky and corrupt political gamesmanship practiced by the two we have now.

Interesting.

I suspect however, that a third party would have a very rough time getting started and staying viable given the perceived power of the two already in existence. I also suspect that any third party in its infancy would not survive the underhanded, sneaky and corrupt political gamesmanship practiced by the two we have now.

That is an unfortunate circumstance and I agree it presents a hurdle to overcome. However if the GOP continues to stray away from Reagan's inspirational message which rallied people around the party by championing opportunity and freedom, and instead remains steadly latched to policies that enrich a global upper class while strengthening the political and military power of Communist China, they will continue to lose elections. Given enough time the GOP shall collapse upon itself. Remember Ronald Reagan broke the back of Communism, he didn't trade with it. If he knew about the state of US trade policy today he'll spin in his grave.

BTW thanks for serving CSM.

USMC, US Army Airborne

Last edited:
That is an unfortunate circumstance and I agree it presents a hurdle to overcome. However if the GOP continues to stray away from Reagan's inspirational message which rallied people around the party by championing opportunity and freedom, and instead remains steadly latched to policies that enrich a global upper class while strengthening the political and military power of Communist China, they will continue to lose elections. Given enough time the GOP shall collapse upon itself.

BTW thanks for serving CSM.

USMC, US Army Airborne

I see by your military background that you like to be beaten into submission....this board is the right place for that... welcome.

It is my opinion that the GOP has all those issues you list and many more. To say I am disgusted with the GOP and politicians in general would be a gross understatement.

There are many "third" parties in existence today, and not one of them has a chance while the Republicrat duopoly is allowed it's stranglehold in the political spectrum.

I see by your military background that you like to be beaten into submission....this board is the right place for that... welcome.

It is my opinion that the GOP has all those issues you list and many more. To say I am disgusted with the GOP and politicians in general would be a gross understatement.

the only time in the past 30 years that i felt i wasn't voting for the lesser of evils was when i voted for andersen in 1980. i really hoped it would engender a stable third party if nothing else, and i liked his positions.
didn't work out, needless to say.

I do not know how a viable third party could achieve popularity and/or prominence in this country. Funding, platform and especially acceptance by a greatly divided citizenry all seem like insurmountable problems.

From these great tasks both of the old parties have turned aside. Instead of instruments to promote the general welfare, they have become the tools of corrupt interests which use them impartially to serve their selfish purposes. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Some things never change, do they?

The above is as accurate a description of our current duelopoly as it probably was for the duelopoly of 1912.

TR saw though their bullshit, of course. He was in a position to know who the players were and the game they played since he was one of the ARISTO class from whence they came.

Much like Buchanan is right now, I might add. Or Gore Vidal, was till he kicked the bucket.

Hence TR's formed the Bull Moose Party which was primarily reponsible for the election of Woodrow Wilson.

the only time in the past 30 years that i felt i wasn't voting for the lesser of evils was when i voted for andersen in 1980. i really hoped it would engender a stable third party if nothing else, and i liked his positions.
didn't work out, needless to say.

In his second term as a Congressman, Anderson introduced a constitutional amendment that would have "recognize[d] the law and authority of Jesus Christ" over the United States.

In his second term as a Congressman, Anderson introduced a constitutional amendment that would have "recognize[d] the law and authority of Jesus Christ" over the United States.

that would be 20 years before i voted for him, but thanks, chrissie.
have an almond.

Roosevelt's philosophy for the Progressive Party was based around New Nationalism, which was the belief in a strong government to regulate industry and protect the middle and working classes. New Nationalism was paternalistic in direct contrast to Woodrow Wilson's individualistic philosophy of "New Freedom".

Thanks but we have enough paternalism in government. I'll pass. Not that I'm a Wilson fan.

Thread preface:
The GOP has become a party which serves the narrowly defined agenda of financial elites,
You mean like Franklin Raines and Jim Johnson?

internationalist,
But I thought Obama said the rest of the world hates us because of Bush!?!

and the defense industry.
Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), chairman of the House Appropriations defense panel, has secured the most earmarked dollars in the 2008 military spending bill.

It seeks to maintain power by pursuing a divisive political strategy of fear and suspicion.
So is this an example of Democrat unity? "And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them"

It disregards rights to privacy by utilizing the private sector's shield from oversight in the course of conducting unconstitutional domestic surveillance and electronic eavesdropping.
You mean like the FISA laws Obama announced support for during the campaign?

The Republican Party undermines the economic foundations of the nation by facilitating the dismantlement and overseas transfer of our manufacturing base in the name of free trade.
You mean like when Bill Clinton signed NAFTA?

You mean like Franklin Raines and Jim Johnson?

But I thought Obama said the rest of the world hates us because of Bush!?!

Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), chairman of the House Appropriations defense panel, has secured the most earmarked dollars in the 2008 military spending bill.

So is this an example of Democrat unity? "And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them"

You mean like the FISA laws Obama announced support for during the campaign?

You mean like when Bill Clinton signed NAFTA?

Excuse me, did I claim membership to the Democratic Party somewhere along the way, or excuse its complicity?

Perhaps a review of the platform is in order.

THE OLD PARTIES

Political parties exist to secure responsible government and to execute the will of the people.

To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.

The deliberate betrayal of its trust by the Republican party, the fatal incapacity of the Democratic party to deal with the new issues of the new time, have compelled the people to forge a new instrument of government through which to give effect to their will in laws and institutions.

Unhampered by tradition, uncorrupted by power, undismayed by the magnitude of the task, the new party offers itself as the instrument of the people to sweep away old abuses, to build a new and nobler commonwealth.

Excuse me, did I claim membership to the Democratic Party somewhere along the way, or excuse its complicity?

Perhaps a review of the platform is in order.

You spew Democrat talking points. If you walk like a duck...

You spew Democrat talking points. If you walk like a duck...

I reaffirm a compact signed by our founding fathers, if those ideals bother you perhaps NeoCon is your fucking label pal.

I reaffirm a compact signed by our founding fathers, if those ideals bother you perhaps NeoCon is your fucking label pal.
I don't care what you claim you are - you talk like a Democrat. I suspect you are an ashamed liberal as well.

Forum List

Back