Prof fired for daring to question?

So why wouldn't they tell him what the reasons were then?

Well, I'm sure he knows, but if the University came out and stated something like "Prof. Drapela's contract with the university was not renewed because there are repeated and compelling allegations that he was 'soliciting sex from several of his male students with the offer of tuning up their grades' or 'involved in producing illicit controlled substances'," there would have been concerns about having to provide strong evidence to support the veracity of those claims in the face of potential civil action. In this case it was apparently less trouble to simply allow his contract to expire and let any future employers worry about his work ethic, personal proclivities and/or conduct.

Rumors are rumors, and I'm not saying that these are the specific reasons he was not offered a new contract, there are many reasons a university might not offer an alumnus professor a new contract, but if he's outstanding in his field, I'm sure he will quickly find a new position. There are positions that annually go unfilled on most of the over-crowded campuses around the nation. And if he's not outstanding in his field,...you may have another potential reason he was not offered a new contract.

"I had stellar teaching evaluations, I won College of Science awards for teaching, and published textbooks. My class sections were always full and I was well-liked by students (see ratemyprofessors.com). I was doing my job very well. But I guess I didn’t march in step with their philosophies."

If you have PowerPoint --- go ahead and download the REAL REASON that Drapela got fired.. Just like the previous victim of the OSU GW Orthodox Church.

http://chemistry.oregonstate.edu/~drapelan/Global%20Warming%20Cracked%20Open.ppt

Trust me -- it's the reason...

"I had stellar teaching evaluations, I won College of Science awards for teaching, and published textbooks. My class sections were always full and I was well-liked by students (see ratemyprofessors.com). I was doing my job very well. But I guess I didn’t march in step with their philosophies."

If you have PowerPoint --- go ahead and download the REAL REASON that Drapela got fired.. Just like the previous victim of the OSU GW Orthodox Church.

http://chemistry.oregonstate.edu/~drapelan/Global%20Warming%20Cracked%20Open.ppt

Trust me -- it's the reason...

ROFLOL Self-evaluations are rarely critical. RateMyProfessors.com is a running joke, though it can help students zero in on classes where the expectations are low or the eye-candy is high (I particularly find the "hotness" rating to be useful in evaluating courses and professors!).

Fatass thinks he's true-straighter or something.

Tell us again, Fatass. What about "hotness?" Is it accelerating?

For those of you WITHOUT PowerPoint -- Who can't view the lecture at:

HERE is the reason that Drapela was fired.. Just 3 of about 20 slides. And only ONE of the PPT lectures he volunteered on his views of GW.

flacaltenn-albums-drapelafired-picture4568-drapela0.jpg

flacaltenn-albums-drapelafired-picture4569-drapelaosu1.jpg

flacaltenn-albums-drapelafired-picture4570-drapela2.jpg

15 pages of "skeptics", references to Nazi tactics, a condemnation of his own University's money making "Global Warming Institute" ----- and some "believers" deflect about a "hotness index". This guy laid out the picture in a free speech moment and got WHACKED for it. Just like the previous OSU who was WHACKED for speaking out..

Of course -- if you hate "free speech" on campus -- especially SCIENTIFIC free speech -- feel free to continue to be a DENIER about why this guy was fired..

Last edited:
An employer is not required to tell someone why they are being fired. Sometimes you don't disclose that information because it can be harm to others or to the organization.

He was not being dismissed. His contract was not renewed.

You're avoiding the question. I wonder why?
Wonder away, but that's the business of the employer, not the public. Don't you realize this is pure propaganda. There is nothing there to support the innuendo that he was fired because of his belief. In fact there is so little information, Fox can't even claim he was fired because of his beliefs, just suggest it as possibility.

I doubt Fox News would be putting out the story if the professor was fired from a Christian college and had expressed views about his belief in evolution.

Of course it’s pure propaganda, in this case the idiotic notion that a professor is being ‘silenced.’

HERE is the reason that Drapela was fired.. Just 3 of about 20 slides. And only ONE of the PPT lectures he volunteered on his views of GW.

15 pages of "skeptics", references to Nazi tactics, a condemnation of his own University's money making "Global Warming Institute" ----- and some "believers" deflect about a "hotness index". This guy laid out the picture in a free speech moment and got WHACKED for it. Just like the previous OSU who was WHACKED for speaking out..

Of course -- if you hate "free speech" on campus -- especially SCIENTIFIC free speech -- feel free to continue to be a DENIER about why this guy was fired..

For some chem prof, who couldn't figure out the three-atom tendency, of atmospheric molecules, for posting 15 pages of asshole skeptics, when skeptics are a shitload, get the axe, up. For references to Nazi tactics, swing the axe, for blood and honor, and fuck you. For condemnation of OSU's GWI, eat shit, you're gone, already.

This dude Drapela was WACKY. I wouldn't load that shit. I started to load that, but I cancelled it. If you're into it, post the shit about Nazis and the GWI, Fatass.

You're avoiding the question. I wonder why?
Wonder away, but that's the business of the employer, not the public. Don't you realize this is pure propaganda. There is nothing there to support the innuendo that he was fired because of his belief. In fact there is so little information, Fox can't even claim he was fired because of his beliefs, just suggest it as possibility.

I doubt Fox News would be putting out the story if the professor was fired from a Christian college and had expressed views about his belief in evolution.

Don't need to wonder -- don't care what Fox News Reported.. Here's the facts that you need to ignore in order to just brush this off as unrelated to the Ministry and Religion of Global Warming..

From the Letter that Gordon Fulks circulated in support of Drapela..

Five years ago, Oregon State Climatologist George Taylor went around quietly saying that he was not a believer. Then Governor Ted Kulongoski and many faculty at OSU including Dr. Jane Lubchenco made life impossible for Taylor, and he retired. (Lubchenco is now head of NOAA in the Obama administration.) Under those currently in charge, OSU climate research has grown to be a huge business, reportedly $90 million per year with no real deliverables beyond solid academic support for climate hysteria.

We can only speculate as to how the decision to fire Drapela was made. Unlike the decision to force Taylor out (which came from the governor’s office), this decision was likely internal to OSU with the implicit backing of Governor Kitzhaber and NOAA administrator Lubchenco. I would suspect that Dr. Phil Mote (Director of their Climate Change Research Institute) had a hand in the decision, because he has previously been highly intolerant of those who oppose his ideas and could potentially threaten his business empire.

HUGE economic business at OSU.. Political pressure to fire George Taylor (who IS going to court) and REWARDS of being named Director of NOAA for harassing the heretics.. What other evidence do you need? They did it before. And they got rewarded for it..

Drapela had an excellent teaching record at OSU -- just like Taylor did.. In Drapela's words..

It’s just a sad, sad state of affairs that an institution like OSU would fire a good employee for (ostensibly) no reason and then run around and hide from the person they fired. I had stellar teaching evaluations, I won College of Science awards for teaching, and published textbooks. My class sections were always full and I was well-liked by students (see ratemyprofessors.com). I was doing my job very well. But I guess I didn’t march in step with their philosophies.

Really isn't a stretch to establish a pattern of harrassment and bias on the part of OSU Science Dept.. Not at all.... It's obvious...
From your quote it says “We can only speculate as to how the decision to fire Drapela was made.” Then you say “What other evidence do you need”? I Would say more than a speculation from a quote without a link.

It's a widely circulated letter from fellow OSU professor Fulks... Excuse me -- but with your strong opinion on the matter, I ASSUMED you'd already seen it..

Nick Drapela’s Firing — Guest post by Gordon Fulks | Applied Climate LLC

Did you see sample slides I clipped from Drapela's AGW presentation? That and the previous firing of Taylor and the fact that Fulks is probably next is kinda strong "wondering" ain't it? Unless you have a vested interest to IGNORE this kind of inquisition..

the stench of hypocrisy is pretty thick in this thread. I can think of more than a few professors that should have been let go for cause, yet they are kept on in the name of 'free speech'. here we have a professor that is let go for no apparent cause other than a politically incorrect viewpoint, with no explanation by the university, yet many here would just accept the firing as justified because of deferment to authority. interesting.

For some chem prof, who couldn't figure out the three-atom tendency, of atmospheric molecules, for posting 15 pages of asshole skeptics, when skeptics are a shitload, get the axe, up. For references to Nazi tactics, swing the axe, for blood and honor, and fuck you. For condemnation of OSU's GWI, eat shit, you're gone, already.

This dude Drapela was WACKY. I wouldn't load that shit. I started to load that, but I cancelled it. If you're into it, post the shit about Nazis and the GWI, Fatass.
I am loving your posts about chemistry. They make me laugh. A lot.

the stench of hypocrisy is pretty thick in this thread. I can think of more than a few professors that should have been let go for cause, yet they are kept on in the name of 'free speech'. here we have a professor that is let go for no apparent cause other than a politically incorrect viewpoint, with no explanation by the university, yet many here would just accept the firing as justified because of deferment to authority. interesting.
Unfortunately for him, he was not on tenure track. Anyone who is (or was) in academia knows that you toe the U line if you do not yet have tenure.

Good for him teaching his students to think critically, too. I wish him luck in finding a new position...hopefully tenure track. Which means, we won't hear a peep from him for at least six years.

Unfortunately for him, he was not on tenure track. Anyone who is (or was) in academia knows that you toe the U line if you do not yet have tenure.

Good for him teaching his students to think critically, too. I wish him luck in finding a new position...hopefully tenure track. Which means, we won't hear a peep from him for at least six years.

The stench of IanCrapforbrains is thick, by itself. Name your professors, Crapforbrains. Quote your straw-dog "free speech" issues, or link to them, asshole. Nobody should believe an idiot like you, who loves false controversy.

If OSU kept Drapela, OSU would suck. Good luck getting a teacher, who happens to be an irrational, ranting skeptic, who blindly opposes history and global warming science, to be smart. Skeptics get stupider and more desperate. Global warming science is getting better, all the time. Drapela is an idiot, who kept issuing bad media, so GOOD-BYE.

You IDIOTS who keep offering bad media and patting each other on your asses are ridiculous. You can't go off, like Drapela, and stay, at a good school. Look at what Fatass posted. Load Drapela's rants, and post some of that, over here, if you think Fatass didn't do enough. But first, you have to load all Drapela's crap, on your PC.

Good luck growing a brain, since if you can't get how three atoms and more in an atmospheric molecule contributes to the greenhouse effect, YOU ARE TOO STUPID, FOR COLLEGE, so don't try to be a professor.

If you list your fellow retards, who aren't chemists, if you allege "Nazi" tactics, when you suck, and if you go against the OSU GWI, that is THREE STRIKES, DDs!

When the Giants come to town (and GHGs), it's BYE-BYE, BABY! Black and orange won the World Series, 2010, a very warm year. Gas, change-up, MORE GAS. Pitch, don't bitch, stupid idiots. OSU has good baseball. You idiots never played or watched.

Global warming is a real threat, to human habitat. So wait until bye-bye baby time, if you are both stupid enough and lucky enough. Assholes!

Last edited:

The stench of IanCrapforbrains is thick, by itself. Name your professors, Crapforbrains. Quote your straw-dog "free speech" issues, or link to them, asshole. Nobody should believe an idiot like you, who loves false controversy.

If OSU kept Drapela, OSU would suck. Good luck getting a teacher, who happens to be an irrational, ranting skeptic, who blindly opposes history and global warming science, to be smart. Skeptics get stupider and more desperate. Global warming science is getting better, all the time. Drapela is an idiot, who kept issuing bad media, so GOOD-BYE.

You IDIOTS who keep offering bad media and patting each other on your asses are ridiculous. You can't go off, like Drapela, and stay, at a good school. Look at what Fatass posted. Load Drapela's rants, and post some of that, over here, if you think Fatass didn't do enough. But first, you have to load all Drapela's crap, on your PC.

Good luck growing a brain, since if you can't get how three atoms and more in an atmospheric molecule contributes to the greenhouse effect, YOU ARE TOO STUPID, FOR COLLEGE, so don't try to be a professor.

If you list your fellow retards, who aren't chemists, if you allege "Nazi" tactics, when you suck, and if you go against the OSU GWI, that is THREE STRIKES, DDs!

When the Giants come to town (and GHGs), it's BYE-BYE, BABY! Black and orange won the World Series, 2010, a very warm year. Gas, change-up, MORE GAS. Pitch, don't bitch, stupid idiots. OSU has good baseball. You idiots never played or watched.

Global warming is a real threat, to human habitat. So wait until bye-bye baby time, if you are both stupid enough and lucky enough. Assholes!
:lmao:

valium_bottle_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Prof. Nicholas Drapela wasn't burned at the stake. I put this fella up there with Ward Churchill. Their opinions are counter to popular opinion and widely dispersed. Plenty of folks share that opinion. So? My understanding of employers rights is that they can fire an employee with no explanation what so ever. (I think this guy is an deluded fool, but that is besides the point). Here in the midwest we are suffering though a heat wave the likes I haven't seen in my 60 years. I feel for the guy, at least Oregon State could have had the backbone to declare their reasons for the dismissal. But besides whining here on the internet, there isn't a darned thing anyone can do about it.

Last edited:
Prof. Nicholas Drapela wasn't burned at the stake. I feel for the guy, at least Oregon State could have had the backbone to declare their reasons for the dismissal. But besides whining here on the internet, there isn't a darned thing anyone can do about it.

Never, ever say more than you have to. That is what Drapela did, see Fatass' (flacaltenn) downloaded media, relating to Drapela's presentation. He said too much, while communicating dementia.

If you communicate dementia, by being a chem prof, with 1. inability to grok greenhouse effect of three-atom or more molecules, and 2. tendency to rant, about skeptics (15 pages worth of idiots who don't have to understand chem), and 3. rant, about "Nazi" media, and 4. diss of OSU's GWI, HEY!

If you do all of the above, you should get fired, let go, not rehired, set free, shagged in the butt by the Huskies, fucked in the ass by the Ducks, bit on the ass by the Cougs, ignored by the rest of the conference, and nobody should tell you anything, lest you make a case, when you shouldn't.

Prof. Nicholas Drapela wasn't burned at the stake. I put this fella up there with Ward Churchill. Their opinions are counter to popular opinion and widely dispersed. Plenty of folks share that opinion. So? My understanding of employers rights is that they can fire an employee with no explanation what so ever. (I think this guy is an deluded fool, but that is besides the point). Here in the midwest we are suffering though a heat wave the likes I haven't seen in my 60 years. I feel for the guy, at least Oregon State could have had the backbone to declare their reasons for the dismissal. But besides whining here on the internet, there isn't a darned thing anyone can do about it.

Hello MaryL: Don't think we've met..

Ward Churchill lived in a rough and tumble field of opinion and political power players. A chemistry teacher --- not so much..

Lemme cop to something here.. Drapela made a mistake. He took aim thru his "dissent" presentations at the OSU Climate group. He made it personal and confused scientific dissent with whistle blowing.. I understand that he resented the political aspect of all that power and money being brought into academia. But he should have stuck to his duty to inform students of the "minority" report on the subject. You can see from the slides I posted how offended he was at this inquisition style of scientific bullying.. And he stooped to their level..

Plenty of scientists are able to keep their faith, their politics, and their work separate. A lot of us would like to keep it that way.. There actually are things that can be done about it..

One is to show the pattern of harrassment and deception that the AGW hierarchy relies on. When Al Gore's neck veins are sticking out -- you have a visual of that. We need to keep that and the ClimateGate scandal in the public record. Secondly, many professional "dissenters" are separating themselves from the professional organization who lie to the public about a UNIFIED, UNANIMOUS consent on AGW within their membership.. Professional orgs NEED members. But those orgs do little to protect them. (Just like AARP found out after schilling their own financial interests on ObamaCare.)

Science doesn't need martyrs. I'm not trying to create one. Only to spread the message about how the process has been perverted by politicians screaming about the "debate being over". And universities selectively silencing dissent for the benefit of research dollars and political prestige.

Forum List

Back