CDZ Problems With The Modern GOP

Hi folks! I was hoping for an intelligent, civil discussion on what I see as some major problems with the Republican party in the modern age (say, Reagan through Trump). Yes, I think Democrats have problems. No side in US politics is without hypocrisy, fault, and the like. Maybe I'll do another thread about that, but for now, this one is focused on the GOP.

See, I grew up respecting Republicans even though I was a Democrat. But I'm struggling these days to find that respect again. IMO, here are those major problems.

1. Doctrinal Purity: I'm worried by the trend towards policing Republicans for being ideologically impure. The GOP used to be a big tent party, but these days, I see too many RINO accusations. It seems like any Republican who deviates from core principals like low taxes or pro-life can be considered a traitor to the cause. I think this is why the GOP has been unable to change and adapt, such as reaching out to Hispanics.

The Rinos have been increasingly assholes. The issues are reaching tipping points that require desperate action. Citing the failure of the GOP to reach out to Hispanics in an environment of massive and constant race baiting by the left is not acceptable.

2. Rejection Of Research And Science: I get that facts can be slippery and that studies, stats, etc. can be skewed. But there seems to be a growing trend in the Republican Party to outright reject research and science. Global warming is not a question, yet many Republicans deny it. Evolution and the Big Bang are valid theories that work, but Republicans often reject both. I just don't get it, and I cannot see how the GOP can effectively lead by demonizing science.

Your post reeks of partisan bias and confirmation bias.

3. Fiscal irresponsibility: Back when I was young, I held two idea: Democrats spend like crazy, and Republicans tighten budgets. But in recent years, I've seen the opposite. Republicans sometimes lower taxes, but they rarely decrease spending. In fact, the best changes to our national debt and deficits have come under Democratic presidents. These days, I fully expect Republicans to spend like crazy.

If you were serious about this, you would note that the conservative "panic mongering" over the impact of Social Security on savings and government budgets has been completely borne out.

Your desire to undermine republicans by wanting to see them try to address this Third Rail of your creation is noted and rejected. The budget is in free fall and will remain so until it crashes. We aren't throwing ourselves on that grenade for you.

4. Valuing Winning Over Morality: Whether you agree with Trump's policies or not, one thing is factually accurate: Trump is not a good person. He's not evil, but he bragged about sexual assault and lies very often. Even his "straight talk" is suspect and bullying. Compare him to Reagan, and you'll see what I mean. But not only did he win the GOP nomination, Republicans continue to support him no matter what he does. It seems to me that The Republican Party values winning elections over being a good person.

Do you agree that these problems exist? As usual, respect will be returned. Due to this forum's rules, disrespect will simply be ignored.

He did not brag about sexual assault. This post is invalid.[/QUOTE]

1) Sorry, but it looks like you're blaming others for your party's failure. Hispanics are Americans, too. Just because they're not white doesn't mean you can ignore them under the guide of "race baiting".

2) "Reeks of partisan bias"? Maybe. That's why I wanted a discussion and civil debate on it. I could very well be wrong. But if you don't want to participate, then just don't post.

3) AFAIK, Social Security would be just fine if Congress didn't raid it to patch budget holes. And it's hard to take "panic mongering" about the budget seriously when they add to the problem with spending increases and tax cuts.

And I'm not asking anyone to touch a third rail or grenade for me. I asked for a debate. Again, if you cannot handle that, I respectfully suggest you stay quiet. But then again, this is a public forum — you are free to do what you want.

4) Trump: "I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.” That's bragging about sexual assault. Case closed. But if you'd like to discount that point, there's the larger and more important one of Trump's behavior being ignored because he won.[/QUOTE]

1. The fact that you can POST "they let you do it" while thinking that you are supporting an accusation of sexual assault shows you to be unable to see or hear even what your are saying, though your partisan filters.

2. The GOP has not ignored Hispanics. We are the victims are your sides, successful race baiting. It is poor form to inflict a wound and then blame the entity you injured for their hurt.

3. Social security and other entitlement spending are not fine. A program that counts on generations of politicians not touching a big pile of money with no oversight is a fatally flawed program.

4. And yes you are, Asking Republicans to take the hit for fiscal responsibility.

And I'm not asking anyone to touch a third rail or grenade for me. I asked for a debate. Again, if you cannot handle that, I respectfully suggest you stay quiet. But then again, this is a public forum — you are free to do what you want.

4) Trump: "I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.” That's bragging about sexual assault. Case closed. But if you'd like to discount that point, there's the larger and more important one of Trump's behavior being ignored because he won.
Wow. You are like a little hurt schoolgirl. You dishonestly laid this turd in the CDZ so you could insult people that you disagree with. You don't want a debate, you want to smear people.

Yep, Trump made a crude comment in private. Go ahead and ask one. No one claims he did it. AND the lefties have no problem with Bill Clinton's history. That's disingenuous.

Hi folks! I was hoping for an intelligent, civil discussion on what I see as some major problems with the Republican party in the modern age (say, Reagan through Trump). Yes, I think Democrats have problems. No side in US politics is without hypocrisy, fault, and the like. Maybe I'll do another thread about that, but for now, this one is focused on the GOP.

See, I grew up respecting Republicans even though I was a Democrat. But I'm struggling these days to find that respect again. IMO, here are those major problems.

1. Doctrinal Purity: I'm worried by the trend towards policing Republicans for being ideologically impure. The GOP used to be a big tent party, but these days, I see too many RINO accusations. It seems like any Republican who deviates from core principals like low taxes or pro-life can be considered a traitor to the cause. I think this is why the GOP has been unable to change and adapt, such as reaching out to Hispanics.

2. Rejection Of Research And Science: I get that facts can be slippery and that studies, stats, etc. can be skewed. But there seems to be a growing trend in the Republican Party to outright reject research and science. Global warming is not a question, yet many Republicans deny it. Evolution and the Big Bang are valid theories that work, but Republicans often reject both. I just don't get it, and I cannot see how the GOP can effectively lead by demonizing science.

3. Fiscal irresponsibility: Back when I was young, I held two idea: Democrats spend like crazy, and Republicans tighten budgets. But in recent years, I've seen the opposite. Republicans sometimes lower taxes, but they rarely decrease spending. In fact, the best changes to our national debt and deficits have come under Democratic presidents. These days, I fully expect Republicans to spend like crazy.

4. Valuing Winning Over Morality: Whether you agree with Trump's policies or not, one thing is factually accurate: Trump is not a good person. He's not evil, but he bragged about sexual assault and lies very often. Even his "straight talk" is suspect and bullying. Compare him to Reagan, and you'll see what I mean. But not only did he win the GOP nomination, Republicans continue to support him no matter what he does. It seems to me that The Republican Party values winning elections over being a good person.

Do you agree that these problems exist? As usual, respect will be returned. Due to this forum's rules, disrespect will simply be ignored.
The Republicans have dived into a sea of corporatism and globalism. I think that's their biggest problem.
AGW is the problem. Not natural earth evolution. Number 2 is just malarkey
Number 4 is a duopoly problem. Both sides are so partisan now it makes me sick to my stomach. Republicans deny like crazy and the dems have actually turned to violence and destruction. Its sad.
Corporatism I see, but how globalism? I see them being increasingly isolationist.

Sorry, but I've read of GOP folks denying global warming at all (see Limbaugh's claims the earth is cooling, not warming) and that evolution is a Satanic lie. I don't know how you can call #2 malarkey with such evidence.

As for duopoly, I don't see that as a duopoly problem. Better put, I agree that there's a duopoly on US politics, but I don't see how Republican denials or accusations that Dems are violent applies to my proposition that Reps are more concerned with winning than morality.

Sorry, but I've read of GOP folks denying global warming at all

And then you have Dems whining about GMOs, vaccines and nuclear energy.
I agree that Dems and libs need to shut up about GMOs, vaccines, and nuclear power. But that's not germane to the thread, and it does not validate denying global warming.

You claimed that the GOP there is a trend "within the GOP" to reject "science".

THat makes any science rejection on the part of the Dems relevant as it addresses the "within gop" point.

In fact, the best changes to our national debt and deficits have come under Democratic presidents.

Under Obama, the national debt went from $10.6 trillion to $19.9 trillion.

Is that the best change?
The national debt under Obama increased by around 60% according to your numbers. The national debut under Reagan increased by 190%. Plus, the deficit under Obama increased but by it's smallest rate in years.

The national debt under Obama increased by around 60% according to your numbers

No, Obama's increase of $9.3 trillion is about 88%.

The national debut under Reagan increased by 190%.

Reagan's increase of $1.86 trillion won the Cold War. Freed hundreds of millions of people.
Made the world a safer place.

How much safer are we after Obama's addition of 5 times as much?

Plus, the deficit under Obama increased but by it's smallest rate in years.

He added, on average, over $1 trillion per year to the debt, you sure that's something to brag about?

Last edited:

The Republicans have dived into a sea of corporatism and globalism. I think that's their biggest problem.
Number 4 is a duopoly problem. Both sides are so partisan now it makes me sick to my stomach. Republicans deny like crazy and the dems have actually turned to violence and destruction. Its sad.
Corporatism I see, but how globalism? I see them being increasingly isolationist.

Sorry, but I've read of GOP folks denying global warming at all (see Limbaugh's claims the earth is cooling, not warming) and that evolution is a Satanic lie. I don't know how you can call #2 malarkey with such evidence.

As for duopoly, I don't see that as a duopoly problem. Better put, I agree that there's a duopoly on US politics, but I don't see how Republican denials or accusations that Dems are violent applies to my proposition that Reps are more concerned with winning than morality.

I agree that Dems and libs need to shut up about GMOs, vaccines, and nuclear power. But that's not germane to the thread, and it does not validate denying global warming.

THat makes any science rejection on the part of the Dems relevant as it addresses the "within gop" point.
He/she wants to dictate the answers to the loaded questions. What a joke.

But that's not germane to the thread

How is scientific idiocy on the Dem side not germane to a discussion about scientific idiocy?

and it does not validate denying global warming.

If Dems thought global warming was so dangerous, they should support nuclear. No CO2, right?

LIke many liberals, he is convinced that his opin

How is scientific idiocy on the Dem side not germane to a discussion about scientific idiocy?

If Dems thought global warming was so dangerous, they should support nuclear. No CO2, right?

Anyone who wants to discuss Global Warming but doesn't want to discuss nuclear power is not being serious.

1) Sorry, but it looks like you're blaming others for your party's failure. Hispanics are Americans, too. Just because they're not white doesn't mean you can ignore them under the guide of "race baiting".

2) "Reeks of partisan bias"? Maybe. That's why I wanted a discussion and civil debate on it. I could very well be wrong. But if you don't want to participate, then just don't post.

3) AFAIK, Social Security would be just fine if Congress didn't raid it to patch budget holes. And it's hard to take "panic mongering" about the budget seriously when they add to the problem with spending increases and tax cuts.

4) Trump: "I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.” That's bragging about sexual assault. Case closed. But if you'd like to discount that point, there's the larger and more important one of Trump's behavior being ignored because he won.

1. The fact that you can POST "they let you do it" while thinking that you are supporting an accusation of sexual assault shows you to be unable to see or hear even what your are saying, though your partisan filters.

2. The GOP has not ignored Hispanics. We are the victims are your sides, successful race baiting. It is poor form to inflict a wound and then blame the entity you injured for their hurt.

3. Social security and other entitlement spending are not fine. A program that counts on generations of politicians not touching a big pile of money with no oversight is a fatally flawed program.

4. And yes you are, Asking Republicans to take the hit for fiscal responsibility.
1) Is there are reason you cannot read Trump's quote when he says, "I just start kissing them"? That's sexual assault. Seriously, I get that you want to defend Trump no matter what, but you're not paying attention to actual words. Partisan filters? Pot, kettle, black.

2) Can you provide examples of this so-called race-baiting? And are you saying the modern GOP is so feckless that they cannot defeat some liberals and successfully pull in Hispanic voters in any significant degree? Or will your explanation baselessly reference Soros, HRC, socialism, and the mainstream media? :)

3) LOL, so you're saying the reason SocSec is bad is because politicians are corrupt? Geez, you sound like a liberal blaming guns for what people do with them. Same damn logic.

4) As I said, I grew up thinking Dems were poor with money and Reps were fiscally responsible. In the past 20 years, I've seen Reps grow irresponsible, especially by making tax cuts without spending cuts. So no, I'm not asking Reps to take a hit for anything because I already said the Dems were irresponsible.

ME: Let's talk about problems with the Republican Party.
YOU: Okay, here's what's wrong with the Democratic Party.

I guess what you're trying to say is that my claim of the GOP rejecting science is fine because the Democrats do that as well?

Let me make the question more clear: Do you think the modern Republican Party has a problem with rejecting science and research? After all, I could very well be incorrect. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that since you appear to be conservative.

The GOP is pro business while the DEM's are pro people.

The DEMs will always rule as long as they can provide competent leadership like FDR, Truman, Kennedy, LBJ, W.J. Clinton, or BHO (without the obstruction of the GOP).

The GOP can only take over during times of discontent with the DEMs.

That happened with Ike, Reagan, and now with DJT.

Currently the GOP is fractured between their fanatical far right and their moderate middle. This is likely to ensure that they will accomplish nothing in the coming 4 years.

I guess what you're trying to say is that my claim of the GOP rejecting science is fine because the Democrats do that as well?

Let me make the question more clear: Do you think the modern Republican Party has a problem with rejecting science and research? After all, I could very well be incorrect. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that since you appear to be conservative.
Hillary and her lies, like the monumental lies of Mitt Romney, is what is/was wrong with the DEMs.

Global warming is science.

Prevention of global warming is junk science.

Stifling business and growth to accommodate the myth of prevention of global warming is political suicide.

In fact, the best changes to our national debt and deficits have come under Democratic presidents.

Under Obama, the national debt went from $10.6 trillion to $19.9 trillion.

Is that the best change?
The national debt under Obama increased by around 60% according to your numbers. The national debut under Reagan increased by 190%. Plus, the deficit under Obama increased but by it's smallest rate in years.

The national debt under Obama increased by around 60% according to your numbers

No, Obama's increase of $9.3 trillion is about 88%.

The national debut under Reagan increased by 190%.

Reagan's increase of $1.86 trillion won the Cold War. Freed hundreds of millions of people.
Made the world a safer place.

How much safer are we after Obama's addition of 5 times as much?

Plus, the deficit under Obama increased but by it's smallest rate in years.

He added, on average, over $1 trillion per year to the debt, you sure that's something to brag about?
My apologies for doing my math wrong re: 60% vs 88%. I divided by the wrong number. :( I'm still seeing 68% as Obama's number, but I'll run with yours to avoid being sidetracked.

I see how you 1) ignored how Reagan's 190% is over twice as much as Obama's 88%, and 2) how you gave Reagan a pass for his massive increase. If you're giving out passes, then Obama deserves one. That's because he inherited the Great Recession from the housing bubble, decreasing tax revenues.

From what I can find online:
- Obama: 88% increase
- Bush: 101% increase
- Clinton: 32% increase
- Bush: 54% increase
- Reagan: 190% increase
- Carter: 43% increase

Who sent you here ?!

Reince ?!

LIke many liberals, he is convinced that his opin

Anyone who wants to discuss Global Warming but doesn't want to discuss nuclear power is not being serious.
Anyone who goes into a thread about the Republican Party and wants to discuss the Democratic Party is derailing that thread. Which I thought was not permitted in this this clean zone, but that's beyond my pay grade.

See, here's the thing: I do not want to discuss global warming. That's an example, not a subject. But hey, free country and all that. Avoid the main topic if you can't handle it.

1) Is there are reason you cannot read Trump's quote when he says, "I just start kissing them"? That's sexual assault. Seriously, I get that you want to defend Trump no matter what, but you're not paying attention to actual words. Partisan filters? Pot, kettle, black.

2) Can you provide examples of this so-called race-baiting? And are you saying the modern GOP is so feckless that they cannot defeat some liberals and successfully pull in Hispanic voters in any significant degree? Or will your explanation baselessly reference Soros, HRC, socialism, and the mainstream media? :)

3) LOL, so you're saying the reason SocSec is bad is because politicians are corrupt? Geez, you sound like a liberal blaming guns for what people do with them. Same damn logic.

4) As I said, I grew up thinking Dems were poor with money and Reps were fiscally responsible. In the past 20 years, I've seen Reps grow irresponsible, especially by making tax cuts without spending cuts. So no, I'm not asking Reps to take a hit for anything because I already said the Dems were irresponsible.
WRONG. Sexual assault is physical. There are no laws against saying you do x y or z. Lots of men talk that way in private, go ahead and ask one.

You are not very well informed. But highly opinionated I notice.

Another election surprise: Many Hispanics backed Trump

The Hispanic vote was bigger and more influential in the 2016 presidential election, just as predicted, but it also provided one surprise: more support for President-elect Donald Trump than expected.

Hispanics favored Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton 65% to 29%, a 36-point difference that helped her secure winning margins in states like Nevada and Colorado and kept her competitive late into the night in other key battleground states.

But that margin, based on exit polling conducted by Edison Research, was smaller than the 71%-27% split that President Obama won in 2012. And it was smaller than the 72%-21% her husband, former president Bill Clinton, won in 1996.

Democrats spend much more than Republicans, chanting your mindless meme over and over can't change facts.

Hillary and her lies, like the monumental lies of Mitt Romney, is what is/was wrong with the DEMs.
Sadly, you are *exactly* what's wrong with modern politics on both sides. You cannot find fault with your side. You can't even talk about it. You're sticking your fingers in your ears and going, "LALALALALALALALA." Until you grow up some, I'm done with you. Take care.

Sadly, you are *exactly* what's wrong with modern politics on both sides. You cannot find fault with your side. You can't even talk about it. You're sticking your fingers in your ears and going, "LALALALALALALALA." Until you grow up some, I'm done with you. Take care.
Problem is you demonize the right and claim someone is partisan if they don't agree with you.

Forum List

Back