Private Funding For Ebola Battle: An Idea For Abandoned Schools

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg will donate $25 million to combat the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus.
The money will go to the CDC Foundation, the charitable organization that raises and distributes funds on behalf the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to public health organizations. Zuckerberg donates 25 million to fight Ebola - Oct. 14 2014

I guess that's a pretty famous story by now. But the thing is that more companies like Microsoft, Apple, Chevron [big presence in Nigeria I believe] etc. could be pitching into the pool.

And specifically for you big $$ donors out there, here are some ideas utilizing abandoned schools or other type public buildings for localized epidemic-treatment centers: Ebola Containment In The Us Your Thoughts Ideas US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Abandoned schools would be great because they already have the plumbing, a good start on perimeter security [existing high chain link fences could be augmented with concertina-wire]. They come equipped with kitchens for feeding on-site staff, many classrooms which could be further subdivided into personal isolation wards. They are wired for multiple electric outlets. They have an office/command center and large exterior grounds where incinerators could be placed on-site for 100% waste disposal.

They also usually have an operable intercom system which goes into all the buildings and exterior grounds. I mean, aside from the beds, linens and IVs, they are essentially hospitals in the making. This would take the least amount of money to put in the maximum amount of care in the least amount of time.

Decontamination could be made into segmentized and partitioned gymnasiums, with their high ceilings and room to install ventilation systems and disinfectant reservoirs/sources for overhead showering before attendants remove waterproof protective gear.

Staff sleeping quarters could be brought in distant from the medical area in mobile classroom units converted to barracks.

Any takers?

Last edited:
How about Detroit?
:lmao:

OK, all kidding aside, the transportation of patients opens up more people to exposure. Plus, ebola isn't the only epidemic we might want to sequester in this way. It just makes sense to have one localized "medi-isolation unit" apart from general hospital popuations...FAR apart... run by Uncle Sam...to minimize lawsuits and put the care and command of these "enemies" into the National Guard's care and away from the general population.

As highly mobile as we are, we need at least one of these in each county in the US, if not each town.

Sounds vaguely nazi like.

This conversation is only for those people who are interested in saving many lives from a deadly epidemic. Those people willing to allow people to die in favor of making some political statement [like the nazis did] can leave the conversation.

How about Detroit?
What I should have said before is maybe Detroit would be OK if we could figure out that all ebola outbreaks would occur there. I think the speed with which individual symptomatic patients can be quarantined is paramount to stemming the epidemic.

Sounds vaguely nazi like.
How about Detroit?
What I should have said before is maybe Detroit would be OK if we could figure out that all ebola outbreaks would occur there. I think the speed with which individual symptomatic patients can be quarantined is paramount to stemming the epidemic.
I agree that Detroit would be logistically difficult and the Canadians will undoubtedly make a fuss, but think of the benefits.

Forum List

Back