PRIVACY! Does it exist anymore?

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
On another thread members are discussings right to privacy issues in random checkpoints set up by law enforcement personnel. I have no problem with that because I feel I have a responsibility to be law abiding when I get out on public roads and if I choose not to use the public roads, then I don't have to deal with law enforcement.

BUT. . . . .

New issues are surfacing all the time.

I can type my home phone number into my browser and VOILA!!! I see my name, my husband's name, full physical address, age, and other personal information plastered right up there in full view on my monitor screen.

And did you know those photos you post on Facebook or here on USMB can be telegraphing the exact location those photos were taken?

Look at this:

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

I'm not naive. I know skip tracers, P.I.'s, law enforcement and other government officials have all sorts of means to find out just about anything about me they want to know. We can all still run but it is becoming increasingly difficult to hide.

Does this bother you? Or do you see it as simply inevitable in the modern technological age?

On another thread members are discussings right to privacy issues in random checkpoints set up by law enforcement personnel. I have no problem with that because I feel I have a responsibility to be law abiding when I get out on public roads and if I choose not to use the public roads, then I don't have to deal with law enforcement.

BUT. . . . .

I can type my home phone number into my browser and VOILA!!! I see my name, my husband's name, full physical address, age, and other personal information plastered right up there in full view on my monitor screen.

And did you know those photos you post on Facebook or here on USMB can be telegraphing the exact location those photos were taken?

Look at this:

I'm not naive. I know skip tracers, P.I.'s, law enforcement and other government officials have all sorts of means to find out just about anything about me they want to know. We can all still run but it is becoming increasingly difficult to hide.

Does this bother you? Or do you see it as simply inevitable in the modern technological age?

It bothers me that we are so watched... I think privacy is a thing of the past.

Such a waste of money by the government and private enterprises also..

Do you think Digital cameras should come with a warning that any photos you take will contain a GPS location of where the picture was taken? Should we require that there be a way to turn off this feature?

Information such as name, spouse and or kids names, full physical address, age, and other personal information has been public for quite some time. Before the internet, a great deal of one's information was public in phone books and elsewhere.

Name, address, and phone number of people yes. People who want that information to be public so that friends and family can contact them. And you do not HAVE to include that information in the phone book. Many people have non listed or non published numbers so that people can't find them.

I gave nobody permission to put my name, age, address, vocation, names of some of my relatives on the internet. But its all there.

According to the menus my cell GPS is disabled unless I diall 911.
Of course it could be lying to me :)

Privacy? Long gone just a pipe dream now. The fearful have eagerly given it up over the decades.

Privacy? Long gone just a pipe dream now. The fearful have eagerly given it up over the decades.

Damn that is so true...:(

I mean who wanted to be unpartiotic and oppose the Partiot act?

Bush was reelected in 2004 on the promise of keeping us safe.
Fearmingering works very well on Americans.

I mean who wanted to be unpartiotic and oppose the Partiot act?

Bush was reelected in 2004 on the promise of keeping us safe.
Fearmingering works very well on Americans.

How long until we're required to receive the mark... chips anyone..?

I've got a cousin that has been in the Army for almost 6 years and he's a Privacy. He's been a corporal a time or two but he seems to like it best as a Privacy...

NO!

They have cameras now that can peer through the walls of your house and show what you are doing. Not a real picture but an image, so if you are doing you know what in your bed it will show that. They can hear through the windows with listening devices across the street to go with the image.

But why would you want hide? Have you done something wrong? Or who are you hiding from is a better question.

Who would I want to hide from? Oh I don't know. Some nut who has developed an unhealthy and lethal fetish or fantasy imagining that I am somebody very different from who I am. Maybe somebody who has been stalking me for years and who I finally gave the slip. None of that is a problem I know about but you asked who I would want to hide from.

If I was a battered wife out of the situation, I wouldn't want the ex to know my pattern of shopping or activities. If you have a sex pervert obsessed with your kids, you would like to feel safe posting their pictures in a thread or on Facebook without worrying that the photo contained a GPS location that would be useful to such a person.

The point is not so much who most of us want to hide from, but the fact that we can't share innocent photos or information with others without telegraphing to the whole world where we are. I had no idea that this was a problem with digital cameras. Did you?

I think privacy, as we once thought of it, is gone for good, Foxfyre. All that's left is anonymity....and you make a great point. What is happening to victims of stalkers?

Who would I want to hide from? Oh I don't know. Some nut who has developed an unhealthy and lethal fetish or fantasy imagining that I am somebody very different from who I am. Maybe somebody who has been stalking me for years and who I finally gave the slip. None of that is a problem I know about but you asked who I would want to hide from.

If I was a battered wife out of the situation, I wouldn't want the ex to know my pattern of shopping or activities. If you have a sex pervert obsessed with your kids, you would like to feel safe posting their pictures in a thread or on Facebook without worrying that the photo contained a GPS location that would be useful to such a person.

The point is not so much who most of us want to hide from, but the fact that we can't share innocent photos or information with others without telegraphing to the whole world where we are. I had no idea that this was a problem with digital cameras. Did you?

You can live "off the grid" but this is 2011 and "1984" is long time ago. From your car which can keep a record of where you go and how fast you go to your credit card telling someone somewhere what you bought, where and when and how much money you have. not only that but that store takes a picture of you outside of the store and when you come in and they can tell what you looked at and who you talked to. The list goes on and on.

Just like I said, there is no right to privacy today. Or I should say you have a right to privacy but there is none. But if you want privacy you must first stop using those credit cards and only use cash. Then you need a job that only pays cash. Use only taxi's or bus or walk, can't have a car. Cannot own a house either, so you must rent for cash. No cable TV, or internet either and no phone. You go to use the pay phone, what ones there are left.

But it is like back in the 50's and 60's with the cold war. You just lived life and ignored it. If you worried about annihlation then you were not living. Now if you notice something out of the ordinary then you need to worry.

Well I would like for whoever posts my personal information on the internet to get my permission to post it. At least the phone company gives me the option to opt out of being included in the phone book.

And I would like to post a photo of my house or garden or dog or the latest snow drifts in the front yard, as we all do here, without unintentionally telegraphing to everybody exactly where the house or garden or dog or the latest snow drift is. And I think the digital camera manufacture should alert us that we are telegraphing our location when we use their product.

Is that too much to ask?

Well I would like for whoever posts my personal information on the internet to get my permission to post it. At least the phone company gives me the option to opt out of being included in the phone book.

And I would like to post a photo of my house or garden or dog or the latest snow drifts in the front yard, as we all do here, without unintentionally telegraphing to everybody exactly where the house or garden or dog or the latest snow drift is. And I think the digital camera manufacture should alert us that we are telegraphing our location when we use their product.

Is that too much to ask?

I just bought a new digital camera last month and it does not give that info. I can add info on the properties of the file if I choose to. Of course google maps might have your house now. You know street level view. Might have your car and license plate too in the driveway.

Not with cell phone cameras, where I work every tens seconds some one is whipping out a cell phone and claiming they are filming me, why they always give me a warning I don't know, because then I change the script.

Is that too much to ask?

I just bought a new digital camera last month and it does not give that info. I can add info on the properties of the file if I choose to. Of course google maps might have your house now. You know street level view. Might have your car and license plate too in the driveway.

Are you sure it doesn't? Unless you know exactly what to look for. . . .did you watch that ABC video in the OP to see how it works? It isn't like they put in the manual for the camera or stamp it on the camera body someplace. The hidden GPS info is in the picture itself and provides the exact coordinates for somebody to use Google Earth or a similar program to zero in on the location. Ninety nine times out of a hundred it wouldn't matter. But as has been discussed, there's that other 1% that you really wouldn't want to telegraph the location.

BUT. . . . .

Look at this:

It exists, some people are just ignorant about protecting it, and others do not care. My prvacy conscious friends are always amazed when they Google me and come up with nothing.

Forum List

Back