PRIVACY! Does it exist anymore?

On another thread members are discussings right to privacy issues in random checkpoints set up by law enforcement personnel. I have no problem with that because I feel I have a responsibility to be law abiding when I get out on public roads and if I choose not to use the public roads, then I don't have to deal with law enforcement.

BUT. . . . .

New issues are surfacing all the time.

I can type my home phone number into my browser and VOILA!!! I see my name, my husband's name, full physical address, age, and other personal information plastered right up there in full view on my monitor screen.

And did you know those photos you post on Facebook or here on USMB can be telegraphing the exact location those photos were taken?

Look at this:

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

I'm not naive. I know skip tracers, P.I.'s, law enforcement and other government officials have all sorts of means to find out just about anything about me they want to know. We can all still run but it is becoming increasingly difficult to hide.

Does this bother you? Or do you see it as simply inevitable in the modern technological age?

It exists, some people are just ignorant about protecting it, and others do not care. My prvacy conscious friends are always amazed when they Google me and come up with nothing.

Someone knows you...

:eusa_whistle:

Why would Quantum Windbag defend the wannabe terrorist bomber?

On another thread members are discussings right to privacy issues in random checkpoints set up by law enforcement personnel. I have no problem with that because I feel I have a responsibility to be law abiding when I get out on public roads and if I choose not to use the public roads, then I don't have to deal with law enforcement.

BUT. . . . .

I can type my home phone number into my browser and VOILA!!! I see my name, my husband's name, full physical address, age, and other personal information plastered right up there in full view on my monitor screen.

And did you know those photos you post on Facebook or here on USMB can be telegraphing the exact location those photos were taken?

Look at this:

I'm not naive. I know skip tracers, P.I.'s, law enforcement and other government officials have all sorts of means to find out just about anything about me they want to know. We can all still run but it is becoming increasingly difficult to hide.

Does this bother you? Or do you see it as simply inevitable in the modern technological age?

Yes it bothers me and it bothers me a lot. I like my privacy. And I should have the right to that privacy..

EZ had posted a link to a site..can't think of the name as I type this, where you put in a name and it give all kinds of info..I was able to remove mine, my husbands, and my mom's...but am pretty sure I had done that a couple of years ago, and they eventually put it back.

Who would I want to hide from? Oh I don't know. Some nut who has developed an unhealthy and lethal fetish or fantasy imagining that I am somebody very different from who I am. Maybe somebody who has been stalking me for years and who I finally gave the slip. None of that is a problem I know about but you asked who I would want to hide from.

If I was a battered wife out of the situation, I wouldn't want the ex to know my pattern of shopping or activities. If you have a sex pervert obsessed with your kids, you would like to feel safe posting their pictures in a thread or on Facebook without worrying that the photo contained a GPS location that would be useful to such a person.

The point is not so much who most of us want to hide from, but the fact that we can't share innocent photos or information with others without telegraphing to the whole world where we are. I had no idea that this was a problem with digital cameras. Did you?

You can live "off the grid" but this is 2011 and "1984" is long time ago. From your car which can keep a record of where you go and how fast you go to your credit card telling someone somewhere what you bought, where and when and how much money you have. not only that but that store takes a picture of you outside of the store and when you come in and they can tell what you looked at and who you talked to. The list goes on and on.

Just like I said, there is no right to privacy today. Or I should say you have a right to privacy but there is none. But if you want privacy you must first stop using those credit cards and only use cash. Then you need a job that only pays cash. Use only taxi's or bus or walk, can't have a car. Cannot own a house either, so you must rent for cash. No cable TV, or internet either and no phone. You go to use the pay phone, what ones there are left.

But it is like back in the 50's and 60's with the cold war. You just lived life and ignored it. If you worried about annihlation then you were not living. Now if you notice something out of the ordinary then you need to worry.

You can still buy an older car that does not have that type of information, ir disable it on newer vehicles. Pay cash for everything and no one can track you, another reason I do not have a credit card. The cameras are impossible to avoid, but they are not that hard to spoof. Sunglasses or some simple makeup techniques make it impossible to ID you through facial recognition. You can use prepaid cell phones, prepaid and free internet connections, and watch broadcast TV or streaming video on the internet.

A place to live is a little trickier, but it is still possible to rent without showing an ID. Privacy is achievable if one is willing to work at it, just like wealth is achievable if one is willing to work. Nothing comes easy anymore, but that does not mean it is not there.

BUT. . . . .

Look at this:

Yes it bothers me and it bothers me a lot. I like my privacy. And I should have the right to that privacy..

EZ had posted a link to a site..can't think of the name as I type this, where you put in a name and it give all kinds of info..I was able to remove mine, my husbands, and my mom's...but am pretty sure I had done that a couple of years ago, and they eventually put it back.

I get emails from folks directing me to sites to remove my name and information too, but they are everywhere and I doubt we'll ever get all of them. Sometimes I'm searching for somebody--usually a relative as I do a lot of geneology research--and I "find" them but then have to pay a service to get more information than just their name and general location. No telling what sort of stuff is stored re all of us on sites like that.

Our medical group just informed us that we can now go on line and get our medical records any time we want them. But it is a huge organization and presumably anybody in it can also go on line and access them. That bothers me some too though neither of us have anything in our record we wouldn't want anybody to know. But a lot of folks do.

Ah well. I can't think of anything to do about it at the moment. At least that I have the time, energy, and financial resources to do.

BUT. . . . .

Look at this:

It exists, some people are just ignorant about protecting it, and others do not care. My prvacy conscious friends are always amazed when they Google me and come up with nothing.

Someone knows you...

:eusa_whistle:

Why would Quantum Windbag defend the wannabe terrorist bomber?

I am paranoid enough without your help.

All they really know is my user name, and, if they are tracking my IP, the fact that I travel between two major cities on the West coast often.

BUT. . . . .

Look at this:

I get emails from folks directing me to sites to remove my name and information too, but they are everywhere and I doubt we'll ever get all of them. Sometimes I'm searching for somebody--usually a relative as I do a lot of geneology research--and I "find" them but then have to pay a service to get more information than just their name and general location. No telling what sort of stuff is stored re all of us on sites like that.

Our medical group just informed us that we can now go on line and get our medical records any time we want them. But it is a huge organization and presumably anybody in it can also go on line and access them. That bothers me some too though neither of us have anything in our record we wouldn't want anybody to know. But a lot of folks do.

Ah well. I can't think of anything to do about it at the moment. At least that I have the time, energy, and financial resources to do.

I know. I don't think there is much we can do. And I do believe a lot of the sites are now set up merely to make money.

I have nothing to hide either, it is the principal of the matter. Plus I know what it is like to have a stalker. :doubt:

Forum List

Back