Prison and the Poverty Trap

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
WASHINGTON — Why are so many American families trapped in poverty? Of all the explanations offered by Washington’s politicians and economists, one seems particularly obvious in the low-income neighborhoods near the Capitol: because there are so many parents like Carl Harris and Charlene Hamilton.

For most of their daughters’ childhood, Mr. Harris didn’t come close to making the minimum wage. His most lucrative job, as a crack dealer, ended at the age of 24, when he left Washington to serve two decades in prison, leaving his wife to raise their two young girls while trying to hold their long-distance marriage together.

His $1.15-per-hour prison wages didn’t even cover the bills for the phone calls and marathon bus trips to visit him. Struggling to pay rent and buy food, Ms. Hamilton ended up homeless a couple of times.

“Basically, I was locked up with him,” she said. “My mind was locked up. My life was locked up. Our daughters grew up without their father.”

The shift to tougher penal policies three decades ago was originally credited with helping people in poor neighborhoods by reducing crime. But now that America’s incarceration rate has risen to be the world’s highest, many social scientists find the social benefits to be far outweighed by the costs to those communities.

“Prison has become the new poverty trap,” said Bruce Western, a Harvard sociologist. “It has become a routine event for poor African-American men and their families, creating an enduring disadvantage at the very bottom of American society.”

Among African-Americans who have grown up during the era of mass incarceration, one in four has had a parent locked up at some point during childhood. For black men in their 20s and early 30s without a high school diploma, the incarceration rate is so high — nearly 40 percent nationwide — that they’re more likely to be behind bars than to have a job.

No one denies that some people belong in prison. Mr. Harris, now 47, and his wife, 45, agree that in his early 20s he deserved to be there. But they don’t see what good was accomplished by keeping him there for two decades, and neither do most of the researchers who have been analyzing the prison boom.

The number of Americans in state and federal prisons has quintupled since 1980, and a major reason is that prisoners serve longer terms than before. They remain inmates into middle age and old age, well beyond the peak age for crime, which is in the late teenage years — just when Mr. Harris first got into trouble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/s...rms-eyed-as-contributing-to-poverty.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Why are so many American families trapped in poverty? Of all the explanations offered by Washington’s politicians and economists, one seems particularly obvious in the low-income neighborhoods near the Capitol: because there are so many parents like Carl Harris and Charlene Hamilton.

For most of their daughters’ childhood, Mr. Harris didn’t come close to making the minimum wage. His most lucrative job, as a crack dealer, ended at the age of 24, when he left Washington to serve two decades in prison, leaving his wife to raise their two young girls while trying to hold their long-distance marriage together.

His $1.15-per-hour prison wages didn’t even cover the bills for the phone calls and marathon bus trips to visit him. Struggling to pay rent and buy food, Ms. Hamilton ended up homeless a couple of times.

“Basically, I was locked up with him,” she said. “My mind was locked up. My life was locked up. Our daughters grew up without their father.”

The shift to tougher penal policies three decades ago was originally credited with helping people in poor neighborhoods by reducing crime. But now that America’s incarceration rate has risen to be the world’s highest, many social scientists find the social benefits to be far outweighed by the costs to those communities.

“Prison has become the new poverty trap,” said Bruce Western, a Harvard sociologist. “It has become a routine event for poor African-American men and their families, creating an enduring disadvantage at the very bottom of American society.”

Among African-Americans who have grown up during the era of mass incarceration, one in four has had a parent locked up at some point during childhood. For black men in their 20s and early 30s without a high school diploma, the incarceration rate is so high — nearly 40 percent nationwide — that they’re more likely to be behind bars than to have a job.

No one denies that some people belong in prison. Mr. Harris, now 47, and his wife, 45, agree that in his early 20s he deserved to be there. But they don’t see what good was accomplished by keeping him there for two decades, and neither do most of the researchers who have been analyzing the prison boom.

The number of Americans in state and federal prisons has quintupled since 1980, and a major reason is that prisoners serve longer terms than before. They remain inmates into middle age and old age, well beyond the peak age for crime, which is in the late teenage years — just when Mr. Harris first got into trouble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/s...rms-eyed-as-contributing-to-poverty.html?_r=0

So the solution is to let some 20 year old thug know that if he roughs people up and sells drugs, he only has to do 10 or so years, and once he hits his 30's , he's home free?

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. So, what I hear you saying is it's now America's fault that this crack salesman is doing time in prison because he broke the law and got caught selling crack. BULLSHIT. He brought this all upon himself. I don't see a problem. Break the law. Go to jail. Seems simple enough to me. He should have thought about his family's needs and concerns before he became a criminal. Don't try to lay this guilt trip on me because I'm not buying it. Sounds like another load of pure liberal bullshit.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. So, what I hear you saying is it's now America's fault that this crack salesman is doing time in prison because he broke the law and got caught selling crack. BULLSHIT. He brought this all upon himself. I don't see a problem. Break the law. Go to jail. Seems simple enough to me. He should have thought about his family's needs and concerns before he became a criminal. Don't try to lay this guilt trip on me because I'm not buying it. Sounds like another load of pure liberal bullshit.

Florida Atlantic Football Stadium Will Be Named For Private Prison Company

That's how bad it is in this Country

:cuckoo::cuckoo:Thank you for the post! In my state and many more, the incarceration rate has exploded to the extent that public defenders can no longer adequately defend clients. In fact, they have posted on their website that the state is in a constitutional crisis where people are going to prison without due process. This means that every prisoner should have a review of his/her case, but the same overburdened defenders would represent them, again. The answer was decided by the Office of the Public Defender, itself and it decided to close its doors to new cases. When that happened, judges mandated that defenders begin representing clients again. My opinion is that if the prosecutors and judges are aware that people are going to jail/prison without adequate representation, they are breaking the law, themselves. They are signing off on cases stating that representation was not inadequate when they know this is not true. The public defender's office states that it is afraid that the ACLU is on its way....and so it should be...

There is no cause for sympathy here. This woman chose to have children with a crack dealer. She spent the money he made selling crack and had a good time. She did not o anything to better her circumstances when the boyfriend went to prison so she deserved what she's getting. Hoe many lives were destroyed by his crack dealing. The sentence was too lenient.

It's hard to muster a lot of sympathy for a crack dealer, OR his hoe. If I'm gonna have to support 'em, I'd rather they were in jail.

Forum List

Back