Priest in Britain Advises Congregation to Shoplift

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
A priest in Britain is under fire Monday for advising his congregation to shoplift in tough economic times, the Daily Mail reports.

Father Tim Jones, a 41-year-old clergyman at St. Lawrence Church in York, England, said that shoplifting — rather than prostitution or burglary — is sometimes the best option for poor people struggling to make ends meet, according to the Web site.

"My advice as a Christian priest is to shoplift," Jones reportedly told churchgoers during his Sunday sermon. "I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither."

"I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses — knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices," he continued.

"I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any longer than they need ... My advice does not contradict the Bible's eighth commandment because God's love for the poor and despised outweighs the property rights of the rich."

Jones' sermon, meanwhile, has been blasted by police, the British Retail Consortium and a local MP who all say that shoplifting is a crime regardless of circumstances.

Full Article.....................
Priest in Britain Advises Congregation to Shoplift - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

I just found this interesting being I do retail Loss Prevention for a large semi national business.

If I remember correctly someone very famous that this Priest might know about stated, "Thou shalt not steal?" Or am I wrong?

A priest in Britain is under fire Monday for advising his congregation to shoplift in tough economic times, the Daily Mail reports.

Father Tim Jones, a 41-year-old clergyman at St. Lawrence Church in York, England, said that shoplifting — rather than prostitution or burglary — is sometimes the best option for poor people struggling to make ends meet, according to the Web site.

"My advice as a Christian priest is to shoplift," Jones reportedly told churchgoers during his Sunday sermon. "I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither."

"I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses — knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices," he continued.

"I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any longer than they need ... My advice does not contradict the Bible's eighth commandment because God's love for the poor and despised outweighs the property rights of the rich."

Jones' sermon, meanwhile, has been blasted by police, the British Retail Consortium and a local MP who all say that shoplifting is a crime regardless of circumstances.

Priest in Britain Advises Congregation to Shoplift - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

I just found this interesting being I do retail Loss Prevention for a large semi national business.

If I remember correctly someone very famous that this Priest might know about stated, "Thou shalt not steal?" Or am I wrong?

Is this guy Church of England or Roman Catholic? The article doesn't say. Hmmmm. :eusa_think:

Why anyone in Britain would need to shoplift is beyond me. Their welfare system rewards people who don't work more than generously.

I think that Father Jones was misquoted.

He was quoted as saying: "My advice as a Christian priest is to shoplift. I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither. I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses — knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices. I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any longer than they need ... My advice does not contradict the Bible's eighth commandment because God's love for the poor and despised outweighs the property rights of the rich."

What he actually said was: "My advice as a Christian priest is to not shoplift, or you will burn in the fiery depths of hell for eternity."

Is this guy Church of England or Roman Catholic? The article doesn't say. Hmmmm. :eusa_think:

I am sure if it was Catholic that he would be on his way to the Vatican to explain himself right about now...............

I am sure if it was Catholic that he would be on his way to the Vatican to explain himself right about now...............

The article says he's an Anglican priest.

They don't get THAT much on the dole...

But... there's a whole bunch of shit that people can claim for. I know a few people on benefits who do really, really well out of doing nothing.... I guess it depends on how well they play the system.

He told parishioners it would not break the eighth commandment 'thou shalt not steal' because it 'is permissible for those who are in desperate situations to take food that they might not starve'.

But his advice was roundly condemned by police and the local Tory MP. Father Jones, 42, was discussing Mary and the birth of Jesus when he went on to the subject of how poor and vulnerable people cope in the run-up to Christmas.

'My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift,' he told his stunned congregation at St Lawrence and St Hilda in York.

'I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither.

'I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices.

'I would ask them not to take any more than they need. I offer the advice with a heavy heart. Let my words not be misrepresented as a simplistic call for people to shoplift.

'The observation that shoplifting is the best option that some people are left with is a grim indictment of who we are.

'Rather, this is a call for our society no longer to treat its most vulnerable people with indifference and contempt.

'When people are released from prison, or find themselves suddenly without work or family support, then to leave them for weeks with inadequate or clumsy social support is monumental, catastrophic folly.

'We create a situation which leaves some people little option but crime.'

The father of two, whose parish has a wide mix of social conditions, said his advice to people in dire circumstances is that 'they should not hurt anybody and cope as best they can'.

He added: 'The strong temptation is to burgle or rob people - family, friends, neighbours, strangers.

'Others are tempted towards prostitution, a nightmare world of degradation and abuse for all concerned. Others are tempted towards suicide. Instead, I would rather that they shoplift.

'The life of the poor in modern Britain is a constant struggle, a minefield of competing opportunities, competing responsibilities, obligations and requirements, a constant effort to achieve the impossible.

'For many at the bottom of our social ladder, lawful, honest life can sometimes seem to be an apparent impossibility.'

Read more: Priest advises congregation to shoplift | Mail Online

Gee. That's not the spin FNC put on this story. I am shocked they would misrepresent what he said and completely miss the point of his sermon. Shocked, I tell you!

Last edited:
People don't realize how much shoplifting hurts businesses. The retail industry lost 350 billion dollars last year in theft. Businesses are closing left and right because of it. Comments like the ones made by this so called Priest are innapropriate and reckless.

This story is sort of like the pastor that prayed for Obama's death, with the only difference being that a national leader's death is not prayed for.

Forum List

Back