Price To Pay: Abandoning Principles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    People are NOT stupid.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ay/bushapprovalslipsto45lowestofhispresidency

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
  3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The matter of life and death is something that should be decided by the President and Congress as we (the people) elect them, while Judges are appointed.

4. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Well...this is what you get when you have the media telling the uninformed, apathetic public day after day that this woman was completely brain dead and using life support to survive. The polls have been misleading and most people do NOT have the facts of this case.

I really have gone back and forth on this issue, so this isn't about whether or not I feel that killing Terri Shiavo was the right decision (which I do...just to get that out of the way)...and I most certainly have been disgusted at how people have used this story for political manipulation on BOTH sides....

but the bottom line is, the media deliberately took a side on this case and the polls reflect that, people who are shocked at how the government has wheedled its way into this case should be almost as appaulled at how the main-stream media has chosen a side and set about making America believe it.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Geez Gem, I think anyone would be shocked at your saying that killing Terri was the right decision, and MY SAYING it was wrong. My problem was the venue turning to the feds. Seems to me someone, somehow should be looking at the finding of facts in FL.

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Gem, even you admit they are KILLING her instead of letting her die. Do you honestly believe that we should be allowed to kill for the sake of convenience?

That is the slippery slope so many are worried about. Next they will be saying, well, "yes, the person has brain funtion, but they are so handicapped that they cannot contribute to society, so let's kill them."

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Guys, as I've said...I've been back and forth with this case. At this point in time, I simply feel that this woman has been through enough, I don't feel that any court ruling is going to change and, most importantly I think that she has been starved then had the food reinserted, starved, tube reinserted several times over the past 10 years...and THAT I think IS torture...to continually play with whether or not someone is going to die is sick.

This decision has come about because of where our society is, culturally, morally, politically...and I think it is very scary...but not illegal, ironically enough. I think that this will be one of the moments in our nation's history we look back to...or perhaps, by the time things get as bad as they might get...this will simply be a tiny blip on the radar screen of "where did we go wrong."

8. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm wondering if the drop in the approval rating could have to do with other issues such as skyrocketing gas prices. Many people blame that on the Preisdent. If you look at it from aother point of view on the Schiavo case,it could be also that some people felt Bush didn't intervene enough.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think we're killing her so the law will be safe----odd.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think so on either front Krisy. The gas prices have been rising since 2002, 2003 at the latest. We get that. We, the US have applied severe pressure to OPEC nations and that is the price.

Schiavo is such a sad case. She appeared to have picked a nasty husband, many can relate to that. She seems to perhaps have had other problems too. Florida seems to have legislative difficulties, which Jeb has tried to run around, more power and kudos to him. But it fell short. I hope they'll be dealt with from this point on.

Turning to the US Congress though was wrong. So was GW in going along with that. Pandering, no other version will do.