Price To Pay: Abandoning Principles

freeandfun1 said:
I still say (as does the constitution) that LIFE is a inalienable right. If the courts are not going to protect that right, then congress must. That is my take and I'm sticking with it. That does not mean I totally disagree with you. In many ways, I do agree. However, in this case, I believe that Terri's rights were not protected by the courts and when the courts don't protect somebody's rights, who will? The Congress should.

Again, if a living will or even somebody other than her "husband" or his family had said that is what she wanted, then I would have no problems. I just truly believe this has become not a "mercy" killing but a "convenience" killing.

Perhaps I misunderstood your use of the word "rule". I read that to mean "to hand down decisions". Apparently your use of the word intended to say that judges are attempting to "govern" from the bench. If so, I take little issue with your sentiment. Except that in this particular case, I don't believe this to be so. If anything, the problem has been that the courts have had flawed and inadequate law on which to base their decision.

Merlin1047 said:
Perhaps I misunderstood your use of the word "rule". I read that to mean "to hand down decisions". Apparently you meant to say that judges are attempting to "govern" from the bench. If so, I take little issue with your sentiment. Except that in this particular case, I don't believe this to be so. If anything, the problem has been that the courts have had flawed and inadequate law on which to base their decision.

Bingo---what's the harm in keeping Terris' body alive while we try to get it right. What she supposedly wished for 15 years ago was botched by her hubby--can we try to get that right too or do we just have to stop her heart from beating because she may not be sentinent? I still don't see this need to kill her. No one is being harmed by keeping her alive but much harm is being done to people by starving her to death.

Forum List

Back