President to use recess appointment for CFPB :-)

Let me see if I accurately understand conservatives' outrage.

Bush made 170 recess appoints.

This is Obama's 28th recess appointment.

And conservatives are outraged because Obama is circumventing the Congressional confirmation hearings process?

This reminds me of the moment in "Terminator 2" when the terminator (Ahnold) was introduced to John Connor's Mexican friend, Enrique, as 'Uncle Bob.' His reaction?
"Okay!?"

So it's the number of appointments that matters, huh?

Goalpoasts now moved...

BTW, Booooosh was President for 8 years... Barry will only get 4....

Try a little division. While you're at it, how many of those 8 years that Bush was in office did he have a majority in the US Senate?

This faux outrage is just the latest in a LONG line.

Who's outraged, Yugo? Other than you whining about 170 vs. 28, I mean...

If the House and Senate wanted the rules to be different to stop the delaying tactics, they would change them...

They don't...

The term RECESS appointment does kind of suggest that it may be resorted to during an actual RECESS.

Is that overly technical for you Obamabots?

They're the same folks who supported the fleebagers when they ran away from their house in Wisconsin...

THOSE delaying tactics were "OK"...

Liberal logic is hard to comprehend sometimes...

The term RECESS appointment does kind of suggest that it may be resorted to during an actual RECESS.

According to the Article I, Section 5 of the US Constitution:
"Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting."
That's the reason the pro forma session came into being.

I think every honest person understands that in recent years, rules and procedures have been adopted in a way in which they were never intended to work. (The misuse of the filibuster comes to mind).

The pro forma US Senate session where no business is either planned or conducted has only come into use in recent years (under the Democrats, I'm sorry to say) as a way of preventing a presidents from exercising their constitutional power under Article II, Section 2 of the US Constitution which states:
The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.​

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans don't make a big deal of this much beyond Mitch McConnell's hissyfit. Can't imagine they'd wanna have to actually justify why they've been blocking this guy to begin with.

SNIP:
Garrett Condemns Unconstitutional Recess Appointment of Cordray
Jan 4, 2012 Issues: Constitution
WASHINGTON, DC – Rep. Scott Garrett (R-NJ), Chairman of the Congressional Constitution Caucus, issued the following statement today condemning the unconstitutional recess appointment by President Obama of Richard Cordray as head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB):

“President Obama is abdicating his oath and duty to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States by making an unconstitutional recess appointment of Richard Cordray to head the newly created CFPB. If it weren’t for his track record of trampling the Constitution to suit his political needs, I would say this announcement came as a surprise. Unfortunately, this is what we have come to expect from a president who brought Chicago-style politics to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

“Due to the unique characteristics of the CFPB, which would be funded through the Federal Reserve, insulated from congressional oversight, and negatively impact almost every facet of American business, Senate approval of the CFPB director is the last and only check Congress has over this unaccountable agency. This recess appointment is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent and undercut the advice and consent clause of the U.S. Constitution.”

the rest here..
Garrett Condemns Unconstitutional Recess Appointment of Cordray | Congressman Scott Garrett

According to the Article I, Section 5 of the US Constitution:
"Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting."
That's the reason the pro forma session came into being.

I think every honest person understands that in recent years, rules and procedures have been adopted in a way in which they were never intended to work. (The misuse of the filibuster comes to mind).

The pro forma US Senate session where no business is either planned or conducted has only come into use in recent years (under the Democrats, I'm sorry to say) as a way of preventing a presidents from exercising their constitutional power under Article II, Section 2 of the US Constitution which states:
The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.​

Again, and in more direct and simple terms, you can call it "pro forma" all you like, but the Senate is simply NOT in recess.

He can only make the appointments IF both Houses go in recess. Since one House can NOT go in recess without the other agreeing he would be violating the law if he claims a short couples days with one house out is a recess.

But then you turds don't care what laws he breaks do you?

The Senate cannot recess for more than three days without the consent of the House as per Article 1, Section 5 of the Constitution.

But a three day recess is still a recess.

I pointed out in one of the other topics about this subject that that is why the GOP has mock sessions that last about three seconds every three days. These "pro forma" sessions are a running joke meant to undermine the spirit of the Consitution by standing on the letter of it.

But when it comes to the actual letter of the Constitution, a three day recess is still a recess. And according to Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, the President can make an appointment during a Senate recess.

It does not say the recess has to be more than three days. So Obama is claiming the three day recess is enough to make the appointment legal.

So everyone can be a fuckhead and claim to stand on the letter of the law while ignoring the spirit.

Meanwhile, Wall Street is celebrating the fine, fine work its shills are doing for them delaying the appointment of a cop to police them.

The really funny thing is that Obama's Assistant Solicitor General has argued in the past that a 3 day recess appointment is not valid.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: And the recess appointment power doesn't work why?

MR. KATYAL: The -- the recess appointment power can work in -- in a recess. I think our office has opined the recess has to be longer than 3 days. And -- and so, it is potentially available to avert the future crisis that -- that could -- that could take place with respect to the board. If there are no other questions –

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Thank you, counsel.

its called politics....You and house must have just arrived.

Where have I condemned it, dubmfuck?

I don't see a lot of anything but hypocrites. If congress IS in session its bull. If not then so be it. We can end the program in 2013

They are Fucking Hypocrites, and Totalitarian Lap Dogs. :evil:

Evil Forked Tongued Retards. :D When would it matter to them? When does anything matter to them? When they lose power. Fucking Constructionist Morons. I'm surprised they know how to pee.

He can only make the appointments IF both Houses go in recess. Since one House can NOT go in recess without the other agreeing he would be violating the law if he claims a short couples days with one house out is a recess.

But then you turds don't care what laws he breaks do you?

The Senate cannot recess for more than three days without the consent of the House as per Article 1, Section 5 of the Constitution.

But a three day recess is still a recess.

I pointed out in one of the other topics about this subject that that is why the GOP has mock sessions that last about three seconds every three days. These "pro forma" sessions are a running joke meant to undermine the spirit of the Consitution by standing on the letter of it.

But when it comes to the actual letter of the Constitution, a three day recess is still a recess. And according to Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, the President can make an appointment during a Senate recess.

It does not say the recess has to be more than three days. So Obama is claiming the three day recess is enough to make the appointment legal.

So everyone can be a fuckhead and claim to stand on the letter of the law while ignoring the spirit.

Meanwhile, Wall Street is celebrating the fine, fine work its shills are doing for them delaying the appointment of a cop to police them.

The really funny thing is that Obama's Assistant Solicitor General has argued in the past that a 3 day recess appointment is not valid.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: And the recess appointment power doesn't work why?

MR. KATYAL: The -- the recess appointment power can work in -- in a recess. I think our office has opined the recess has to be longer than 3 days. And -- and so, it is potentially available to avert the future crisis that -- that could -- that could take place with respect to the board. If there are no other questions –

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Thank you, counsel.

Powerful post....POWERFUL!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Other Senate and House Republicans have denounced Obama’s recess appointment of Cordray as an act of tyranny and worse. Scott Brown’s Massachusetts colleague, Mitt Romney, just released a statement calling the move “Chicago style politics at its worst.”

Yet Scott Brown is now breaking decisively with his fellow Republicans, defending the recess appointment as necessary to break through partisan gridlock in order to “protect consumers from fraud and scams.”

This seems like as clear a sign as any of just how toxic the politics of this fight could prove for moderate Republicans — not even the “Obama as tyrant” line can carry the day this time — and who is winning the argument over Wall Street accountability and the middle class.

:D

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...an-dichotomy-of-government-5.html#post4621795

How funny...A Republican is considered a "moderate" only when they agree with the Democrats..

Scott Brown should switch parties

What Hypocrisy? If the Congress recesses Obama can appoint. They have NOT recessed, he can not appoint. YOU support a clear violation of the US Constitution and the Law of the land.

By the way Modbert? What is YOUR position on recess appointments? Mine is clear, they are legal, Constitutional and needed at times.

You want to pretend that because I do not support ILLEGAL appointments I am suddenly against recess appointments. Simply not true.

You support recess appointments when Republicans do it, not Democrats. I've already made my stance on appointments pretty clear in this thread.

SNIP:

Reid backs Obama after using pro forma sessions to block Bush
By Peter Schroeder - 01/04/12 12:13 PM ET

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who previously held pro forma sessions to block recess appointments by President George W. Bush, said Wednesday he supported President Obama's decision to ignore those sessions to push through one of his key nominees.

"I support President Obama's decision," he said in a statement.

The White House announced Wednesday that Obama planned to recess appoint Richard Cordray to be director of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). However, Republicans immediately cried foul about the move. They argue that because the holiday break has been broken up by brief pro forma sessions, the Senate is not in recess and the appointment is illegitimate.

Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said the novel move "arrogantly circumvented the American people."

However, the White House maintains that those sessions, typically held every three days and lasting a few seconds, are not legitimate and can be ignored for the purpose of making recess appointments. The administration cited lawyers that advised President George W. Bush when he was in office who argued that such brief sessions should be discounted.

On the other side of the argument at that time was Reid, who began holding pro forma sessions in 2007 to block Bush nominees.

"I had to keep the Senate in pro-forma session to block the Bradbury appointment. That necessarily meant no recess appointments could be made," he said on the Senate floor in 2008, as Democrats blocked a potential recess appointment of Steven Bradbury to be the assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel in the Bush administration. Bradbury is one of the attorneys cited by the Obama White House in justifying the Cordray move.

read it all here..
Reid backs Obama after using pro forma sessions to block Bush - The Hill's On The Money

Harry Reid is a hypocrite, I didn't realize that was news.

In actual news, this thread is a perfect example of how some on the right are applying standards to President Obama that they did not apply to previous administrations.

Forum List

Back