President Obama to fix No Child left Behind

This will result in even more Social Promotion and kids who can't read receiving diplomas to celebrate their self-esteem.

It's sad.

based on your post it seems its you who lacks reading ability and comprehension

Not all kids are cut out for college. That's why vocational options should be available in all high schools for those who choose that path.

yea and they should be allowed an extra elective towards it in high school if the school provides it. think of it as AP classes for vocational kids.

Only after it has already happened.

The history indicates it will be more of the same soft standards designed to improve self-esteem and encourage subjective standards.

What does prepare for college mean?

- Sounds like more of getting the kid into college even when he doesn't have proper academic skills and has low SAT scores. (It's not a coincidence that the government is now making a play to take over student loans for college - this funding will be used to get unqualified kids into college). This soft goal will result in grade inflation and social promotion - it's more of the same Federal Education Policy.

- What does prepare for a career mean? First, define career. Considering the Obama's push to expand government employment (Michelle's harangues to not go into business), this smells a lot like steering kids towards do nothing public employee jobs.

Why is it the high schools job to push the kids towards college or careers? That is a parental responsibility. The kids would be better off learning reading, math, science, and history.

College is not the best alternative for all kids. Some do better in vocational programs, some are better suited for military. A one size fits all standard does not prepare kids for becoming productive citizens

A career means doing a job that you can earn a living. For some that means becoming a doctor, lawyer or engineer. For some it means being a teacher. For some it means being a carpenter, plumber or electrician. For some it means digging a ditch.
Government service is an excellent careeer. People squawk about how poor a job government does and then try to disuade those who could join and make it better. Wouldn't you prefer your Goernment to be run by our best and brightest?
Some kids do better without stressing math, science and history. A kid could be a great auto mechanic without being able to explain the causes of the Great Depression

The Feds "getting kids into college or careers" is going to be as effective as them getting people who didn't qualify for proper mortgages into houses.

Just sayin'.

based on your post it seems its you who lacks reading ability and comprehension

It's fairly likely you are one of the Social Promotion victims.

How's that working out for you?

The Feds "getting kids into college or careers" is going to be as effective as them getting people who didn't qualify for proper mortgages into houses.

Just sayin'.

If we don't get them into college or carreers what do you propose we do with them?

Jail?

It's not the Government's job to get them into anything; parents are responsible for providing such guidance for to children.

Education should involve acquiring basic knowledge and skills that enable the child to have a variety of choices. A curriculum with solid basics supplemented with some specilization (deeper science, math, vocational) - supported by values encouraged by the parents is the best balance, imo.

We've had a quite a few years of increased Federal interference with the results being less effective schools and higher rates of illiteracy. More Federal involvement is not the solution.

And you sorely need some edumacationizingment in proper punctuation. It's not surprising that you disdain rigorous standards and instead favor an equalizing of outcomes.

And you sorely need some edumacationizingment in proper punctuation. It's not surprising that you disdain rigorous standards and instead favor an equalizing of outcomes.

more fallacies. you have contributed nothing to this thread

My wife is a teacher here in Atlanta. When she read this she laughed out loud and walked away after saying that its screwed up now but after Obamay gets his hands on it, it will be totally fucked up.

BTW, my wife doesnt cuss and is not political.

I smell bullshit, that sounds like hack talk right there.

My wife is a teacher here in Atlanta. When she read this she laughed out loud and walked away after saying that its screwed up now but after Obamay gets his hands on it, it will be totally fucked up.

I agree.

I can't see any teacher being against ALL of this.

If you look at the countries with better results in education, the results are interesting. No child left behind would never happen there. Through difficult advancement tests, they weed out the underachievers and help the gifted reach their potential through excellent instruction. No teaching to the bottom tier and keeping their self-esteem intact. It is the only way to fix US public schools. Hope your ready for merit based education.

If you look at the countries with better results in education, the results are interesting. No child left behind would never happen there. Through difficult advancement tests, they weed out the underachievers and help the gifted reach their potential through excellent instruction. No teaching to the bottom tier and keeping their self-esteem intact. It is the only way to fix US public schools. Hope your ready for merit based education.

But the bottom tier is the key to education. These are the people who end up unemployable, the ones who end up pregnant, the ones who end up in prison, the "burdens on society" that the right wing hates so much.
It is these students in danger of flunking out, the ones with no skills that if you motivate them, teach them employable skills can go on to be upstanding taxpaying citiizens
Anyone can take a gifted student and send him to college. The real challenge is to take marginal students and turn them into productive workers

tell it to all the sheepskins doing time with me in construction RW'er

all the jobs they could have had have been sold down the NAFTA river......~S~

Just sayin'.

If we don't get them into college or carreers what do you propose we do with them?

Jail?

Crazy idea. Why don't we let them decide where they want to be?

You think I give a fuck what you think? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Show me one thing Obamay has touched that hasnt gone to shit. This will be more of the same. More BS for teachers and red tape. Like they dont have enough federal BS to put up with now. You think Obamay going to lessen that? If you do then you are a bigger fool than I thought.

Forum List

Back