President Obama to fix No Child left Behind

tell it to all the sheepskins doing time with me in construction RW'er

all the jobs they could have had have been sold down the NAFTA river......~S~

Doesn't make sense Sparky

NAFTA took low paying production jobs. Don't see many jobs requiring a PhD going to Mexico.

But, I guess NAFTA gets blamed for everything

If you look at the countries with better results in education, the results are interesting. No child left behind would never happen there. Through difficult advancement tests, they weed out the underachievers and help the gifted reach their potential through excellent instruction. No teaching to the bottom tier and keeping their self-esteem intact. It is the only way to fix US public schools. Hope your ready for merit based education.

But the bottom tier is the key to education. These are the people who end up unemployable, the ones who end up pregnant, the ones who end up in prison, the "burdens on society" that the right wing hates so much.
It is these students in danger of flunking out, the ones with no skills that if you motivate them, teach them employable skills can go on to be upstanding taxpaying citiizens
Anyone can take a gifted student and send him to college. The real challenge is to take marginal students and turn them into productive workers

The lower skill jobs and pay you will receive ARE the motivators. These other countries don't need a, "no kid left behind program". Why do we? I also think it is not very realistic to expect that motivation comes from anywhere else but within.

The best way to fix it is to close the Department of Education and turn education back over to the parents and communities.

Organization
2007 Department of Education Structure

Office of the Secretary (OS)

* Office of Communications and Outreach (OCO)
* Office of the General Counsel (OGC)
* Office of Inspector General
* Office of Legislation and Congressional Affairs (OLCA)
* Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
* Institute of Education Sciences (IES)
o National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
+ National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
+ Education Resources Information Center (ERIC)
* Office of Innovation and Improvement (OII)
* Office of the Chief Financial Officer
* Office of Management
* Office of the Chief Information Officer
* Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development
o Budget Service
* Risk Management Service

Chief Operating Officer

Office of the Under Secretary (OUS)

* Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE)
* Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE)
* Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA)
* President's Advisory Board on Tribal Colleges and Universities (WHITCU)
* President's Advisory Board on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (WHIHBCU)

Office of the Deputy Secretary (ODS)

* Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE)
o Office of Migrant Education
o President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanic Americans
* Office of English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement and Academic Achievement for Limited English Proficient Students (OELA)
* Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS)
o National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR)
o Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
o Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)
* Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools (OSDFS)
* Office of Innovation and Improvement

Associated federal organizations

* Advisory Councils and Committees
* National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB)[3]
* National Institute for Literacy (NIFL)[4]
* Federal Interagency Committee on Education (FICE)

Federally aided organizations

* Gallaudet University
* Howard University
* National Technical Institute for the Deaf

"The budget plan I submit to you on Feb. 8 will realize major savings by dismantling the Department of Education." - Ronald W. Reagan

If you look at the countries with better results in education, the results are interesting. No child left behind would never happen there. Through difficult advancement tests, they weed out the underachievers and help the gifted reach their potential through excellent instruction. No teaching to the bottom tier and keeping their self-esteem intact. It is the only way to fix US public schools. Hope your ready for merit based education.

But the bottom tier is the key to education. These are the people who end up unemployable, the ones who end up pregnant, the ones who end up in prison, the "burdens on society" that the right wing hates so much.
It is these students in danger of flunking out, the ones with no skills that if you motivate them, teach them employable skills can go on to be upstanding taxpaying citiizens
Anyone can take a gifted student and send him to college. The real challenge is to take marginal students and turn them into productive workers

The lower skill jobs and pay you will receive ARE the motivators. These other countries don't need a, "no kid left behind program". Why do we? I also think it is not very realistic to expect that motivation comes from anywhere else but within.

You don't expect teachers to motivate students? Wouldn't that make school even more boring than it is now?

Why should it matter where your motivation comes from?

My wife is a teacher here in Atlanta. When she read this she laughed out loud and walked away after saying that its screwed up now but after Obamay gets his hands on it, it will be totally fucked up.

BTW, my wife doesnt cuss and is not political.

I smell bullshit, that sounds like hack talk right there.
You think I give a fuck what you think? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Show me one thing Obamay has touched that hasnt gone to shit. This will be more of the same. More BS for teachers and red tape. Like they dont have enough federal BS to put up with now. You think Obamay going to lessen that? If you do then you are a bigger fool than I thought.

Yeah, we can tell you don't care how much bullshit you spew over the board.

Obama promise: Brighter education futures for kids - Yahoo! News

ATLANTA – President Barack Obama is promising parents and their kids that with his administration's help they will have better teachers in improved schools so U.S. students can make up for academic ground lost against youngsters in other countries.

A plan to overhaul the 2002 education law championed by President George W. Bush was unveiled by the Obama administration Saturday in hopes of replacing a system that in the last decade has tagged more than a third of schools as failing and created a hodgepodge of sometimes weak academic standards among states.

In the proposed dismantling of the No Child Left Behind law, education officials would move away from punishing schools that don't meet benchmarks and focus on rewarding schools for progress, particularly with poor and minority students. Obama intends to send a rewrite to Congress on Monday of the law.

The proposed changes call for states to adopt standards that ensure students are ready for college or a career rather than grade-level proficiency — the focus of the current law.

The blueprint also would allow states to use subjects other than reading and mathematics as part of their measurements for meeting federal goals, pleasing many education groups that have said No Child Left Behind encouraged teachers not to focus on history, art, science, social studies and other important subjects.

A few other highlights from the blueprint:

• By 2020, all students graduating from high school would need to be ready for college or a career. That's a shift away from the current law, which calls for all students to be performing at grade level in reading and math by 2014.

• Give more rewards — money and flexibility — to high-poverty schools that are seeing big gains in student achievement and use them as a model for other schools in low-income neighborhoods that struggle with performance.

• Punish the lowest-performing 5 percent of schools using aggressive measures, such as having the state take over federal funding for poor students, replacing the principal and half the teaching staff or closing the school altogether.

• Duncan has said the name No Child Left Behind will be dropped because it is associated with a harsh law that punishes schools for not reaching benchmarks even if they've made big gains. He said the administration will work with Congress to come up with a new name.

This is a big plus for the President.

I have come to realize that he has assumed the wrong office, as he would have been an astounding Sec'y of Education.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Bravo PC. I think you're spot-on: he'd make a great Sec. of Ed.

(excepting of course that the Dept. of Ed. was necessary?):confused:

It's about time. This is one of the reasons I voted for Obama, because he said he was going to change....
This is GREAT news!

Its good news: especially: "the name No Child Left Behind will be dropped because it is associated with a harsh law that punishes schools for not reaching benchmarks even if they've made big gains."

Always important to change the name of a Law passed by a Republican President.:eusa_whistle:

It's not the Government's job to get them into anything; parents are responsible for providing such guidance for to children.

True.

Of course, if parents are NOT responsible, then what happens?

I know, just a wild-and-crazy concept, "irresponsible parents." In Boediccaland they might be very rare indeed, but here on my planet they comprise about 5% of the population.

Education should involve acquiring basic knowledge and skills that enable the child to have a variety of choices. A curriculum with solid basics supplemented with some specilization (deeper science, math, vocational) - supported by values encouraged by the parents is the best balance, imo.

We've had a quite a few years of increased Federal interference with the results being less effective schools and higher rates of illiteracy. More Federal involvement is not the solution.

I didn't know that schools had become less effective since NCLB, in fact, I'm sure the opposite is true.

Do you have anything to support; "We've had a quite a few years of increased Federal interference with the results being less effective schools and higher rates of illiteracy?"

You don't expect teachers to motivate students? Wouldn't that make school even more boring than it is now?

I expect teachers to teach using methods best suited to their students. I expect parents and students to be the motivators.

I expect teachers to teach using methods best suited to their students. I expect parents and students to be the motivators.

Isn't motivation a good thing? Why should it be restricted to just your parents?

I know many people that were motivated by teachers, their pastor, a neighbor,the president, a famous person......

Isn't motivation a good thing? Why should it be restricted to just your parents?

I know many people that were motivated by teachers, their pastor, a neighbor,the president, a famous person......

You are suggesting the US taxpayer be the motivator. I am suggesting the best source of motivation is yourself and your parents. You are not going to motivate me into thinking my money is necessary to motivate someone else. You might be able to legally steal it, but that is all.

I
In the proposed dismantling of the No Child Left Behind law, education officials would move away from punishing schools that don't meet benchmarks....

OK

Punish the lowest-performing 5 percent of schools using aggressive measures, such as having the state take over federal funding for poor students, replacing the principal and half the teaching staff or closing the school altogether.

Typical doublespeak from this failure of an Administration....and god forbid we have students performing at grade level!!!!! What is this world coming to when we ask students to actually perform at the grade levels they are in!!!!

You are suggesting the US taxpayer be the motivator. I am suggesting the best source of motivation is yourself and your parents. You are not going to motivate me into thinking my money is necessary to motivate someone else. You might be able to legally steal it, but that is all.

US taxpayers have been motivating students for hundreds of years through building schools, hiring good teachers, setting up curriculums, buying textbooks

US taxpayers have been motivating students for hundreds of years through building schools, hiring good teachers, setting up curriculums, buying textbooks
Here's some real motivation for you....
WilsonPublicSchool.JPG

Here's some real motivation for you....
WilsonPublicSchool.JPG

Looks kind of like the first school I went to

I just found out what Barry is up too:
My Way News - Dems seek agreement, quick vote on health care
Its a PAYOFF to pass healthcare, they are going to ride this on the Barrycare bill to make it pass!
ANOTHER back room dirty deal!!!
Curses foiled again!

So it looks like after Obama fixes healthcare he is going to fix our education system

Damn! This guy is GOOD

Why are you so dependent upon Obama to fix things for you?

Are you so inept that you can't provide healthcare for your family and an education for your children?

I just found out what Barry is up too:
My Way News - Dems seek agreement, quick vote on health care
Its a PAYOFF to pass healthcare, they are going to ride this on the Barrycare bill to make it pass!
ANOTHER back room dirty deal!!!
Curses foiled again!

So it looks like after Obama fixes healthcare he is going to fix our education system

Damn! This guy is GOOD

Are you so inept that you can't provide healthcare for your family and an education for your children?

My family is well taken care of. Unlike Conservatives, I care about the needs of ALL Americans, not just the ones I happen to like.

The "I got mine....the hell with everyone else" just doesn't cut it

Since when has the federal government built schools, hired teachers, set up curriculum or buy books? You are not very aware of how this works, so your evaluation of what would fix it is very suspect.

Curses foiled again!

Damn! This guy is GOOD

My family is well taken care of. Unlike Conservatives, I care about the needs of ALL Americans, not just the ones I happen to like.

The "I got mine....the hell with everyone else" just doesn't cut it

Bingo, such a tired conservative talking point, that anybody who supports programs to help those in need out, they must not be able to take care of themselves or want things for free. Do the people make such tired arguments get tired of looking like complete and utter morons.

Well, Ted Kennedy is dead and not here to defend his program, so I guess anything's fair game to this administration.

Forum List

Back