President is right: foreign-controlled corporations could influence our elections

As dilloduck stated, the left doesn't have a problem with Soros doing it .... :eusa_whistle:

Come on, dumb ass, Soros is as much a citizen as you are. In fact, probably more of one, since he is naturalized, and had to pass tests that you probably could not.

Well golly gee, why don't we all just elect him as the next president.........:cuckoo:

Well, golly gee, why don't your read your Constitution before you flap your idiotic yap?

Bradley A. Smith (born 1958) is a former Commissioner, Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and currently serves as the Josiah H. Blackmore II/Shirley M. Nault Designated Professor of Law at Capital University Law School in Columbus, Ohio

Post-FEC career
After leaving the FEC, Smith returned to teaching at Capital University, and founded a non-profit organization, the Center for Competitive Politics, to promote deregulation of campaign finance.

LOL no wonder he's spouting off about campaign funding instead of what the decision is actually about.

It's about the ability for a corporation to spend unlimited amounts of money advertising for or against a candidate.

Previously they were allowed to do this advertising for or against an issue. Like the way the Mormon Church (yes religious entities are included in this ruling too) spent millions on ads against gay marriage in California. That was funding an issue. Now they can do this for a candidate too.

Hey maybe the Taleban and Al Qaeda can spend money advertising for a candidate. Won't that be awesome.

no worse than Soros

Soros is an American Citizen. Has that fact escaped you?:cuckoo:

Come on, dumb ass, Soros is as much a citizen as you are. In fact, probably more of one, since he is naturalized, and had to pass tests that you probably could not.

Well golly gee, why don't we all just elect him as the next president.........:cuckoo:

Well, golly gee, why don't your read your Constitution before you flap your idiotic yap?

I sure will, right after you, Obama and the dems in congress .....:cuckoo:

LOL no wonder he's spouting off about campaign funding instead of what the decision is actually about.

It's about the ability for a corporation to spend unlimited amounts of money advertising for or against a candidate.

Previously they were allowed to do this advertising for or against an issue. Like the way the Mormon Church (yes religious entities are included in this ruling too) spent millions on ads against gay marriage in California. That was funding an issue. Now they can do this for a candidate too.

Hey maybe the Taleban and Al Qaeda can spend money advertising for a candidate. Won't that be awesome.

no worse than Soros

Soros is an American Citizen. Has that fact escaped you?:cuckoo:
Al Capone was an American citizen.:cuckoo:

Lets see......

We can have the Saudis help determine our energy policy
China can help establish our export policy
Mexico can set our immigration policy

Thanks Supreme Court

they already do......at least we will have a written record of it now.....all kidding aside....before mccain fiengold they could do it.....why the outrage now....

And your proof of that is?

This is what I meant in the thread I began entitled 'America is doomed unless'..... GOP supporters (even more than Democratic supporters) will go along with anything their party does. Apparently even if it allows for foreign take over of our elections. I'll grant you that whether or not this decision will allow it won't be know until some foreign owned company steps into an election and is challenged. Once it gets into court, the judges will let us know how they interpret this ruling. But are you guys arguing that? No. You're saying, it's already happening. Which is a bald faced lie. GOP supporters, just like GOP politicians, have place their party over the country. Ole George (Washington) must be turning over in his grave.

Last edited:
A senior administration official told POLITICO on Thursday morning: “There is a loophole that we need to address and are working with Congress to address. There are U.S. subsidiaries of foreign-controlled corporations that could influence our elections because of this ruling."

The issue was raised by Justice John Paul Stevens in his dissent in the case, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission: “It would appear to afford the same protection to multinational corporations controlled by foreigners as to individual Americans.”

Stevens continued: “The Court all but confesses that a categorical approach to speaker identity is untenable when it acknowledges that Congress might be allowed to take measures aimed at preventing foreign individuals or associations from influencing our Nation’s political process. … Such measures have been a part of U.S. campaign finance law for many years. The notion that Congress might lack the authority to distinguish foreigners from citizens in the regulation of electioneering would certainly have surprised the Framers.”

Read more: White House: Obama is right about Supreme Court decision - Mike Allen and Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Barry lied. He didn't even read the decision.

Really? Seems that Justice Stevens said exactly what the President said.

And these are the Justices that gave us George W. Bush. We all know how well that worked out.

Fact is that your messiah lied, rocks. Hey, how about that election in Ma. eh?
Bet you fell off your crapper on that one. :lol:

Let me see, Prince Alaweed's adviser Khalid Monsour got Obama into Harvard and Iraqi Oil for Food Fugitive Nahdmi Aucho funneled money through Rezko to buy the Obama's House and pay him $600,000 in land that only cost Obama $125,000.

Yeah, that foreign money can have an influence

Got any proof? I didn't thnk so.......LOL... you wingnuts are a real trip.

Last edited:

And these are the Justices that gave us George W. Bush. We all know how well that worked out.

Only a sheep would call someone a liar who spoke the truth. If he lied, then Roberts lied in the decision when he basically said that congress would have to keep the foreign own corporations out.

Only a sheep would call someone a liar who spoke the truth. If he lied, then Roberts lied in the decision when he basically said that congress would have to keep the foreign own corporations out.

No just stirring the embers. I heard it for 8 years under the bush administration from the left, so I thought..."What the hell?"
But there are a lot of other things I can call barry a liar for.

A senior administration official told POLITICO on Thursday morning: “There is a loophole that we need to address and are working with Congress to address. There are U.S. subsidiaries of foreign-controlled corporations that could influence our elections because of this ruling."

The issue was raised by Justice John Paul Stevens in his dissent in the case, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission: “It would appear to afford the same protection to multinational corporations controlled by foreigners as to individual Americans.”

Stevens continued: “The Court all but confesses that a categorical approach to speaker identity is untenable when it acknowledges that Congress might be allowed to take measures aimed at preventing foreign individuals or associations from influencing our Nation’s political process. … Such measures have been a part of U.S. campaign finance law for many years. The notion that Congress might lack the authority to distinguish foreigners from citizens in the regulation of electioneering would certainly have surprised the Framers.”

Read more: White House: Obama is right about Supreme Court decision - Mike Allen and Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Obama taught "Constitutional Law" for 10 years at the University level. He's no George friggen Bush. I'm pretty sure Obama knows what he is talking about. Besides, every lawyer in the US agrees.

Republicans - Don't believe scientists
Republicans - Don't believe lawyers

Who do they believe? Michelle Bachman.

Your an idiot rdean. Just remember....those that can do, and those that can't teach..... at that level.
Please show me your link where every lawyer in the US agrees.

PS there are a lot of democrats that don't believe lawyers, republicans don't have a monopoly on that.
Republicans and most democrats believe in true science and not tainted science. Geeze....you are a kool-aid drinker, aren't you?

Last edited:
I wonder why Obama made such a fuss over this issue?

Is he tipping his hand?

George Soros funded Obama's campaign. He is a foreign investor. He practically tells Obama what to do.

Don't you think this is an example of foreign influence. Not to mention the way he kisses the Saudis asses.

Last edited:
By the way....if the White House says he's right that doesn't mean he is.

Conservatives jumped on Obama’s comment. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said on Fox News’s "Hannity" that Obama was “embarrassing our Supreme Court. … This will be the huge takeaway moment.”

On National Review’s The Corner, law professor Bradley A. Smith wrote: “The president's statement is false. … This is either blithering ignorance of the law or demagoguery of the worst kind.”

Conservative Dan Riehl added: “f this becomes the narrative it hurts Obama and distracts from anything he may have wanted to accomplish with the address.”

HAMAS had phone banks operating for Obama

Yea, what a threat - "HAMAS" with all their BILLIONS of dollars.:lol::rofl::funnyface:

You have no problem with a terrorist organization helping a candidate for POTUS? I wonder if you would feel the same had they been pitching for McCain?

I find your attitude towards this to be impressively stupid.

Let me see, Prince Alaweed's adviser Khalid Monsour got Obama into Harvard and Iraqi Oil for Food Fugitive Nahdmi Aucho funneled money through Rezko to buy the Obama's House and pay him $600,000 in land that only cost Obama $125,000.

Yeah, that foreign money can have an influence

Link?? Or did you read that off the toilet paper you just wiped your ass with??

Link pls!! :cool:

HAMAS had phone banks operating for Obama

Yea, what a threat - "HAMAS" with all their BILLIONS of dollars.:lol::rofl::funnyface:

You have no problem with a terrorist organization helping a candidate for POTUS? I wonder if you would feel the same had they been pitching for McCain?

On Al-Qaeda Web Sites, Joy Over U.S. Crisis, Support for McCain

As the Washington Post detailed Wednesday, Al Qaeda cadres see a McCain as the best bet to perpetuate the policies of President Bush they see bankrupting the United States and the West:

"Al-Qaeda will have to support McCain in the coming election," said a commentary posted Monday on the extremist Web site al-Hesbah, which is closely linked to the terrorist group. It said the Arizona Republican would continue the "failing march of his predecessor," President Bush...

...It further suggested that a terrorist strike might swing the election to McCain and guarantee an expansion of U.S. military commitments in the Islamic world.

"It will push the Americans deliberately to vote for McCain so that he takes revenge for them against al-Qaeda," said the posting, attributed to Muhammad Haafid, a longtime contributor to the password-protected site. "Al-Qaeda then will succeed in exhausting America."

As the Washington Post detailed Wednesday, Al Qaeda cadres see a McCain as the best bet to perpetuate the policies of President Bush they see bankrupting the United States and the West:

"Al-Qaeda will have to support McCain in the coming election," said a commentary posted Monday on the extremist Web site al-Hesbah, which is closely linked to the terrorist group. It said the Arizona Republican would continue the "failing march of his predecessor," President Bush...

...It further suggested that a terrorist strike might swing the election to McCain and guarantee an expansion of U.S. military commitments in the Islamic world.

"It will push the Americans deliberately to vote for McCain so that he takes revenge for them against al-Qaeda," said the posting, attributed to Muhammad Haafid, a longtime contributor to the password-protected site. "Al-Qaeda then will succeed in exhausting America."

Again and again you link to rubbish to back up your argument. I find it laughable, I really do.

Simple fact, the POTUS was wrong. Shocking as it may be, he was wrong.

Again and again you link to rubbish to back up your argument. I find it laughable, I really do.

Simple fact, the POTUS was wrong. Shocking as it may be, he was wrong.

The decision was something like 150 plus pages long. In those pages there were three separate exclusions of foreign investors and special interests keeping them from falling under the decision. 3.....of which Obama failed to notice.

Obama may have taught constitutional law, but his focus was on civil rights. He has never plied his trade for an extended period of time. Those justices have and are currently....so I think Obama needs to keep his trap shut and let them do their jobs and stick to screwing up the economy. It's plain to see he's good at that.

Last edited:

President Obama and the Courts - WSJ.com

In the case of Barack Obama v. Supreme Court of the United States, that was some oral argument on Wednesday night. With the Justices arrayed a few feet in front of him in the House chamber, President Obama blistered their recent decision defending free political speech for corporations and unions. As Democrats in Congress and Cabinet members rose and applauded around them, the Justices sat stern-faced, save for Samuel Alito, who was seen shaking his head and mouthing the words "Not true."

Bravo, Justice Alito.

We're not among those who think the Supreme Court is above criticism. Especially in recent decades as the judiciary has become more political, and has encroached on the powers of Congress and the executive, politicians in the other branches have an obligation to defend their powers. Mr. Obama may have exhibited bad manners in sandbagging the Justices without warning on national TV, but he has every right to disagree with their rulings.

But could a graduate of Harvard Law School at least get his facts right? "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections," Mr. Obama averred. "Well, I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities."

Let's unpack the falsehoods. The Court didn't reverse "a century of law," but merely two more recent precedents, one from 1990 and part of another from 2003. Austin v. Michigan Chamber of Commerce in 1990 had set the Court in a markedly new direction in limiting independent corporate campaign expenditures. This is the outlier case that needed to be overturned.

Mr. Obama is also a sudden convert to stare decisis. Does he now believe that all Court precedents of a certain duration are sacrosanct, such as Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal, 1896), which was overturned by Brown v. Board (1954)? Or Bowers v. Hardwick (a ban on sodomy, 1986), which was overturned by Lawrence v. Texas (2003)?

The President's claim about "foreign entities" bankrolling U.S. political campaigns is also false, since the Court did not overrule laws limiting such contributions. His use of "foreign" was a conscious attempt to inflame public and Congressional opinion against the Court. Coming from a President who fancies himself a citizen of the world, and who has gone so far as foreswear American exceptionalism, this leap into talk-show nativism is certainly illuminating. What will they think of that one in the cafes of Berlin?

Desperate Presidents do desperate things, and Mr. Obama's riff against the Supremes reveals a President who—let us try to follow Mr. Obama's admonition about changing the "tone" of our politics—lacks grace under pressure.

Forum List

Back