President Alexander Hamilton?

What was the name of the First Lady when James Buchana was President?

• Harriet Lane

• William Rufus DeVane King

• Pineapple

• He was never married and option A. was the White House Hostess during James Buchana Presidency...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hmm. The OP article first says "Thomas Moore" and later "Sir Thomas More".

So did they mean both? Or did they mean just the one. If so, it is funny they misspelled the name in an article making fun of other people's ignorance, yes?

It tell me you did not read the entire article because at the end of the article they explained it clearly and I have pointed out the funny part of it to you.

The OP article says Thomas Moore. Not Sir Thomas More.

Thomas Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Our best guess is that the Anglo-Saxon structure of his name, the frequency of both parts of the name, and possibly his confusability with Sir Thomas More, the counselor to King Henry VIII, may have contributed to the name’s familiarity and false recognition,” the team writes.

Was Alexander Hamilton President? — Pacific Standard

"This may also account for the fact that a high number of people thought Benjamin Franklin and Hubert Humphrey were presidents, though it doesn’t explain why 31 percent of participants thought Thomas Moore had been president."

“Our best guess is that the Anglo-Saxon structure of his name, the frequency of both parts of the name, and possibly his confusability with Sir Thomas More, the counselor to King Henry VIII, may have contributed to the name’s familiarity and false recognition,” the team writes.

"This may also account for the fact that a high number of people thought Benjamin Franklin and Hubert Humphrey were presidents, though it doesn’t explain why 31 percent of participants thought Thomas Moore had been president."

You did not read the entire article and you're the idiot here!

If you have enough of an education to have even heard of the Irish poet Thomas Moore, or Lord Chancellor Thomas More, you would not mistake either of them for an American President.

So the people polled clearly had never heard of either of them. What it demonstrates is that many Americans are so unfamiliar with the names of our Presidents, they thought it is possible we have had one named Thomas Moore (More).

If you have enough of an education to have even heard of the Irish poet Thomas Moore, or Chancellor Thomas More, you would not mistake either of them for an American President.

So the people polled clearly had never heard of either of them. What it demonstrates is that many Americans are so unfamiliar with the names of our Presidents, they thought it is possible we have had one named Thomas Moore (More).

Duh!

Really?

Me So Stupid and did not conclude that, and thank you for explaining the obvious to me!

It's Sir Thomas MORE numbnuts.

BBC - History - Historic Figures: Thomas More (1478 - 1535)

Sir Thomas More - History Learning Site

540x360.jpg

parliap1tm.jpg

more_grave.jpg

Sir_Thomas_More_family's_vault_in_St_Dunstan's_Church_(Canterbury).jpg

Of course it's Sir Thomas More.

Sir Thomas More is a very interesting historical figure.

We're three for three!

No we're not, but thanks for showing your TOTAL ignorance.

I just proved what Bruce and I and others already know, that it's Sir Thomas MORE.

Proof "Utopia" by Sir Thomas More original first edition, the plaque of the place he was condemned, his main grave and as he was beheaded, the place where his head is buried, also two links one to the BBC History site and another to a general History site.

I am concluding that the individual did not read the entire article and caught the spelling of Moore and concluded I had spelt the name incorrectly when all I was doing was pointing out the stupidity of the average American by confusing Moore and More as possible former Presidents of this fine nation.

Of course the poster will double down on trying to claim I was incorrect the whole time, and nothing will stop them or will get them to correct their mistake, so I say screw it!

The reality as I have written is that the majority of Americans are too stupid to know the history of the country and would prefer to learn about the possible next name of a Kardashian than the political history and sexual lifestyle of James Buchanan.

The average American could not even name the VP or the previous VP of this nation but ask them what Taylor Swift favorite color is they will know and that is scary how stupid this nation has become.

The failure to know our history allows it to be repeated like has been done many times through humanity history, and we never learn!

I am concluding that the individual did not read the entire article and caught the spelling of Moore and concluded I had spelt the name incorrectly when all I was doing was pointing out the stupidity of the average American by confusing Moore and More as possible former Presidents of this fine nation.
You are correct. My bad. :D

If you have enough of an education to have even heard of the Irish poet Thomas Moore, or Chancellor Thomas More, you would not mistake either of them for an American President.

Duh!

Really?

Me So Stupid and did not conclude that, and thank you for explaining the obvious to me!
The article implies the people polled thought THE Thomas More was President. I seriously doubt that.

Duh!

Really?

The article implies the people polled thought THE Thomas More was President. I seriously doubt that.

I believe they confused the name and believe someone with the name Thomas ( Thomas Jefferson ) or Moore ( More ) could have been President and not thinking it through took the leap by selecting the name Thomas Moore ( More )...

Have a great weekend and apologizes for my asshole attitude and promise it will happen again... :)

Duh!

Really?

If I was following what Bruce said - honestly Bruce :whip::tongue: - I thought you thought Sir Thomas More was Sir Thomas MOORE, so if that's the case, I apologise.

Duh!

Really?

If I was following what Bruce said - honestly Bruce :whip::tongue: - I thought you thought Sir Thomas More was Sir Thomas MOORE, so if that's the case, I apologise.

No, Sir Thomas More is from King Henry the VIII era and is the bases of the 1966 movie ( A Man for All Seasons ), and and not to be confused with Thomas Moore...

The article at the end stated that most might have confused the two, and that is what I was chuckling about is how the average American did not even know neither were President, and even thought Franklin was also President...

Duh!

Really?

No, Sir Thomas More is from King Henry the VIII era and is the bases of the 1966 movie ( A Man for All Seasons ), and and not to be confused with Thomas Moore...

The article at the end stated that most might have confused the two, and that is what I was chuckling about is how the average American did not even know neither were President, and even thought Franklin was also President...

Yes earlier we agreed that Sir Thomas More is an interesting historical figure....I thought g5000 thought More was spelled incorrectly and thought it was Sir Thomas Moore, not that Thomas Moore was Knighted.

If those people are so stupid that they confused the two, it's debatable if they actually know anything about Sir Thomas More in the first place.

"A Man For All Seasons", directed by Fred Zinnemann, Paul Schofield is excellent and Robert Shaw is excellent as Henry VIII.

I've previously encountered people who think Benjamin Franklin was a President.

It is amazing how many Americans fail their political history and believe Alexander Hamilton was a former President of this great country or that Sir Thomas More was also a former President...

Living proof the failure of our school system across this country...

Enjoy the chuckle, and remember neither Hamilton nor More were Presidents and neither was Franklin...

And the point of this thread?

It is amazing how many Americans fail their political history and believe Alexander Hamilton was a former President of this great country or that Sir Thomas More was also a former President...

Enjoy the chuckle, and remember neither Hamilton nor More were Presidents and neither was Franklin...

Some people also incorrectly think Benjamin Franklin was a President.

Yeah, but the Sir Thomas More was the kicker for me!

I guess Political History here in the states is something not as important as keeping up with the Kardashians...

I doubt many can tell you the name of the VP candidate that was running with Michael Dukakis in the 1988 Presidential Elections, or the name of Walter Mondale VP candidate for the 1984 election but they could tell you what color of hair Kim Kardashian is wearing...

Is this just about you wanting to pat yourself on the back for some reason?

And the point of this thread?

The point of the thread?

I do not know why don't you tell me what I can write and when?

It seem you have an agenda, so please send me a PM when i am allow to post on this site seeing I must need it from you, alright?

Some people also incorrectly think Benjamin Franklin was a President.

Yeah, but the Sir Thomas More was the kicker for me!

I guess Political History here in the states is something not as important as keeping up with the Kardashians...

I doubt many can tell you the name of the VP candidate that was running with Michael Dukakis in the 1988 Presidential Elections, or the name of Walter Mondale VP candidate for the 1984 election but they could tell you what color of hair Kim Kardashian is wearing...

Is this just about you wanting to pat yourself on the back for some reason?

No, I am enjoying the fact it is bothering you that I did not get your permission to post something. Now what is your point in all this?

Is it to post hump me, and if so please know you need to kiss me first and tell me I have beautiful eyes, and if not then well you can kiss off...

Any other questions, and I bet you are one of those that Thomas More was a former President, right?

If so it might be because you confused the Thomas for Thomas Jefferson and Millard Fillmore for the More part, and if so don't feel bad you can be one of the mindless people in the world that would know the next name for a Kardashian or the color of Taylor Swift beaver...

Forum List

Back