Preserve more American Civil War sites?

Discussion in 'History' started by whitehall, Jun 4, 2011.

1. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    The History Channel sponsored, "American Pickers" claim that "Civil War sites are being lost to construction at the rate of an acre per hour". The figure seems exaggerated. They want Americans to donate a couple of bucks "to preserve Civil War sites"'. The US seems to be bi-polar these days when it comes to the Civil War heritage. One faction says that Southern Americans should be arrested for flying the Confederate flag while they make money from the tourism that the Civil War generates. How much Civil War acerage should we preserve? We have every major battlefield fenced in and patrolled by Federal Police. Believe me if you pick up a mini ball in a federal park you will spend the night in the slammer if the Cops catch you. If they preserved every acre in Europe that was fought over they would have the whole place fenced in. Enough is enough. Visit Gettysburg or Antitam and quit whining about preserving every place that Civil War troops ever visited.

2. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    I agree a visit to Gettysburg is cool - however - there's a lot of Civil War stuff in Virginia that I love to visit (family cemeteries, churches, homes, etc.). Would be a shame to replace them with a WalMart

3. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The American Civil War is probably the most important event in American History (since the official creation of the country). It most definitely changed and shaped the last 150 years of this country more than anything else. To that end, I believe that ALL of the major battlefields should be maintained, along with as many of the lesser sites as is possible. If you have never walked the field at Gettysburg, I urge you to make the trip someday. I don't think anyone can stand upon that ground and leave without it impacting them in some way.

4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    It would take you a week to "walk the field" at Gettysburg. I spent two days and hardly scratched the surface. My point is that every major battlefield has been preserved. I don't know what the "pickers" are refering to when they say "an acre an hour is being lost". What happens when you donate the $2.40 or whatever the reality stars are promoting? Some phantom entity buys an acre of alleged "Civil War" turf and sits on it until they can sell it for a bundle or try to promote tourism to an obscure place nobody visits? Is it a scam or an honest project that is doomed to failure or is it a greenie project to lock up acreage?

5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    I doubt if it's legal for Walmart to plow up a cemetary to build a parking lot. My guess is that the "pickers" are refering to minor battlefields and perhaps old homes that are slated for demolition. You can't keep them all. Lexington, Va. home of VMI which sent college kids to fight for the Confederacy at New Market, turned down the tourist attraction of the Confederate Museum. Everything in Lexington is named "Stonewall Jackson" something or other but the city was afraid to accept the Confederate museum because of the alleged racist connection. So, you have everything including the hospital named after a Confederate general but the city fathers didn't want to take the chance in accepting a guaranteed tourist attraction called "Museum of the Confederacy" because of the alleged offensive nature of the Confederacy. That's the bi-polarism I'm talking about. I find it difficult to understand the push to "preserve Civil War sites".

6. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Yes it would take a week to walk the entire battlefield. However, simply taking the standard tour, which gives you a reasonable overview of the major locations on the field is all it takes to get a feel for the history and importance of the place. I'd love to spend a month at that battlefield, but somehow I doubt my boss would approve.

Gettysburg is a good example. There WAS a plan to build a WalMart on part of the battlefield, or on a parcel directly adjacent to it that was shot down in the last couple of years. I do believe the plan called for some of the park land to be included in the construction site. Those are the type of projects that the monies should be going to prevent. This is not a new program, it's been around for at least 5 years that I'm aware of and probably much longer.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    To quote Stephen King "what's fun is fun and what's done is done". Every major Civil War battlefield is fenced in and fully financed and policed. While the left is pretending the Confederacy never existed (but making a once modest tourist dollar) they seem to want to preserve more Civil War sites that can't possibly be maintained or ever make a tourist profit. I am a loss to understand why.

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Are you sure they were talking about Civil War Battlefields? Heck, those sound like the exact words I used to hear on the Animal Planet (I think that was the channel) when they were talking about the destruction of the Rainforests in Brazil. I mean right down to the "acre an hour".

Immie

9. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    This comes down to one of the main questions with any level of historical site.... What's more important: the History or turning a Profit?

Personally, I think that the History is more important most of the time. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me. I also know that there are a bunch of sites of very minor historical importance that look for support and protection even though they really don't deserve it.

In terms of the Civil War the problem is two-fold.....

First you have one area of the country (the South) that would preserve everything related to the conflict versus another area that wouldn't bother preserving any of it (the North). You're asking people from the North to help support the protection of sites that most of them will never visit and which have little to no interest to most of them.

Secondly you have the connection between the Civil War and the wholely politically incorrect concept of slavery. A lot of people associate the war solely with that topic, therefore they would like to scrub all mention and rememberances of it out of existance to protect their fragile little egos.

10. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    Yeah, "an acre an hour" seems to work for a lot of psudo science including global warming. I like the American Pickers and it's a shame they were coerced to shill for a fake crisis. It's been about 150 years since the Civil War so the ad-agencies came up with a plan to donate $1.50 "to save the Civil War sites. Get it? 150 Years and $1.50? Except there aren't any Civil War sites that still need "saving".