Premiums for new "high risk" pool could be steep

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Premiums for new "high risk" pool could be steep

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's new health coverage for uninsured Americans with health problems won't be cheap — premiums averaging $300 to $600 a month in the largest states, according to a government website that went live Thursday.

From cheaper to most expensive, premiums will range from a $140 a month to as much as $900, Richard Popper, deputy director of a new insurance office at the federal Health and Human Services department, said Wednesday.

The Associated Press: Premiums for new "high risk" pool could be steep

That does not seem too steep to me, but what I found interesting was this bit:

The biggest question hanging over the program is whether the $5 billion allocated will be enough.

Millions of people meet the basic qualifications for coverage, and technical experts who advise Congress and the administration have warned the funds could be exhausted as early as the end of 2011.

HHS officials sidestepped questions about what would happen if the money runs out. One option is for the government to limit enrollment.

Isn't that what this was supposed to stop having uninsured? So they will add more money to the billions already spent?

So the cheapest will be "$140" a month

Watch how fast they howl about that too. I can hear it now "It's ttttttoooooo much! What happened to free? We wanted free!"

And as to limiting enrolment, how much do you want to bet all of the middle class will be out on their asses...again.

Forum List

Back