Preacher or President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by get_involved, Aug 25, 2011.

1. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr.Owl

Mr.Owl Geaux Tigers!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    He's like a semi-abated Bachmann

3. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    I agree, but he will knock Bachmann out of the race. He will appeal to the right except the most rabid and be acceptable to whatever moderate Republicans are left. He's got a lot of baggage to carry into the general election.

If elected he's going to swear to uphold the constitution and he doesn't believe Medicare or Social Security are constitutional. That's going to make 50 million seniors pretty nervous. He against direct election of senators but would rather have the governor appoint them. He might certainly get some support on his suggestion to repeal federal income tax, but that certainly will brand him a nut case. He's got a lot of explaining to do.

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,006
    Again, most Americans barely understand that Medicare is a government program. (Remember the guy who yelled at Obama "Keep your Gummit hands off my Medicare!")

And most of them can't even name their senator, much less understand how he gets to Washington.

I think you guys are thinking like liberals and not like Joe SixPack. Joe Sixpack doesn't have your love of the 16th and 17th Amendments. He just knows what we are doing ain't working, and Obama isn't up to the job. Until Obama can reverse that increasing sentiment, Perry is probably going to walk right over him.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,155
    I am not, as of yet, a Perry supporter, or a supporter of anyone at this point. But can you please enlighten us as to which part of what you posted you believe indicates that he is nuts? Just saying he is nuts doesnt really help discussion because you could be refering to any number of things or something completely non-existant.

Clarification would just be appreciated.

6. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    I think the people will understand Perry's intentions pretty well went they hear he thinks Social Security and Medicare aren't constitutional and they shouldn't have the right to vote for their Senators. Even Joe Six Pack will understand that. I rather doubt very many people will agree with Perry's opinion that it's OK to succeed from the union if you disagree with the federal government.

7. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    He IS your next pResident. Deal with it.

8. nolebrakai

nolebrakai Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I don think American will vote in a Texan again, thats just asking for trouble. We know how successful Texas presidents have been as of late.

No way Perry can win a general election. I just cant see it, secondly, I don't want to see the day.

listened to a super disturbing piece on NPR the other day on this very topic. I just wish religion would stay out of American politics. It does zero to move us forward as a nation of many different denominations.

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    This is sort of correct. Most "Joe Sixpack" type guys don't understand the destruction of our financial industry wrought by the lax regulatory practices of the Bush administration. But basically a good way to look at it is like 9/11. The WTC took over a decade to build and hours to destroy. 10 years later..it's still not rebuilt. That's the level of destruction that 8 years of the Bush administration did to an economy that took nearly 233 years to build.

10. nolebrakai

nolebrakai Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Bush was a fail, epic fail.

Obama ain't exactly heading in the other direction as we speak. lets not throw stones in a glass nation. Both parities are to blame.

I do have to add, you have to love the fact that Jimmy Carter installed solar panels on he white house during his tenure. One of the first things Reagan did when he took office, he took them down. sort of a perfect microcosm of the past 30-40 years if you ask me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2