Praying public school teacher resigns

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Back in May, I read a news article about a public school math teacher who was being fired because she refused to stop leading her class in prayer. Apparently the nitwits in the school didn't leave a paper trail when they warned her to stop so without any evidence that they warned her, they hired her back within 24 hours (it was the 2nd time she had been fired for the same offense). She arrogantly vowed to continue leading her class in prayer despite the warnings from the school. I got pissed off so I alerted Americans United for Separation of Church and State and as a result, in July they sent the school district a letter telling them that they had to make her stop or get sued. I just found out that the teacher, realizing that she was not going to win, resigned her position!

Praying teacher granted release from FCHS contract - The Daily Leader: Topstories

The woman could not follow the rules of her employment.
She should have been fired.

Yep, a long time ago but the people in that area supported her in her defiance because they thought that everyone needs God, the Christian God, anyway. I'm sure this must be happening at other schools in that area but we'll take them one at a time.

Yep, a long time ago but the people in that area supported her in her defiance because they thought that everyone needs God, the Christian God, anyway. I'm sure this must be happening at other schools in that area but we'll take them one at a time.

How do you atheists feel about Muslim prayer in school? Making special arrangements for them to have a prayer time and place?

http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/muslim_prayer_in_public_schools

"These schools are giving the Islamic students breaks to pray during the school day. In fact, the complaint has been made that an extra recess was created in the San Diego district just for prayer.

How Much Prayer?
According to Akram Shami, from the Islamic Center of Southern California in Los Angeles, "We pray to God, we worship God, and we recite verses from the Koran. Prayer is typical at noon or 1 p.m. but there are five daily prayers." [Randy Dotinga, The Christian Science Monitor, scmonitor.com, July 12, 2007] Shami goes on to say that in some public schools, students leave classes momentarily or even wait to pray when they get home.

At Carver Elementary School in San Diego students are praying 15 minutes during an afternoon recess and an hour after lunch. Extra breaks were put into the school day this year to accommodate 100 Muslim students that transferred from a closed Arabic languge program."

Read more at Suite101: Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity? http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/muslim_prayer_in_public_schools#ixzz0x5jQmaNe

Last edited:

How do you atheists feel about Muslim prayer in school? Making special arrangements for them to have a prayer time and place?

Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity?

"These schools are giving the Islamic students breaks to pray during the school day. In fact, the complaint has been made that an extra recess was created in the San Diego district just for prayer.

How Much Prayer?
According to Akram Shami, from the Islamic Center of Southern California in Los Angeles, "We pray to God, we worship God, and we recite verses from the Koran. Prayer is typical at noon or 1 p.m. but there are five daily prayers." [Randy Dotinga, The Christian Science Monitor, scmonitor.com, July 12, 2007] Shami goes on to say that in some public schools, students leave classes momentarily or even wait to pray when they get home.

At Carver Elementary School in San Diego students are praying 15 minutes during an afternoon recess and an hour after lunch. Extra breaks were put into the school day this year to accommodate 100 Muslim students that transferred from a closed Arabic languge program."

Read more at Suite101: Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity? Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity?

Just so long as it doesn't include the word "Jesus" it is OK. ;)

Back in May, I read a news article about a public school math teacher who was being fired because she refused to stop leading her class in prayer. Apparently the nitwits in the school didn't leave a paper trail when they warned her to stop so without any evidence that they warned her, they hired her back within 24 hours (it was the 2nd time she had been fired for the same offense). She arrogantly vowed to continue leading her class in prayer despite the warnings from the school. I got pissed off so I alerted Americans United for Separation of Church and State and as a result, in July they sent the school district a letter telling them that they had to make her stop or get sued. I just found out that the teacher, realizing that she was not going to win, resigned her position!

Praying teacher granted release from FCHS contract - The Daily Leader: Topstories

Wow you are brave. A hero in fact.

Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity?

How Much Prayer?

Read more at Suite101: Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity? Muslim Prayer in Public Schools: Are Public Schools Accommodating Islam Over Christianity?

Yup, allowing Muslims to pray is just wise thinking, allowing Christians to pray is against the Constitution. After all Christians won't blow you up if you do not believe.

Nobody should get to rearrange a public school schedule to suit their religious desires.

What she said.

And yet all across the Country Public Schools are doing it. New York did, California did it and now we find out other districts are doing it. And not one peep from atheists or the ACLU. BUT a Christian teacher prays and we have posters announcing how they demanded action.

I think there's a big difference between a teacher leading prayer and students going off to pray by themselves. I see it the same as reading the Bible at lunch time. As long as it's not officially led and seperate from actual class, there should be no problem.

How Much Prayer?

Yup, allowing Muslims to pray is just wise thinking, allowing Christians to pray is against the Constitution. After all Christians won't blow you up if you do not believe.

are you purposely being dishonest?

ALLOWING students to pray is NOT the same thing as a teacher LEADING the students in prayer!

christian students can pray all day long

they can sit at their desks and close their eyes and pray to god all during every class

and then suffer the inevitable failing grades

christian students can pray at lunch time
recess

before each class

They just can't force everyone else to pray with them
(nor can muslims)
(nor can PUBLIC SCHOOL teachers lead the class in prayers)

Nobody should get to rearrange a public school schedule to suit their religious desires.

What she said.

And yet all across the Country Public Schools are doing it. New York did, California did it and now we find out other districts are doing it. And not one peep from atheists or the ACLU. BUT a Christian teacher prays and we have posters announcing how they demanded action.

Well, if it happens here in Cleveland, I will bitch. This is wrong.

I don't have a problem with that and I would also not have a problem with a christian being given the same opportunity. How does this relate to the topic of teacher lead prayer, though? It's a different subject altogether.

Last edited:

What she said.

You're comparing apples and oranges, Gomer. The teacher in question was leading the class in prayer. That is a world apart from a student being allowed to say a prayer outside the classroom. If you need it explained to you, let me know.

How Much Prayer?

Any muslim teacher making their kids do muslim prayers in class should be fired too.

Making SPECIAL accommodations for one religion but not others is wrong, it CLEARLY implies that the school system is partial to one but not the others. It ESTABLISHES that one religion is more supported them the others. Either all religions are supported or none are. Funny how when Christians ask for special consideration you turds are all up in arms but Islam asks and it is suddenly hunky dory. Hypocrites.

Forum List

Back