*Prayful Help For The People Of Japan*

chesswarsnow

"SASQUATCH IS WATCHING"
Dec 9, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
Sorry bout that,

1. Japan is being sent through the meat grinder, and I send over my payers to comfort those who've survived, and for the souls of those who are lost, this tragic event is shocking, and is sure that thousands upon thousands are lost.
2. Its my hearts desire, that things calm down for the people of Japan, and that the nuclear site gets settled, and secured.
3. Here in USA we have had a small impact from the tsunami that hit the coastal area, I pray for them as well, its a wonder more island nations like the Philippines were not wiped out, which I am thankful for.
4. For the good people of Japan my heart goes out to you, hang in there, helps on the way.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Breathing in the tragedy in Japan, all the pain, fear and suffering. Breathing out all the blessings I have rcceived in the past, in the present and in the future.

Seeing the whole country of Japan bathed in the light of love and compassion. Sending wishing prayers.

May you be happy.
May you be free from suffering.
May you be at peace.
May you be free from fear.
May your all your temporary obstacles be released.
May you become enlightened in order to benefit all sentient beings.
May you be happy.
May you come to know the sorrowless state.
May samsara be quickly freed of it's suffering.

Which would you rather have? People thinking of you kindly, people ignoring your suffering, or people wishing you suffer more?

Does prayer really help others? That's a whole topic in itself.

In my sangha, we have a prayer list that we read during any daily sadhana practice and during special holy days during the month we offer dedication of our practice to all who need it.

Tonight I will be attending one and we will be praying for the people in Japan affected by the earthquake and tsunami and all others

Last edited:
Which would you rather have? People thinking of you kindly, people ignoring your suffering, or people wishing you suffer more?

People "thinking" of me in any capacity has absolutely no effect on me so therefore it's a waste of their time and mine to believe otherwise.

If you want to help, pick up a shovel and actually do something.

People "thinking" of me in any capacity has absolutely no effect on me so therefore it's a waste of their time and mine to believe otherwise.

Actually, thinking of others affects how you use that shovel. If you pick it up out of genuine altruistic motivation and have a vast mind to all the beings you'd like to help but can't, then your act becomes a vast offering.

If you shovel with resentment and anger, you help no one, not even yourself.

If you shovel out of pride, out of showing that you are so much better than those who are home praying, you miss an opportunity to create merit and wisdom with your goodwill.

Motivation is very important in prayer.

Most of us, as human beings have a mixed motivation--some selfish, some altruistic.

I do take your point though. Good works are necessary.

In this, I must give Christians enormous credit for the various charities, fund raising, and hands on service work they do. It's inspiring.

Actually, thinking of others affects how you use that shovel. If you pick it up out of genuine altruistic motivation and have a vast mind to all the beings you'd like to help but can't, then your act becomes a vast offering.

If you shovel with resentment and anger, you help no one, not even yourself.

If you shovel out of pride, out of showing that you are so much better than those who are home praying, you miss an opportunity to create merit and wisdom with your goodwill.

Motivation is very important in prayer.

Most of us, as human beings have a mixed motivation--some selfish, some altruistic.

I do take your point though. Good works are necessary.

In this, I must give Christians enormous credit for the various charities, fund raising, and hands on service work they do. It's inspiring.

Prayer is a cop out to make people feel better about themselves without actually having to do anything.

I like to think about working out but in the end nothing happens until i get off my ass and get to work.,

Prayers are good. There is power in prayer. But I would encourage anyone to donate what they can beyond just praying. If you pray and yet dont act with charity, your prayers are in vain and make no benefit to them or to you.

Tell you what, all you people get together and pray for a house to get built. I'll go build a house and we'll see who is warm and dry first.

I want to congratulate Japan. I'm sure they'll fully capitalize on this huge economic opportunity. This is the beginning of a new era of unprecedented prosperity for Japan.

Sorry bout that,

1. People of God, tend to pray first about what to do, then take action with what sort of help to send, Catholic Charities will kick in rather soon I would suspect.
2. People pray to find clarity, fine tuning what steps to take.
3. Its a shame when people of no faith muck up a perfectly good thread with useless banter.
4. Some people can not go to Japan and grab a shovel, and start digging, like some one suggested, either too old, or unable to drop everything and go, other people counting on them etc.
5. Should every able bodied man go to Japan right now?
6. From what I've seen, it looks like they will be needing bulldozers, not shovels.
7. This is perhaps the worst destruction on earth for the last 50 years.
8. These kinds of natural disasters are not every day occurrences, thank God, but they do happen, the main problem here is the nuclear power plants, they may melt down which would make things 1000 times worse than just what took place.
9. This could get real ugly folks, hold on to your ass folks.
10. And pray harder.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Granny says it gonna leak an' all dem Japanese people gonna be radiation contaminated...
:eek:
Japan struggles with nuclear reactors in wake of quake
March 12, 2011 - "We see the possibility of a meltdown," official says; Latest effort to cool reactor called "Hail Mary pass" by one expert; 3 hospital patients are reported to have tested positive for radiation exposure; A Japanese military unit specializing in radiation contamination is on site
A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors in northern Japan, an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told CNN Sunday. "There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, in a telephone interview from the agency's headquarters in Tokyo. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility." A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release.

Though Bannai said engineers have been unable to get close enough to the core to know what's going on, he based his conclusion on the fact that they measured radioactive isotopes in the air Saturday night. "What we have seen is only the slight indication from a monitoring post of cesium and iodine," he said. Since then, he said, plant officials have injected sea water and boron into the plant in an effort to cool its nuclear fuel and stop any reactions.

"We have some confidence, to some extent, to make the situation to be stable status," he said. "We actually have very good confidence that we will resolve this." A state of emergency has been declared for the plant and two other reactors at the same complex, which holds a total of six reactors, he said. Three are in a safe, shut-down state, he said. "The other two still have some cooling systems, but not enough capacity."

MORE

See also:

Top 10 most nuclear-dependent nations
12 Mar.`11 - Japan’s earthquake and tsunami has pushed 11 of its 52 nuclear reactors offline. If they don’t power up soon, Japan will be hard-pressed to provide power to its people, since the reactors provide 30 percent of its electricity. As dependent as Japan is on nuclear power, 12 nations are even more reliant it, according to the World Nuclear Association. Using 2007 data, here are the Top 10 most nuclear-dependent nations:
10. Hungary – 37 percent

With four nuclear reactors, Hungary derives about 37 percent of its electricity from nuclear power. It brought its first reactor online in 1982. One reason Hungary supports nuclear is its price. In 2007, according to the World Nuclear Association, the price was below 5 cents per kilowatt hour. Another is diversification. The former Soviet satellite is heavily dependent on Russian natural gas deliveries.

MORE

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. People of God, tend to pray first about what to do, then take action with what sort of help to send, Catholic Charities will kick in rather soon I would suspect.

People of intelligence don't need to pray about what to do they think or research a problem then solve it

2. People pray to find clarity, fine tuning what steps to take.

ibid.

3. Its a shame when people of no faith muck up a perfectly good thread with useless banter

Whether or not this is a perfectly good thread is debatable.
4. Some people can not go to Japan and grab a shovel, and start digging, like some one suggested, either too old, or unable to drop everything and go, other people counting on them etc.

No kidding. But sitting at home throwing prayers into the wind won't make a bit of difference. Prayer is just a self serving ritual designed to deceive you into believeing you actually did something and to make you feel good about yourself
5. Should every able bodied man go to Japan right now?

Of course not. People have their own responsibilities. You know that not everyone can up and fly to Japan to help. It is this feeling of helplessness that you assuage through prayer nothing more.
6. From what I've seen, it looks like they will be needing bulldozers, not shovels.

I guess metaphor is beyond you.

7. This is perhaps the worst destruction on earth for the last 50 years.

8. These kinds of natural disasters are not every day occurrences, thank God, but they do happen, the main problem here is the nuclear power plants, they may melt down which would make things 1000 times worse than just what took place.

If the man in the sky really cared about all those people......

9. This could get real ugly folks, hold on to your ass folks.
10. And pray harder.

It's already ugly so stop wasting your time praying. Since you can't go to japan maybe you should take that money you give to the church and send it to the Red Cross at least they actually help.

Sorry bout that,

1. Hey *Skull*, if I could pray for you and bestow upon you with that prayer eternal life and a cup over flowing, would you want me to not do it?:confused:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Hey *Skull*, if I could pray for you and bestow upon you with that prayer eternal life and a cup over flowing, would you want me to not do it?:confused:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is no such thing as eternal life. I'll fill my own cup and will not waste anything by overfilling it.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. Suit yourself *Skull*.
2. Not that I could pray and it happen, for your cup to be over flowing, just a thought thou.:cool:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Be wary of requests for wire transfers...
:confused:
Japan earthquake: Avoid fundraising scams
March 14, 2011 -- In the wake of Japan's quake crisis, many Americans are eager to help. But they must be aware of scammers seeking to take advantage of them.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation said they are already investigating one potential scheme where fraudsters misrepresent themselves as the British Red Cross and seek donations in the form of wire transfers. "I hadn't heard about this yet, but sadly this has happened previously," said Penny Sims, spokeswoman for the British Red Cross. "After a major disaster there are some unscrupulous people that try to use other people's misfortune to their own end."

So far this is the only scam the FBI has received complaints about, but "agents are looking for more of those types of appeals," said Jenny Shearer, a spokeswoman with the FBI. After the earthquake in Haiti, more than 350 complaints were filed about fraudulent activity, she said.

Avoid getting scammed

"Anytime something comes into your inbox asking for money, rather than answer, call your local Red Cross yourself," FBI's Shearer advised. "Anytime someone comes to you asking for money, you should be suspicious. "In my experience, the Red Cross has never emailed me, never," she added.

MORE

Sorry bout that,

1. Japan is being sent through the meat grinder, and I send over my payers to comfort those who've survived, and for the souls of those who are lost, this tragic event is shocking, and is sure that thousands upon thousands are lost.
2. Its my hearts desire, that things calm down for the people of Japan, and that the nuclear site gets settled, and secured.
3. Here in USA we have had a small impact from the tsunami that hit the coastal area, I pray for them as well, its a wonder more island nations like the Philippines were not wiped out, which I am thankful for.
4. For the good people of Japan my heart goes out to you, hang in there, helps on the way.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
At rest in the middle of each broad frame there's a vertical line with a bar in the middle; move it either way from the middle to see "before and after" of the tsunami/quake damage.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back