Posters for the jury

as someone once said...who wants to be judged by 12 people too stupid or lazy to get out of jury duty?

It ain't so easy anymore. The first few times were a cinch..but they are getting more hard up. They got me about 3 years ago. Was pretty interesting..I have to admit.

As much as I like to think I'm a good juror, In this case, I think I would be predisposed, although I sincerely believe I would give Zimmerman's defense a fair hearing.

I have studied this case too much. Best to know as little beforehand.

Although I do think Si Modo, you'd make a good juror. From what I have read you have not indicated to me any strong predisposition.

With the exception of High Gravity (and a few others I have not followed that much) - the rest of the list of folks I have interacted seem strongly biased one way or the other.
Yeah, it is best to know as little as possible before hearing the proceedings.

Unfortunately, I think it will be very difficult for the county to find anyone who knows little about this case.

I think jury selection is going to be a difficult task for them.
I don't know. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who do not pay any attention to the news, or have tuned their ears off when they may have heard the names on the news.

Finding those jurors might be a task, but they are out there.

For example, I could have been a great juror for the Casey Anthony trial. For some unknown reason, I followed not one bit of that story, not one bit. I just shut my ears when I heard the name. In fact, only when the jury verdict was released, did I even take note of the details and read the story of what went down. Don't know why that was so, as I am an insatiable news junky - but weirdly, Casey Anthony=ears off.

Well even if they do..alot changes when you get into the court room.

as someone once said...who wants to be judged by 12 people too stupid or lazy to get out of jury duty?
When I served, I thought it was an honor to do my civic duty.

I lost over a month of income, but I didn't begrudge it one bit.

It was an experience I will never forget, I learned a heck of a lot, and I felt good after, knowing I was helping to put a killer away for life.

Yeah, it is best to know as little as possible before hearing the proceedings.

Unfortunately, I think it will be very difficult for the county to find anyone who knows little about this case.

I think jury selection is going to be a difficult task for them.
I don't know. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who do not pay any attention to the news, or have tuned their ears off when they may have heard the names on the news.

Finding those jurors might be a task, but they are out there.

For example, I could have been a great juror for the Casey Anthony trial. For some unknown reason, I followed not one bit of that story, not one bit. I just shut my ears when I heard the name. In fact, only when the jury verdict was released, did I even take note of the details and read the story of what went down. Don't know why that was so, as I am an insatiable news junky - but weirdly, Casey Anthony=ears off.

Well even if they do..alot changes when you get into the court room.
To be sure.

Been reviewing a bit. I'm going to add Trajan to my list.

Emma
Paperview
Gawdag
Gadfy
Me ()
Uptownliving
Bigreb
Ravi
High_Gravity
Lockejaw
Trajan

Imagine what it would be like if that jury was sequestered :badgrin:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0NlNOI5LG0]12 Angry Men (1957) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a lot of participants in the Zimmerman/Martin threads.

If you had to pick a jury panel for the trial, and you are interested in justice, which posters would you want deliberating?

My partial list (in no particular order):

Emma
Paperview
Gawdag
Gadfy
Me :)D)
Uptownliving
Bigreb
Ravi
High_Gravity

That's my list so far.

Which posters do you think would be great on a jury for this case?

Sorry Si, you can't serve until the sock label comes off. :D

I was on a jury in September last year. What was really interesting was AFTER the trial. Several weeks later I was coming out of the dry cleaners and the defense attorney was entering. We chated about the case and it comes out that this guy had been in prison for burglery before. Basically the guy thought the jury would never listen to the "snitch's" testimony because in the criminal world they are nothing. Point is, the jury often doesn't hear the whole story, but rather what the defense attorney can't keep out or the prosecutor can't add.

If you had to pick a jury panel for the trial, and you are interested in justice, which posters would you want deliberating?

Emma
Paperview
Gawdag
Gadfy
Uptownliving
Bigreb
Ravi
High_Gravity

That's my list so far.

Sorry Si, you can't serve until the sock label comes off. :D
Don't you have some board war to attend to?

Funny - no one has mentioned the possibility of jury nullification yet on this thread.
I don't think I've ever really understood what that is.

Could you please explain?

Si, jury nullification is the concept of a jury, having been charged as to the law in a case, deciding that the application of the law to the facts of the case would be an injustice, and rendering a verdict that is contrary to what the law says, thus "nullifying" the law in that case. I'm not sure I see how George theorizes that could happen here, but perhaps he will enlighten us further.

Emma
Paperview
Gawdag
Gadfy
Uptownliving
Bigreb
Ravi
High_Gravity

That's my list so far.

I'd pick the people that waited for all the evidence to come out and have yet to make a judgement.

I began to avoid those moronic threads after people still bitched and moaned it was race based even after it came out he's hispanic.

a friend of mine sat on a murder trial......i never understood how they jury came to the verdict they did...to me it was obvious it was 1st degree murder...the guy left the party...went to his car and got his gun...returned and shot someone.....but the jury came back with 2nd degree murder....not premeditated....he never spoke of it....said they came in with the right verdict and it was done.... i would hate to sit on a murder trial....

my husband was on jury for a case where a guy shot a kid on halloween over being egged...the defendant accepted a last minute plea deal...lucky he did...cause the jury was gonna hang him...

Funny - no one has mentioned the possibility of jury nullification yet on this thread.
I don't think I've ever really understood what that is.

Could you please explain?

Si, jury nullification is the concept of a jury, having been charged as to the law in a case, deciding that the application of the law to the facts of the case would be an injustice, and rendering a verdict that is contrary to what the law says, thus "nullifying" the law in that case. I'm not sure I see how George theorizes that could happen here, but perhaps he will enlighten us further.
Thanks.

So, in this case a jury nullification could involve the jury throwing OUT the protections of the SYG law and find Zimmerman guilty? How is that any different than a lynch - a group of persons ignore the law so that they can exact the pound of flesh?

Can that really happen?

I am aware when juries ignore a law that would convict - and now I know that's what jury nullification is - but I am not aware of juries ignoring a law that would acquit.

Forum List

Back