POLL: Are there two sides to every story?

Are there two legitimate sides to the top stories?

• Total voters
Sometimes facts are facts and people seem to only want to argue. Take the Flat-Earth Society, for example..
Yeah, that's why I was careful in the issues I listed.

Personally, I think both "ends" have perfectly reasonable and understandable points for each of the issues.

The question is only where the net preponderance of evidence lies, and that falls ultimately to opinion.

What? The answer to the question "where is the preponderance of evidence" is necessarily an opinion?

I think not.

You did not include the issue of climate change in your list. Is that due to the fact that the preponderance of evidence is clearly on one side.....and is that evidence a matter of opinion?

Let's look at the biggest issues that receive attention today. Do you believe that, for each of the following issues, there are (at least) two sides to every story that deserve consideration, legitimacy and respectful debate?
  • Foreign Policy
  • War
  • Income Taxes
  • Macroeconomics
  • Business/Finance Regulation
  • Gay Rights
  • Civil Rights
  • Abortion
Or do you believe that the other side's opinion on any or all of the above issues does not deserve exposure?

And please expand on your poll response, thanks.

It would depend on the voice and the opinion.

Romney got mocked by the far left for claiming Russia was a big threat, yet his comments turned out to be true.

You have the other side like the far left to act like adults when doing debates, until there is no such thing as a real debate anymore.

So far, most say that both sides deserve to be heard, but not so much on whether the "other side" has legitimate points.

Interesting.

How can you declare "the other side has/doesn't have legitimate points" if you haven't heard what they are?

Sometimes facts are facts and people seem to only want to argue. Take the Flat-Earth Society, for example..

Personally, I think both "ends" have perfectly reasonable and understandable points for each of the issues.

The question is only where the net preponderance of evidence lies, and that falls ultimately to opinion.

Sorry Mac1958. I confused "stories" with "issues". Regarding issues I agree with your stance. But when I read "top stories," well I interpreted that as something reported by the media and/or special interest groups. A fair percentage of which I believe fall into the category of sensationalism playing on people's emotions.

So far, most say that both sides deserve to be heard, but not so much on whether the "other side" has legitimate points.

Interesting.

How can you declare "the other side has/doesn't have legitimate points" if you haven't heard what they are?
Read his description of YES in the answer section dipshit.
It says BOTH sides have legitimate points. That is not always the case, especially on the issues he specifically outlined.
In my opinion that makes a yes vote a patently stupid vote.

A lot of it depends on how much weight you put on one thing or another.
Does a person's right to service outweigh another's right to religious beliefs? Different people will answer differently.
My point is not which side is "right" - that will be subjective.

My question is whether the traditional arguments are legitimate, reasonable, worthy of honest discussion.

that depends on who and how they are being discussed

There's the liberal side...
And then the side supported with something other than emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

Ironic coming from the poster who wouldn't know honesty if it bit him on the ass.

Why don't you try sticking to the OP instead of constantly trying to derail it with your partisan drivel?

Let's look at the biggest issues that receive attention today. Do you believe that, for each of the following issues, there are (at least) two sides to every story that deserve consideration, legitimacy and respectful debate?
  • Foreign Policy
  • War
  • Income Taxes
  • Macroeconomics
  • Gay Rights
  • Civil Rights
  • Abortion
Or do you believe that the other side's opinion on any or all of the above issues does not deserve exposure?

Usually, there's far more than just two sides to things. Often times there's more than one way to solve a problem as well. In theory, there may be as many sides to an issue as there are people alive.

A lot of it depends on how much weight you put on one thing or another.
Does a person's right to service outweigh another's right to religious beliefs? Different people will answer differently.
My point is not which side is "right" - that will be subjective.

My question is whether the traditional arguments are legitimate, reasonable, worthy of honest discussion.

Hard to generalize.
Take man made global warming. The arguments for it run like this:
97% of scientists agree this is happening!
The Pope says it's happening.
Climate change deniers are big meanies who stomp kittens

The arguments against it run like this:
All the computer models that predicted global warming have been demonstraby wrong for 15 years.

Now, given those sets of arguments it ought to be a no-brainer, right? Yet the Left continues with its stupidity in repeating the same failed arguments. Are there 2 sides to this? Yes, but one has stocks of nuclear warheads and the other is throwing spitballs.

An argument only has validity if based on evidence, and the bubble-gum-pop view of opinion; 'everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours isn't any better than anyone else's' is just wrong.

I will not give someone who believes the Earth is flat the benefit of the doubt. The issue is settled, there is no debate just because someone 'believes' there is or 'feels' like their opinion should matter.

Example: People that claim Global Warming is not true. Sorry, the evidence has been settled fo the last 15 years among the PH.D's of the world. They can argue against it, just as Flat Earthers still argue with great vigor that the Earth is flat. But they are wrong.

Last edited:
  • Foreign Policy
  • War
  • Income Taxes
  • Macroeconomics
  • Gay Rights
  • Civil Rights
  • Abortion

On most issues there aren't two sides, so I had to vote no.

Having two sides requires those two sides to disagree, and actually do something constructive with it.

That rarely happens.

Forum List

Back