Poll: 51% agree with Obama's endorsement of gay marriage

51% of those polled. LOL

30 States have passed laws restricting same sex marriage. I'm thinking 30 out of 50 is a pretty big percentage, like 60%.

He messed up big time, remember when you're in that voting booth no one can see how you voted. :)

Yet, in every state where the people exercise a vote, gay marriage fails usually like it did in North Carolina in double digits. In Colorado which was expected to be a democrat stronghold, not only marriage, but even civil unions were voted down. In no state has the issue been passed by vote. Not one. In Iowa where gay marriage was imposed by activist judges, those judges were successfully voted out of office.

How can BOTH, that the public supports gay marriage, and consistently votes it down, be true? obama and Romney were neck and neck in swing states until obama voiced his support. Overnight Romney took the lead.

To continue to believe in the strength of this position is delusional. It flies in the face of reality, and uses bizarre "polls" to support a proposition that has clearly, clearly lost.

51% of those polled. LOL

30 States have passed laws restricting same sex marriage. I'm thinking 30 out of 50 is a pretty big percentage, like 60%.

He messed up big time, remember when you're in that voting booth no one can see how you voted. :)

May I correct you. Your information is slightly out of date. It isn't 30 states, it's 38 states. Six states have had same sex marriage imposed either by activist judges or an activist legislature.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/human-services/same-sex-marriage-overview.aspx

51% of those polled. LOL

May I correct you. Your information is slightly out of date. It isn't 30 states, it's 38 states. Six states have had same sex marriage imposed either by activist judges or an activist legislature.

how many states needed to be desegregated?

same diff...

Anybody think gay rights will be the focus of this election?

Of that 51%, many are not overwhemingly in favor. The 49% however, are not fence sitting.

51% of those polled. LOL

There has been a huge shift in public opinion since most of those laws were passed. NC isn't even representative because they had their little "we REALLY, REALLY hate gays" vote during a low turnout primary.

It remains to be seen whether this will hurt the President going into the fall. I'm thinking it won't, especially among the independents he is courting (who overwhelmingly support marriage equality).

51% of those polled. LOL

Yeah, public opinion hasn't changed significantly over the 10 years that several of those states voted.

51% of those polled. LOL

how many states needed to be desegregated?

same diff...

Not to mention, interracial marriage required a SCOTUS ruling...:eek:

Let's put this into perspective shall we? The SCOTUS ruled on Loving v Virginia in 1967. Interracial marriage didn't gain majority support until the 1990s.

iz9s4ieareep_q3xhp2edg.gif

Marriage equality for gays now has majority support across the country and yet we can only marry in a half dozen or so states. How bassackward...

It looks like Mitt is still behind the curve.

Poll: 51% agree with Obama's endorsement of gay marriage

More than half of Americans say they approve of President Obama's stance that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry legally, but 60% say that his shift in position will have no bearing on how they vote in the November election, according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup poll.

So what? That man would sell his own mother for a vote.

By standing up, and taking a political risky decision, and trying to give equal protection to people? I suggest that you look at Romney's flip-flop on same sex unions. He did a complete 180. If anyone is selling their soul, it's your man Mr. Etch-a-Sketch.

The ONLY people that find same sex marriage an important issue are gays who make up about 10% of the population. To everyone else, it is minor, useful only in conjunction with other issues. obama is losing among independents badly, by double digits and has been for over a year. Most people, except for gays, won't base their vote on this issue. They might use it to say "Enough! I've had all I can take of this guy". But no other reason. obama's support of same sex marriage is going to go under the same kind of consideration as his over hyping himself due to the Bin Laden raid, and saying that the military was fighting on his behalf. It will be judged, not as a measure of his leadership, but how obnoxious he's become.

Let's put this into perspective shall we? The SCOTUS ruled on Loving v Virginia in 1967. Interracial marriage didn't gain majority support until the 1990s.

iz9s4ieareep_q3xhp2edg.gif

Marriage equality for gays now has majority support across the country and yet we can only marry in a half dozen or so states. How bassackward...

Yep, leadership is about leading, not following.

Why is it morality must be forced upon us by the government? That seems like a religious issue and as such, not subject to government input. I don't think a single state that has had a one man, one woman marriage amendment has lost. Enjoy your polls, the ones that count have already spoken.

So what? That man would sell his own mother for a vote.

By standing up, and taking a political risky decision, and trying to give equal protection to people? I suggest that you look at Romney's flip-flop on same sex unions. He did a complete 180. If anyone is selling their soul, it's your man Mr. Etch-a-Sketch.

Romney has never changed and if you think he has, please post some evidence of that. obama on the other hand will say anything that will get him a vote.

In 1996, as a state senate candidate, Obama wrote and signed a survey declaring: “I favor legalizing same sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” When he ran for president, Obama denied support for gay marriage while endorsing civil unions, and circulated an obviously bushwah story disavowing the 1996 survey, claiming someone else had filled it out. (No matter that Obama signed it.) Liberal Democrats accepted his cover story—and his obvious hypocrisy—because they knew that supporting gay marriage would have been politically fatal to his 2008 prospects. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

Obama’s gay marriage stance: Do you believe he changed his mind? - Slate Magazine

It must have killed Slate to point out obama's shifting loyalties.

The ONLY people that find same sex marriage an important issue are gays who make up about 10% of the population. To everyone else, it is minor, useful only in conjunction with other issues. obama is losing among independents badly, by double digits and has been for over a year. Most people, except for gays, won't base their vote on this issue. They might use it to say "Enough! I've had all I can take of this guy". But no other reason. obama's support of same sex marriage is going to go under the same kind of consideration as his over hyping himself due to the Bin Laden raid, and saying that the military was fighting on his behalf. It will be judged, not as a measure of his leadership, but how obnoxious he's become.

Independents overwhelmingly approve of gay marriage so this isn't going to hurt the President with independents.

I would also argue that "they gheys" are NOT the only people that care about Marriage Equality. The President just proved he cares about it. Also, I happen to listen to progressive radio (yes, it still exists) and straight callers were saying how the President's support has energized them.

I thought his support for equality might hurt him, but I'm starting to re-evaluate and I'm thinking maybe not.

Forum List

Back