Politico Insiders: Rand Paul's foreign policy views are a serious liability

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
This is part of an "Insiders" series that Politico is doing on the large field of prez candidates.

Rand Paul 2016 Foreign policy views are a liability insiders say - POLITICO

A majority of early-state insiders believe it’s helpful for Rand Paul to differentiate himself from the Republican field through his views on foreign policy and national security. But over the course of the campaign, many say, those same positions will prove to be a serious liability.

This week’s survey of the POLITICO Caucus — a bipartisan group of the most influential operatives and activists in Iowa and New Hampshire —found that 61 percent of those polled overall said that the Kentucky senator’s anti-interventionist and libertarian-oriented positions are helping to distinguish him in a pack of nearly 20 candidates.

Yet that number dropped to 48 percent among Republican respondents alone.

In a reflection of the ideological distinctions between the Republican parties in New Hampshire and Iowa, New Hampshire Republicans were more inclined to look favorably on Paul’s “odd-man-out” status than Iowa Republicans: 60 percent of Granite Staters who responded said it’s helpful to break with the party; while only 37 percent of Hawkeye State Republicans said the same. In both states, many insiders said Paul’s stances likely preclude him from being the GOP nominee.

“It helps him stand out, but it also puts a low ceiling on his support. Not enough to win the nomination,” said a New Hampshire Republican, who like all members of the POLITICO Caucus was granted anonymity in order to speak freely...

Considerably more detail at the article, especially some insight as to what to expect of the Perry camapaign when he announces next month.

I strongly recommend that you read the article before commenting.

Your view: are Paul's FP views a liability, or not? Be specific.

This is part of an "Insiders" series that Politico is doing on the large field of prez candidates.

A majority of early-state insiders believe it’s helpful for Rand Paul to differentiate himself from the Republican field through his views on foreign policy and national security. But over the course of the campaign, many say, those same positions will prove to be a serious liability.

This week’s survey of the POLITICO Caucus — a bipartisan group of the most influential operatives and activists in Iowa and New Hampshire —found that 61 percent of those polled overall said that the Kentucky senator’s anti-interventionist and libertarian-oriented positions are helping to distinguish him in a pack of nearly 20 candidates.

In a reflection of the ideological distinctions between the Republican parties in New Hampshire and Iowa, New Hampshire Republicans were more inclined to look favorably on Paul’s “odd-man-out” status than Iowa Republicans: 60 percent of Granite Staters who responded said it’s helpful to break with the party; while only 37 percent of Hawkeye State Republicans said the same. In both states, many insiders said Paul’s stances likely preclude him from being the GOP nominee.

“It helps him stand out, but it also puts a low ceiling on his support. Not enough to win the nomination,” said a New Hampshire Republican, who like all members of the POLITICO Caucus was granted anonymity in order to speak freely...

Considerably more detail at the article, especially some insight as to what to expect of the Perry camapaign when he announces next month.

I know that Paul opposes the government monitoring its citizens every thought and step via the NSA. I also concede that this may lead to more terrorism, however, freedom has a price tag attached. After all, the safest thing to do is lock us all up in jail where everyone has equal rights. They all eat the same things, dress the same way, life under the same conditions, and it's gay pride day everyday, a true liberal utopia.

If more freedoms were given out, more Islamic attacks would take place. Although I in no way want this to happen, it's time for the American people to understand the truth. Hopefully there is still time to do something about it.

My biggest question about Paul is how he convinced himself that his position on war would not essentially disqualify him from the nomination.

Is there a more fundamental element of the current GOP than the neoconservative approach to this topic?

I think it's a shame, too, because overall his voice (even as VP) would have made an interesting addition to a presidential campaign.

My biggest question about Paul is how he convinced himself that his position on war would not essentially disqualify him from the nomination.

Is there a more fundamental element of the current GOP than the neoconservative approach to this topic?

I think it's a shame, too, because overall his voice (even as VP) would have made an interesting addition to a presidential campaign.

Like father, like son.

I don't know his angle. He is either trying to be a "voice" for people like himself within government, or he is delusional and thinks he can beat the neocon corporate darlings like Jeb and Hillary.

• Banned

I know that Paul opposes the government monitoring its citizens every thought and step via the NSA. I also concede that this may lead to more terrorism, however, freedom has a price tag attached. After all, the safest thing to do is lock us all up in jail where everyone has equal rights. They all eat the same things, dress the same way, life under the same conditions, and it's gay pride day everyday, a true liberal utopia.

If more freedoms were given out, more Islamic attacks would take place. Although I in no way want this to happen, it's time for the American people to understand the truth. Hopefully there is still time to do something about it.

Hey, that was a good, well-thought-out response. Well, the first part of it...

I agree with you. Freedom does indeed have a price-tag attached to it.

Where the boundary should be in this day and age, I doubt that anyone knows for sure.

Uhhhh, not into jail, myself....

• Banned

Indeed.

It seems to go against the very grain of one of the most standard of GOP platform planks, if you ask me.

It would seem that espousing a non-interventionist foreign policy is the kiss of death in today's America. This makes little sense when one analyzes the tremendous failures of America's decades long interventionist policies. The Neo-Con policy of foreign interventions seems to rule the day.

Last edited:
  • Banned
"Insiders" may not like him but us "Ousiders" like him just fine.

Rand Paul leads Hillary in Iowa polling RedState

"Oh no! Rand is leading our bought and paid for candidate, what can we do to destroy him?"

- Politico Insiders

Dude, that poll is TWO months old and already cold coffee. Did you not even read your own link?

Iowa has been competitive the entire time and I have been personally noting this every single time I do a big polling analysis.

Wake up.

:D

Like father, like son.

I don't know his angle. He is either trying to be a "voice" for people like himself within government, or he is delusional and thinks he can beat the neocon corporate darlings like Jeb and Hillary.

And yet, of all the candidates, at least until now, Rand Paul has absolutely done the best job of laying out a truly cogent argument for what he believes and what he wants. He wants to fundamentally change the GOP, it appears.

On a related front, it appears he is struggling with fundraising and as the field gets bigger and bigger, it's only going to become more difficult to raise the necessary $$$ in order to remain competitive.

And what of the Republican outsiders?

I have read plenty of Conservatives on this board that are questioning the legitimacy of continued warfare in other countries.

One thing I like about Paul is he is not afraid to speak an opinion that is outsiide of GOP doctrine

of course he will have problems. Less than 10% of the population can think for themselves and half of those are sellouts to some form of power seeking or brainwashing.

"Insiders" may not like him but us "Ousiders" like him just fine.

Rand Paul leads Hillary in Iowa polling RedState

"Oh no! Rand is leading our bought and paid for candidate, what can we do to destroy him?"

- Politico Insiders

Dude, that poll is TWO months old and already cold coffee. Did you not even read your own link?

Iowa has been competitive the entire time and I have been personally noting this every single time I do a big polling analysis.

Wake up.

:D
Feel free to post more current stats. I'm curious. Till then, we'll have to accept what is posted. You can't attack someone's data unless you present superior data.

Forum List

Back