Political leanings status check

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I'm never sure where I stand on the political spectrum(s) because my positions overall seem to be all over the place. I've taken that ideology thingy a few times that plots you on two dimensions (Social: libertarian/authoritarian and Economic: left/right) and I always end up pretty close to the center. dead-center for economic and usually slightly libertarian on the social. But I think that thing is bunk and I really don't think the questions they ask are particularly good. For example I don't see any reason why one's views on global warming should have anything to do with political ideology scores.

Anyway, here is a short list of some of the very general positions I hold.

- I support having a strong military for defense. I do not support using it to bully foreign nations or to invade countries that aren't a real threat.

- I oppose the Patriot Act

- I'm anti-abortion but pro-choice. (meaning I think it's morally reprehensible in the abstract, but I don't think it's any of my business if someone I don't know wants to have one)

- I'd vote to legalize marijuana.

- In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.

- I fully support the 2nd Amendment right of INDIVDUALS to bear arms.

- In general, I oppose government wealth redistribution unless there is a VERY compelling need for it. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered... and then some.

- I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.

So what does this say about my ideological leanings?

I'm never sure where I stand on the political spectrum(s) because my positions overall seem to be all over the place. I've taken that ideology thingy a few times that plots you on two dimensions (Social: libertarian/authoritarian and Economic: left/right) and I always end up pretty close to the center. dead-center for economic and usually slightly libertarian on the social. But I think that thing is bunk and I really don't think the questions they ask are particularly good. For example I don't see any reason why one's views on global warming should have anything to do with political ideology scores.

- I support having a strong military for defense. I do not support using it to bully foreign nations or to invade countries that aren't a real threat.

- I'm anti-abortion but pro-choice. (meaning I think it's morally reprehensible in the abstract, but I don't think it's any of my business if someone I don't know wants to have one)

- In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.

- In general, I oppose government wealth redistribution unless there is a VERY compelling need for it. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered... and then some.

- I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.

It explains why you and I dont seem to fight on political topics. That is how I feel too on those issues you talked about.

A pictoral discription of where I stand

plymco_pilgrim-albums-pilgrim-pictures-picture770-my-political-description.png

So am I/(we) right-wing, left-wing, conservative, liberal, moderate, etc...?

In my opinion you are an American. That means you dont go for party politics first, you go for what you believe to be right regardless of where a party may tell you to stand on an issue.

Not much more needed to describe you politically ;).

Now those far right/far left people....well we should all put them in a cage and sell the fight on pay per view. :)

I'm a bit off of your position
I believe we need only enough military to defend our coasts from invasion and repel aircraft from our airspace.
I'm strongly against welfare and socialized medicine.
I want social security phased out - no more "separate payments" and no one added to the eligible - recall that if you have paid into social security you are currently eligible for whatever you have already "earned"
The only way I would legalize drugs would be if it included a provision to make providing to minors a capital offense as my ultimate goal would be to decrease drug use in America by preventing childhood addicts.
I would make Abuse of Public Office capital treason.

I'm pretty much the same. I'm more liberal on some economic issues. But overall, I'm very pro-gun, pro-gay marriage, pro-defense, I'm some what of a warhawk when I feel like being one, anti-patriot act, pro-marijuana, I'm anti-welfare but pro social programs. I don't like just giving money away... but I'm in favor a programs meant to insure working people have certain rights. People who are all over the place with their ideas are generally better thinkers then those who just stick with one ideology.

I agree 100% here

I agree here

I'm anti-abortion - not for religious reasons although I am a Christian. I oppose it because I believe fetuses are human beings who deserve protection under our legal system

I probably would too

I think the need comes and goes. Scrap the ones we don't need anymore, write new ones to reflect current conditions

I'd vote to repeal the 2nd Amendment

Too complex for me to cover here - I agree about 80% with you

I think it is already protected. I know some have successfully argued in court that it is NOT an equal protection issue - but I disagree with them.

I believe in a balanced budget or even a small surplus budget (right now)

I believe campaign finance reform is THE most important issue facing us right now that NO ONE is talking about.

Last edited:

- I support having a strong military for defense. I do not support using it to bully foreign nations or to invade countries that aren't a real threat. YEP

- I oppose the Patriot Act YEP

- I'm anti-abortion but pro-choice. (meaning I think it's morally reprehensible in the abstract, but I don't think it's any of my business if someone I don't know wants to have one) RIGHT, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

- I'd vote to legalize marijuana. YEP

- In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered. YEP

- I fully support the 2nd Amendment right of INDIVDUALS to bear arms. YEP

- In general, I oppose government wealth redistribution unless there is a VERY compelling need for it. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered... and then some. YEP

- I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right. DISAGREE

Wow, you're a left wing lunatic.

It simply shows that you are not an ideologue.

A strong military? You bet. Now, especially. The world situation is tenuous at best.

Patriot Act? Probably the most fucked up thing ever imposed on this country by Bush Jr.

If you want to have an abortion? Go ahead.......that's between you and God, not you and I.

Legalize Marijuana? Go you one better on that. If it's a plant that has NOT been refined, it's a plant and therefore should not be classified as a drug. That also goes for cocoa leaves, as when they are chewed whole, there is no chance of addiction or harmful action due to the fact that the chlorophyll and other substances (the safety valves) are still in. If you refine it (aka cocaine), then it's a drug and should only be administered by a doctor. LEGALIZE ALL PLANTS!

2nd ammendment? Yep, but also, if you have a permit, then it should be open carry in all 50 states. If you're not a felon and therefore able to possess a gun, you should be able to strap it on and go walking down Main St. Montana (where I'm from) is like that.

Legalize gay marriage? Absolutely.

No Mani, you're not a loony lib, you're an Independent who sees the good in some things that have been restricted (but shouldn't), as well as see the bad things that have been allowed to grow on both sides.

Actually..........I'd call you balanced.

I agree with this and would like to add that we should use our military to make sure our borders are secure against terrorists and illegal aliens.

At the present time I think the Patriot Act is a good thing. Once the terrorist threat is proven to be a "dead issue" then the Patriot Act should be done away with.

I have very mixed feelings about abortion. My personal belief is that abortion should be illegal except for cases involving rape, incest or there is a true medical emergency with the mom carrying the fetus. On the other hand, I don't believe the government should be telling women what they can and can't do with their uterus. I believe if an abortion is required because of a crime, the government should pay for it. If it is because of a medical reason, insurance should pay for it. If it is for any other reason then I believe paying for the abortion is a personal responsibility. In my humble opinion, abortion for the simple reason of birth control is immoral.

I have to disagree here. I know that marijuana is a recreational drug but I think you need to draw the line someplace and this is as good a place as any to draw the line. If we legalize marijuana then what is the next thing we will legalize? Then what would be next? I don't believe the use of marijuana makes you a "bad" person but at the present time it does make you a criminal.

I agree with this.

I fully support this.

I oppose government wealth redistribution under all circumstances. I believe strongly in personal responsibility and making your own way. If you want everything that Joe Blow has then you need to work as hard as Joe Blow and be wise with your own assets.

I'm sorry. I disagree. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman only. I am not homophobic but I do not support the gay lifestyle. My personal belief is that it is immoral.

So what does this say about my ideological leanings? Feedback?

m

Last edited:
I believe campaign finance reform is THE most important issue facing us right now that NO ONE is talking about.
I suppose that having had it conveniently ignored (by our elected officials) for so long, despite being an issue for as long as I can remember that I have given up hope of EVER seeing it done. From a logical perspective the people in office are the ones who are best at taking advantage of the current campaign finance laws, thus it is not in their best interest to change anything, and hence nothing will ever get done as the people who replace them will then be the ones most adept at using the money.

Almost a catch 22 - anyone willing to support CFR won't be able to raise the funds to get elected in order to change things.

As for me

I am very supportive of a strong and advanced military for our own defense and the defense of our allies... That is one of the main things our govt is responsible for and should be spending on

I support portions of the patriot act and I do support no-warrant interception of possible enemy communications... I do not support the use of such interceptions for any other reason or to be used in any legal actions outside of the war/combat theater..

I am anti-abortion and support laws that would make abortion illegal for any circumstances other than the health of the mother, rape, and incest

I do not support the legalization of current illegal drugs... in fact I support harsher penalties for any level of criminal taking part in the illegal drug trade

I oppose laws that infringe on the personal rights of others to 'support' other individuals... I fully support personal freedoms but with that comes the stipulation that while you have a personal choice to do what you want, you best be prepared to pay the piper if it is illegal and you are caught.. but government should not have it's nose into what sexual position or perversity you choose... government should not have it's nose into what you can or cannot eat.. government should not punishment tax legal behavior... government should iterate that there are positives and negatives to treating people as equals and state that it does not exist to 'create' equal results by infringing on the personal freedoms of some to benefit others

I am pro civil unions but against the redefinition of the term marriage... I would even be for the government deeming the LEGAL term for all 'family couplings' as unions in the eyes of government in the sense of legal equality... but marriage is what it is

I fully support 2nd amendment rights but also support improving laws in cases of gun shows, etc.. and I fully support background checks for those purchasing firearms

I may add that I support the reduction of government in size and spending to get the government out of 'charity' work... also removing the government from much research and arts work... I support a simplified 'no loophole' single % rate tax code that would facilitate the size reduction of the IRS.. and I support congressional term limits

mani - In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.

Black Dog - I agree with this.

mani - I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.

Black Dog - I'm sorry. I disagree. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman only. I am not homophobic but I do not support the gay lifestyle. My personal belief is that it is immoral.

So you think that YOUR moral view of homosexuality is a VERY compelling reason to restrict the rights of homosexuals huh?

I am homophobic and I still have to disagree with you on that one.

mani - In general, I oppose any and all laws that restrict individual rights unless there is a VERY compelling need to do so. And I think 99.99% of those are already covered.

mani - I would vote to legalize gay marriage, however I do not buy into the argument that it's already a constitutional right.

Black Dog - I'm sorry. I disagree. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman only. I am not homophobic but I do not support the gay lifestyle. My personal belief is that it is immoral.

So you think that YOUR moral view of homosexuality is a VERY compelling reason to restrict the rights of homosexuals huh?

Nope. My view of homosexuality is my own opinion and I could care less about what somebody else thinks of that opinion. Funny how you always seem to be attacked if you state what you truly believe. Not much tolerance for opposing beliefs. The only opinion I am responsible for is my own. If I had to vote to allow gay marriage I would vote against it. Sorry. That is my belief.

Nope. My view of homosexuality is my own opinion and I could care less about what somebody else thinks of that opinion. Funny how you always seem to be attacked if you state what you truly believe. Not much tolerance for opposing beliefs. The only opinion I am responsible for is my own. If I had to vote to allow gay marriage I would vote against it. Sorry. That is my belief.
Typing yes would have sufficed.

I don't think it is a right to be married. That is in the religious realm and falls under the Church. A civil union and rights associated with that is of the state.

Forum List

Back