Political debate Mitt vs. obama

Oh have you re-opened the debate?

He made no legislative attempt for single payer, whether or not he is or ever 'was for it.' What more do you need to know? He campaigned on the basis of Obamacare, he won, he ultimately passed Obamacare.

So he campaigned on the moderate position, won, and then implemented the moderate position. What's so confusing about that?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAyan1fXCE&feature=player_embedded]Obama on single payer health insurance - YouTube[/ame]

1. That's from 2003.

2. It in no way negates what I said the end.

He was not campaigning to be president in 03 either so it was not a campaign promise. As a matter of fact he wasn't even campiganing in 07 until the last few months

Last edited:
he was not campaigning to be president in 03 either so it was not a campaign promise. As a matter of fact he wasn't even campiganing in 07 until the last few months

ummm... You're again reinforcing my position.

uhhhhh no

Uhhh... Yes. I said:
He made no legislative attempt for single payer, whether or not he is or ever 'was for it.' What more do you need to know? He campaigned on the basis of Obamacare, he won, he ultimately passed Obamacare.

So he campaigned on the moderate position, won, and then implemented the moderate position. What's so confusing about that?

Then you said:
he was not campaigning to be president in 03 either so it was not a campaign promise. As a matter of fact he wasn't even campiganing in 07 until the last few months

You agreed with me, and reinforced my position.

He ran on Obamacare. He won. He implemented Obamacare, what he said in 2003 notwithstanding, that's exactly what happened the end.

No, I mean it this time, the end.

1. That's from 2003.

2. It in no way negates what I said the end.

He was not campaigning to be president in 03 either so it was not a campaign promise. As a matter of fact he wasn't even campiganing in 07 until the last few months

You're confusing me Cuyo.

obama wanted single payer.

BigReb said this, you disagreed with him, he showed a video proving himself correct, then you say he wanted it but can't get it and campaigned on a lighter version of what he wants.

So................you agree with BigReb's original assertion, and with Obama's video-documented proof that Obama wanted single payer, correct?

BigReb said this, you disagreed with him, he showed a video proving himself correct, then you say he wanted it but can't get it and campaigned on a lighter version of what he wants.

So................you agree with BigReb's original assertion, and with Obama's video-documented proof that Obama wanted single payer, correct?

I'll stipulate that he 'wants' and/or 'wanted' single payer; But he did not campaign for POTUS on it, nor did he make any legislative attempt whatsoever to implement it upon becoming POTUS.

I never disagreed that he wanted it, past or present.

edit: OIC, The statement "because you're dead wrong."

I can see how that could be misconstrued. Dead wrong in his implication, not the rote factual nature of 'Obama wanted single payer.' To me, that implies that he ran on it, and/or attempted to implement it.

Last edited:
I have to agree with this. I don't see how Romney can take on Obama. Romney's going to have a really tough time getting the non-political junkies who have no clue about how different governments work, to understand the difference between Romneycare and Obamacare as a state vs. federal issue.

There's 70 million morons voting that aren't going to have a clue as to how they differ.

I'll stipulate that he 'wants' and/or 'wanted' single payer; But he did not campaign for POTUS on it, nor did he make any legislative attempt whatsoever to implement it upon becoming POTUS.

He wanted single payer, just because he could not get it in the bill does not mean he did not want it, he just did not have the support for it. But he wanted it.

He wanted single payer, just because he could not get it in the bill does not mean he did not want it, he just did not have the support for it. But he wanted it.

No, he made nigh an attempt to get it in the bill, nor was it mentioned on the campaign trail. That's a very significant distinction.

That's what i read from your previous posts, not sure where the confusion is.

Unless Cuyo is saying Obama was lying in the video, and I could respect that position.

Unless Cuyo is saying Obama was lying in the video, and I could respect that position.

I think you do get it, and that you're just trying to chap my ass. :evil:

But here's the distinction: To me, Reb's comments insinuate that he tried to get single payer but simply failed. In reality, no attempt was made, nor was it campaigned upon. The President behaved exactly as the candidate did; With Obamacare. Upon poring over countless hours of soundbytes one fleeting mention was discovered... And that was from 2003.

That's a lot different than a single payer advocate, who simply failed to achieve it.

I think you do get it, and that you're just trying to chap my ass. :evil:

But here's the distinction: To me, Reb's comments insinuate that he tried to get single payer but simply failed. In reality, no attempt was made, nor was it campaigned upon. The President behaved exactly as the candidate did; With Obamacare. Upon poring over countless hours of soundbytes one fleeting mention was discovered... And that was from 2003.

That's a lot different than a single payer advocate, who simply failed to achieve it.
He tried and failed He wanted it and failed.

Forum List

Back