Police State: Man Sentenced To 30 Days In Jail, Collecting Rainwater On His Property

Well, if Big Brother says he's an evil-doer, than you know it just has to be true.

When you said he was "collecting rainwater on his own property", you implied the rainwater was just falling from the sky into his reservoir.

That is not the case.

He is diverting a creek which provides water for other residents in the area. And that is an entirely different issue.

According to Oregon water laws, all water is publicly owned.

the city of Medford holds exclusive rights to “all core sources of water” in the Big Butte Creek watershed and its tributaries.

Harrington constructed dams to block a tributary to the Big Butte

they’d already given him probation once and required him to open the gates and he refilled his reservoirs and it was business as usual for him, so I think the court wanted -- it felt it needed -- to give a stiffer penalty to get Mr. Harrington’s attention.”

Wonderful... Now every time I use the bathroom, I'm going to think about how I'm defiling the Great State of Oregon's public property.

Harrington had gotten in trouble before for damming the river and they did not put him in jail.

He is a repeat offender:

According to Paul, Harrington entered a guilty plea at the time, received three years probation and was ordered to open up the water gates.

“A very short period of time following the expiration of his probation, he once again closed the gates and re-filled the reservoirs,” Paul told CNSNews.com. “So, this has been going on for some time and I think frankly the court felt that Mr. Harrington was not getting the message and decided that they’d already given him probation once and required him to open the gates and he refilled his reservoirs and it was business as usual for him, so I think the court wanted -- it felt it needed -- to give a stiffer penalty to get Mr. Harrington’s attention.”

Does Oregon have the Three Strikes law? They could just give him life!

Well, if Big Brother says he's an evil-doer, than you know it just has to be true.

When you said he was "collecting rainwater on his own property", you implied the rainwater was just falling from the sky into his reservoir.

That is not the case.

He is diverting a creek which provides water for other residents in the area. And that is an entirely different issue.

Arguing Big Brother's case for him ay? Figures.

Harrington had gotten in trouble before for damming the river and they did not put him in jail.

He is a repeat offender:

According to Paul, Harrington entered a guilty plea at the time, received three years probation and was ordered to open up the water gates.

“A very short period of time following the expiration of his probation, he once again closed the gates and re-filled the reservoirs,” Paul told CNSNews.com. “So, this has been going on for some time and I think frankly the court felt that Mr. Harrington was not getting the message and decided that they’d already given him probation once and required him to open the gates and he refilled his reservoirs and it was business as usual for him, so I think the court wanted -- it felt it needed -- to give a stiffer penalty to get Mr. Harrington’s attention.”

Does Oregon have the Three Strikes law? They could just give him life!

Or just 'Detain' him under the Patriot Act or NDAA. He's clearly a Terrorist.

Nope, can't feel sorry for this guy. What he did affected the rights of many others. And, he knew the law. He, just like anyone, can challenge the justness of the law.

Sucks to be him for the next 30 days.

This guy was not "collecting rainwater". It isn't like he was out there with a bunch of barrels catching rain as it fell from the sky.

That is not what he was arrested for.

He was diverting water from a designated water source for an entire town. So he's one giant dick.

Under Oregon law, all water is publicly owned. With some exceptions, cities, farmers, factory owners and other users must obtain a permit or water right from the Water Resources Department to use water from any source— whether it is underground, or from lakes or streams. Landowners with water flowing past, through, or under their property do not automatically have the right to use that water without a permit from the Department.

Water Resources Department Water Law

...is the fact that once his ponds are at full pool (can't hold any more water), the entire volume of the water the falls on his land during a day flows off his land to whatever place it would have gone had he not built the reservoirs.

Oregon’s water laws are based on the principle of prior appropriation. This means the first person to obtain a water right on a stream is the last to be shut off in times of low streamflows. In water-short times, the water right holder with the oldest date of priority can demand the water specified in their water right regardless of the needs of junior users. If there is a surplus beyond the needs of the senior right holder, the water right holder with the next oldest priority date can take as much as necessary to satisfy needs under their right and so on down the line until there is no surplus or until all rights are satisfied. The date of application for a permit to use water usually becomes the priority date of the right.

East of the Mississippi, the riparian doctrine usually applies. Under the riparian doctrine, only landowners with water flowing through their property have claims to the water. The prior appropriation doctrine is the basis of water law for most of the states west of the Mississippi River. In Oregon, the prior appropriation doctrine has been law since February 24, 1909, when passage of the first unified water code introduced state control over the right to use water. Before then, water users had to depend on themselves or local courts to defend their rights to water.

An example of prior appropriation at work
Prior appropriation ensures that the first water user to obtain water rights has first access to water in times of shortage. If a “downstream” landowner has the earlier priority date (they initiated their water right in 1910) the “upstream” landowner may have to let the water pass unused to meet the needs of the senior, downstream water right holder.

Water Resources Department Oregon Water Laws

Arguing Big Brother's case for him ay? Figures.

Defending a thief, eh? Figures.

Funny & ironic. You say that while defending the biggest thief on this Planet. Yup, Big Brother knows what's best for ya. You just keep on believing that. I know how much that comforts you Goose Steppers.

See my previous post, idiot. You are speaking out of your ass.

The man is violating the water rights of others.

You are a faux libertarian, you know that?

...is the fact that once his ponds are at full pool (can't hold any more water), the entire volume of the water the falls on his land during a day flows off his land to whatever place it would have gone had he not built the reservoirs.

If enough water fell from the sky to fill his reservoirs, why would he divert the creek?

He wouldn't.

So your logic fails.

high places with limited water have a lot of regulations on collections

Big Brother wants control of rain too. Go figure. :(

I know this may go over some of your heads but I believe the issue is The Diversion Of Ground Water.

On a larger scale this same issue is fought over in many places. It seems simple that the man should be within his rights but there is more to it than that.

In some ways rain water run off is the property of the commons. I'm not saying that in this situation the man is wrong. I am saying that what he is doing MAY be illegal if his water diversion affects someone else's access to ground water.

It is not as open and shut as it could be seen.

Last edited:
high places with limited water have a lot of regulations on collections

I know this may go over some of your heads but I believe the issue is The Diversion Of Ground Water.

On a larger scale this same issue is fought over in many places. It seems simple that the man should be within his rights but there is more to it than that.

In some ways rain water run off is the property of the commons. I'm not saying that in this situation the man is wrong. I am saying that what he is doing MAY be illegal if his water diversion affects someone else's access to ground water.

Isn't rainwater run off part of a watershed?

Isn't rainwater run off part of a watershed?

Sometimes.

It is complicated. A lot has to do with use up and down stream. Sometimes it has to do with conservation of natural resources..like fish and wildlife. Sometimes it has to do with agriculture. Sometimes the preservation of wetlands. There is a lot to it.

Maybe it's time for Big Brother to go all Eminent Domain on his ass? Boy, i bet all the Goose Steppers on this thread would just love that. Wetting their panties with excitement just thinking about it. So many Authority-Worshippers in this country. What a shame.

Forum List

Back