Police state has new weapon

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr.Fitnah, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    Dade Cops Waiting To Get Crime Fighting Drone Airborne

MIAMI (CBS4) – Miami-Dade’s newest crime fighting tool is a literal ‘eye in the sky’.
    The Micro Air Vehicle, or MAV for short, is a small radio controlled drone aircraft equipped with a portable camera system. Miami-Dade Sgt. Andrew Cohen said drone will be used to gather real time information in situations which may be too dangerous for officers.

“If an SRT (Special Response Team) has to go into an area they don’t know what’s there, we don’t know what is in the backyard,” said Cohen, “They want to know if there are dogs in the backyard, if there is a shed, things that could be a threat to us.”
    The MAV is used by the military to scan dangerous areas before troops are sent in. Miami-Dade police used a $50,000 grant to buy one, but not everyone is happy with the purchase.
    “What happens when they fly over backyards and they see something without a warrant that they want to take against,” said ACLU Executive Director Howard Simon.
    Police admit the MAV, if flown low enough, has the ability to look into people’s home, but that is not its intended purpose.
    “If this thing is deployed, it’s only going to be used in situations where we already have an ongoing police scene,” said Cohen. “They are going to know we are there because we will have tactical teams, SRT teams, we’re going to have a perimeter, it’s going to be secure.”
    Meanwhile the police department is awaiting approval from the FAA before they can use the MAV. They have submitted the application, but the approval process can take up to six months.

xxxxx

So if you use force to disable one of these intruders is it like killing a cop?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    GREAT. The more and better tools we can give our LEO's in order to fight crime the better off we will be. Eyes in the sky are always a help.

I would assume that using force against the MAV would be treated like damaging a police cruiser or other property.

3. Cmdr Sheppard

Cmdr Sheppard BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Wow.....

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Pay attention folks. This nitwit and his like will be at the voting booth in 2012.
    Get out while you still have "permission"

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    [​IMG]

6. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Atlas Shrugged.

7. Flagwavrusa

Flagwavrusa "Stop complainin!"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I feel so much safer knowing the police are able to peep into my windows anytime they want without my knowing. Not that they would ever do such a thing, because law enforcement is only here to help after all. But if I ever find one of those machines landed in my yard I think it might have a little accident.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,822
    I bet whole flocks of these will be hovering over polling places during elections.

9. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Our tax dollars at work.

How anyone has any faith in government at any level is amazing to me.

10. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It's not a matter of feeling safer. That's not what the police are supposed to be there for. I's a matter of helping them catch criminals and keeping the officers safe while they do it. If you read the OP, this is mainly for aerial observation around places where SWAT/SRT Teams are going to be working. It's a tool to give them as much information as possible and to keep THEM safe while they're doing their job.

My PERSONAL safety comes from the 2 handguns, the bladed weapons, the shotgun, and several other things I have stored throughout my apartment; and the selection of things I carry on my person most of the time that I walk out of my apartment. It doesn't come from and is not affected by the presence or lack thereof by the Police.