Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home. Onus on you to prove you are sober

Discussion in 'Canada' started by shockedcanadian, Jan 13, 2019.

1. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701
    A new law says that 2 hours AFTER you've been driving. Police can show up at your home, force you to do a breathalizer and charge you with drunk driving.

Had a long day at work in the Summer and headed home for a nice BBQ and a beer? You better hope you don't drink too much or you could be charged with drunk driving, AFTER you've gone home and are unwinding, even if you didn't have a drop of alcohol in your system when you were on the road.

I don't drink much at all, so this doesn't effect me. This, however, is the microcosm of more to come.

Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home

It may sound unbelievable, but Canada’s revised laws on impaired driving could see police demand breath samples from people in bars, restaurants, or even at home. And if you say no, you could be arrested, face a criminal record, ordered to pay a fine, and subjected to a driving suspension.

You could be in violation of the impaired driving laws even two hours after you’ve been driving. Now, the onus is on drivers to prove they weren’t impaired when they were on the road.

2. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,751
    Wonder where they got the idea from, oh yeah the US...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. shockedcanadian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701

Is this true? Which states?

When America is adopting it, that's scary. If it were an immediate situation, I can understand, not two hours after, and, the onus shouldn't be on the driver to prove anything, that's the Crowns job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,751
    In the US if you don't take the test you can be punished more and it is immediate without trial or seeing a judge which is a violation of due process, just like a cop can pull you over take your money and claim you were using it for a drug deal and take your money/possessions away without trial, another violation of due process...Since the 1980's under Reagan we have seen the illegal laws and possession laws undermine the Constitution in the US, all for the police state.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,549
    That's crazy! I wouldn't answer the door, fuck 'em.

6. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,751
    I don't answer the cops in the US when they want to knock and talk...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,647
    Wait so let me get all this straight - You are saying that the police can hear about you driving (by an eye witness I'm guessing), for whom was possibly seeing your vehicle swaying back and forth in the road, and for whom next turns your tag in, and the Police can show up to your residence, ask you if you were the one driving hours earlier, and then subject you to the breathlizer and skills test at your home ???

Everybody better start driving smart cars, golf carts, riding mowers with roll cage installed, bycycles (3 wheels of course), and last one of all is to use U-BER at your own discretion (beware of serial killers).

LOL.

8. shockedcanadian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701

Actually no, they can come to your door 2 hours later, and it doesn't have to be based on anything credible. Just, "were you driving earlier today?" Oh ok, take this breathalizer test sir, or come with us.

I'm all for Law and Order, but knowing what I know about Canada, this is going to cause harm and trouble for some innocent people for a variety of nefarious reasons I'm sure.

9. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,751
    In the US you don't have to be driving to get a DUI charge. If you are drunk and want to sleep it off in your car the cops can claim you were in control of the vehicle and you were drunk, even if you are asleep in the back seat.

10. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    It is good that such a law has been passed. The certain backlash will not only see such a Draconian action reversed, it will also serve as a wake up call to voters and law makers to be more reasonable.
    Otherwise, the future is dim indeed.
    What is happening in Canada?

• Winner Winner x 1