Police Arrest Young Black Politician For Distributing Voting Rights Leaflets

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA—The stars of North Carolina’s Moral Mondaysmovement took the stage on Labor Day at Charlotte’s Marshall Park to condemn the state’s record on voter suppression and racial profiling, and urge the community to organize and turn out at the polls this November. Just a few hundred feet away, police cuffed and arrested local LGBT activist and former State Senate candidate Ty Turner as he was putting voting rights information on parked cars.

“They said they would charge me for distributing literature,” Turner told ThinkProgress when he was released a few hours later. “I asked [the policeman] for the ordinance number [being violated], because they can’t put handcuffs on you if they cannot tell you why they’re detaining you. I said, ‘Show me where it’s illegal to do this.’ But he would not do it. The officer got mad and grabbed me. Then he told me that I was resisting arrest!”

There is a local ordinance prohibiting leafleting on cars. But according to local activist Casey Throneburg, who also filmed the arrest, it is almost never enforced, and “certainly not with handcuffs.”

Instead of transporting Turner directly to the Mecklenburg County jail, which sits just a few blocks from Marshall Park, he said they took him first to an empty parking lot behind the highway. “They took me to three different spots other than the jail,” he said. “They knew they were in the wrong.”

This happened as the Moral Mondays leaders lead a small but enthusiastic crowd in prayer, song and chants of “Forward together, not one step back!” and “Fired up, ready to vote!” When they learned what had happened to Turner, they urged the rally attendees to join them on a march to the jailhouse to demand his release. About 30 people did so, walking silently behind the clergy and friends of Turner.

On arrival, Deputy Brown at the front desk said Turner had not yet arrived, but when he did he would be fingerprinted and photographed before being released.

As the crowd waited, Reverend Dr. William Barber—the founder of Moral Mondays and President of the North Carolina NAACP—said the incident illustrated the urgent need to get out the vote in the African American community.

“Police are hired by police chiefs, who are hired by people that are elected,” he said. He then turned to Turner’s friends, who were crying. “I want you to be angry. Rosa Parks got angry and she changed the world. Take this incident and turn it into power. Anyone who says they’re upset about this profiling of black men, ask them if they’re registered to vote. That’s how we change this system.”

Dr. Barber added that Turner’s arrest reminded him of earlier, darker times in the American South. “The arrogance to come into our rally and think they can snatch up one of our boys and we’re going to be quiet about it! That day is so old we can’t even remember it.”

Other rally participants said they were reminded of more recent dark times, including the killing of Jonathan Ferrell by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police last year. Ferrell, a 24 year old former college football player, was unarmed when police shot him 10 times.

As the crowd waited for Turner’s release Monday night, local Reverend Kojo Nantambu put in a phone call to the President of the National NAACP, who in turn called the police department demanding Turner’s release. Shortly after, the police told the crowd they would be releasing Turner with a citation, but he would not be processed at the jail. A squad car then pulled up outside the jail, and Turner emerged, limping slightly and sweating profusely. The crowd cheered when they saw him and ran to comfort him.

More: Police Arrest Young Black Politician For Distributing Voting Rights Leaflets

Further proof that everyone should know their voting rights - especially blacks and other minorities.

Last edited:
Oh well. Next time listen to the police :dunno:

Just curious, why not mention he was gay. You would think that would prove how awful the cops were....black gay man must obey law, the humanity

He said, "Show me where it's illegal to do this."

Was he expecting them to have a printed copy of the ordinance? Or memorize the numbers?

The crowd cheered when they saw him and ran to comfort him.

OMG what a bunch of fucking pussies.

BTW the little dipshit is wrong. The police can detain you without arresting you, including putting you in handcuffs. They are ONLY required to tell you what the charges are if they ARREST you.

I don't know why they would choose first to arrest him rather than just tell him to stop. but then, i suspect there is more to the story than what we know.

and frankly, it doesn't matter if he was distributing voter information or chinese menus, it was illegal to put the fliers on the cars.

Was he expecting them to have a printed copy of the ordinance? Or memorize the numbers?
He doesn't have to remember it. He needs to click a button on his radio and ask for an ordinance number for the alleged offense. Being detained by government agents while participating in constitutionally guaranteed rights is a serious offense committed by the government agent, the police. The should be required to know exactly what law allows them to deny a persons constitutional rights.

I don't know why they would choose first to arrest him rather than just tell him to stop. but then, i suspect there is more to the story than what we know.

and frankly, it doesn't matter if he was distributing voter information or chinese menus, it was illegal to put the fliers on the cars.

frankly, it's clear from reading the story that he KNEW it was illegal to put the fliers on the cars and chose to do it anyway and then cried "what did I do ?" when he got arrested

That's what makes me laugh about these so called civil rights activists when they compare themselves to say Rosa Parks.

Rosa KNEW what she did was illegal, and so when the police came she smiled , held out her arms and went to jail. She didn't fight the police, she didn't scream police racism, or police brutality. She went to jail for what she believed was rights.

These pussies aren't a pimple on Rosa's black ass.

He doesn't have to remember it. He needs to click a button on his radio and ask for an ordinance number for the alleged offense. Being detained by government agents while participating in constitutionally guaranteed rights is a serious offense committed by the government agent, the police. The should be required to know exactly what law allows them to deny a persons constitutional rights.

Again, the police are NOT required to tell you of any charges until you are ARRESTED, not detained.They detained him for his and their own safety THEN that turned into an arrest because of the guy's attitude.

OK, thanks.

Again, the police are NOT required to tell you of any charges until you are ARRESTED, not detained.They detained him for his and their own safety THEN that turned into an arrest because of the guy's attitude.

What is the difference between detained and arrested? I'm really curious, because it seems like very much the same thing, except that an arrest is when you're actually charged.

OK, thanks.

What is the difference between detained and arrested? I'm really curious, because it seems like very much the same thing, except that an arrest is when you're actually charged.
The way I understand it...if the police detain you, you can leave at any time if you don't want to cooperate any more...if they want to keep you from leaving, that's when they have to arrest you.

See, this is part of the problems with having a police state. A cop can be an azzhole bully and show you his attitude, it you have an attitude or the cop just doesn't like your attitude, he has the power to mess with you and make up trumped of charges. He can lie and get away with it. Why can't you give a cop an attitude? Why can't you let the cop know you think he or she is an ass and a bully and should be cutting grass in the park instead of wearing a badge?

The way I understand it...if the police detain you, you can leave at any time if you don't want to cooperate any more...if they want to keep you from leaving, that's when they have to arrest you.

This guy was put in handcuffs. He can't just leave, right? Sounds like an arrest.

OK, thanks.

Essentially detained means the police can hold you to investigate if they have reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. SCOTUS has ruled that 20 minutes is the reasonable amount of time that they can detain you while they investigate.

Whereas an arrest occurs once reasonable suspicion becomes reasonable cause.

For instance. You are driving down the road and the cops see you swerve. They have reasonable suspicion to detain you and see if you're under the influence They administer a sobriety test and you fail.They now have reasonable cause to affect an arrest.

It's important to know the difference between the two because your rights are different in each situation.

From the OP:

There is a local ordinance prohibiting leafleting on cars. But according to local activist Casey Throneburg, who also filmed the arrest, it is almost never enforced, and “certainly not with handcuffs.”

This guy was put in handcuffs. He can't just leave, right? Sounds like an arrest.
You can be detained in hand cuffs while a crime is being investigated. That is for the police persons safety and the person being detained. That is why you have a right to know why you are being investigated. What is the crime being investigated?

See, this is part of the problems with having a police state. A cop can be an azzhole bully and show you his attitude, it you have an attitude or the cop just doesn't like your attitude, he has the power to mess with you and make up trumped of charges. He can lie and get away with it. Why can't you give a cop an attitude? Why can't you let the cop know you think he or she is an ass and a bully and should be cutting grass in the park instead of wearing a badge?

cops do not have the authority to make up charges. Good Lord

Oh, and you absolutely have the right to tell a cop anything you want. You can tell him that you fucked his sister , you can tell him that he should be working at McDonalds, you can tell him anything you want. but it would be stupid, because cops have great latitude in who they arrest and who they don't. The kid in the OP of course he didn't have to be arrested. But if you're an asshole, I'm an asshole. That was my rule as an MP.

Essentially detained means the police can hold you to investigate if they have reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. SCOTUS has ruled that 20 minutes is the reasonable amount of time that they can detain you while they investigate.

For instance. You are driving down the road and the cops see you swerve. They have reasonable suspicion to detain you and see if you're under the influence They administer a sobriety test and you fail.They now have reasonable cause to affect an arrest.

It's important to know the difference between the two because your rights are different in each situation.

You can be detained in hand cuffs while a crime is being investigated. That is for the police persons safety and the person being detained. That is why you have a right to know why you are being investigated. What is the crime being investigated?

Then you can NOT simply leave when you're being detained.

Then you can NOT simply leave when you're being detained.

correct, you can NOT leave when being detained.

Forum List

Back