Point Roberts

Better still
How about. . . no? Counter proposal, we just take the whole thing. Canada, Mexico, etc. We'll make them all states in the union Empire.

iu

Best Part of the Canadian Invasion …​

Didn't Canada burn the White House down in eighteen something?
Yeah, they sometimes like to think that, but no. . . those were British troops.

The Canadians are, and always have been spineless pukes.

They didn't really gain independence til the 20th century, and have never had the ability to act independently of Britain in their entire history.

Even now, should the US seriously consider a plan to invade Canada, I'm pretty sure the crown would object.

War Plan Red​

WPR-Map_p72-big.png

The quirky history behind the secret, full-scale invasion that the United States once planned for Canada, and vice versa.

"Kevin Lippert: I was having a conversation with one of [Princeton Architectural Press’s] Canadian distributors, a woman whose job is to sell our books in Canada, and she goes, “Are you working on anything that will be of interest to Canadians?’ I say, “I don’t know, what interests Canadians?” She says something like, “Canadians are very worried about what Americans are thinking of them.”

Then, two days later, I saw an article online where somebody had asked Obama if America had any plans to invade Canada and he laughed it off. But the article added that in the 1930s the United States did have a very detailed plan to invade Canada called “War Plan Red.” That information was shocking and there was something funny about the fact that that was shocking—like, when we think Canada, we don’t care enough to have a plan to invade them. We liked Iraq enough to invade them, but we don’t like Canada enough, it’s not as interesting.

So I dug into that history and it turns out that, like in many things, Canada was 10 years ahead of us and had developed their own plan to invade the United States in 1920. Now we’re such good neighbors and good friends, the idea seems kind of laughable. In fact, several people thought the book was a parody, that I had cooked the whole thing up and sort of forged these so-called authentic historic documents."

<snip>

DS1-Map_p66-big1.png

Canada’s Defense Scheme No. 1

". . TMN: What about the Canadian plan? Was it just as detailed?

Kevin: The two plans were really kind of the same plan. I’d say that they’re almost mirror images, so maybe we each identified the soft spots along the border. But if you take the Canadian plan, which was drawn up first, and flip it over, it’s more or less the American plan.

The guy who drew it up was a WWI vet and he said it was an early version of the blitzkreig: you would invade quickly, throw the enemy off guard, and retreat blowing up bridges and roads, giving the British time to sail to the rescue of the Canadians.

The American plan was a bit the same: there would be flying columns that would attack the same cities. I’m not a military strategist but it’s interesting that the two plans are really the same, at least in terms of troop movements and overall strategy, which is that the best defense is a good offense.

TMN: I’m curious how much planning went into both plans and how likely it was that both countries thought they’d need to use them?

Kevin: Allegedly, the US plan was drawn up in two hours; I read this in my research but have no idea whether that’s true or not. The Canadian plan was a much longer process. The Canadians went on an espionage mission. They loaded into Model-Ts and grabbed Kodak brownie cameras and made notes. They went through Vermont and they made all these observations that are quite hilarious. Basically, that Vermonters are fat and lazy, they like to gossip and take a lot of breaks, and people in Burlington are more European than the rest.

The Canadians did this for many months, I think maybe as much as a year, but they also had a bigger hurdle and they were aware of that, so there was more planning. The US had kind of a hastily sketched-out plan but the US had at that point, again, thought it had the huge military advantage. . . "

BusterBrownModelT_p64.jpeg

Canadian James Sutherland Brown and his espionage cohorts scout upstate New York for potential invasion

49th Parallel.
What do the people of Point Roberts wish?
What is your agenda?
There's also Pheasant Island between France and Spain. Because they can't agree on who owns it, 6 months of the year the border moves so France owns it, and the border moves the other way for 6 months of the year so Spain owns it.

Forum List

Back