Point Of Order About Punctuation

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Where does the period go?

If Kevin writes "I told Susie 'Take the trash out before I leave.'." and I quote him in full, how is that new sentence punctuated? I claim it is done like this:

"Kevin wrote [that he had] told Susie 'Take the trash out before I leave.'."

Now, if Kevin does not use quotes, his sentence becomes:

I told Susie to take the trash out before I leave.

And if I quote that sentence, I claim this is how it should be punctuated:

Kevin wrote "I told Susie to take the trash out before I leave.".

What I am aiming at with this Op is, where does the final period go? Inside the quote or outside?

41q2in5fJnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Last edited:
The following example contrasts the American style, the British style, and our recommended literary and technical styles using a partial quote from the above example. Note that in the British and technical style, it is clear that we did not quote the entire sentence.

* American: Bill said, "I just got back."
* British: Bill said, 'I just got back'.
* NIVA Literary: Bill said, "I just got back."
* NIVA Technical: Bill said, "I just got back".

You will often find that in technical writing the American style can cause confusion.

* American: Give the file the extension ".TXT."
* British: Give the file the extension '.TXT'.
* NIVA Literary: Give the file the extension ".TXT."
* NIVA Technical: Give the file the extension ".TXT".

The comma is used and the quote is capitalized even when the quotation marks are absent.

Writer's Block - Writing Tips - Placement of Punctuation and Quotation Marks

I think your example amounts to:

NIVA Technical: Bill said, "I just got back".

NIVA Technical: Kevin wrote, "Bill said, 'I just got back' ".

The following example contrasts the American style, the British style, and our recommended literary and technical styles using a partial quote from the above example. Note that in the British and technical style, it is clear that we did not quote the entire sentence.

You will often find that in technical writing the American style can cause confusion.

The comma is used and the quote is capitalized even when the quotation marks are absent.

I liked Liability's answer better.

Where does the period go?

If Kevin writes "I told Susie 'Take the trash out before I leave.'." and I quote him in full, how is that new sentence punctuated? I claim it is done like this:

"Kevin wrote [that he had] told Susie 'Take the trash out before I leave.'."

Now, if Kevin does not use quotes, his sentence becomes:

I told Susie to take the trash out before I leave.

And if I quote that sentence, I claim this is how it should be punctuated:

Kevin wrote "I told Susie to take the trash out before I leave.".

What I am aiming at with this Op is, where does the final period go? Inside the quote or outside?

41q2in5fJnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kevin's exact words, if I recall, were: 'I told Susie "Take the trash out before I leave.'"

The period goes inside the nested quote, since it's part of the quotation. You don't need to punctuate the sentence containing the punctuation because that would be pointless and wasteful, seeing as it ends along with the quotation.

Last edited:

My style looks most like NIVA Literary, although I use logical quotations as opposed to using typesetters' quotations as is common in America.

Forum List

Back