Plowing not Drilling

I don't think our society would ever start razing houses and using the material to fill mines.

I surely realize that - this is a bit tongue in cheek - but that doesn't make it a bad idea. Thought exercises are sometimes helpful.

That depends on how you view your use of the earth that really belongs to all. It could be you are just stupid or greedy or destroying the earth for the future. It could be all of these things - uses big words and concepts you don't understand is not an answer.

Keep popping those qualoods....makes reality tolerable for loons like you.

Tearing up perfectly good houses would be a colossal waste. And how exactly do you get people to give up their houses?

There are benefits to changing our development patterns, yes. But you don't need more government, you need less.

* Local building codes will almost always have parking lot minimums. Thus we see so many parking lots that waste huge amounts of space and are rarely filled. Abolish these laws, and if a store doesn't have enough parking they will go bankrupt! As development grows outward, the older parking lots ought to be filling in with denser development (and in some cases you'll see this, but it's still limited)

* Eliminate property taxes based on land value. If you're going to have property taxes, base them on square footage. That way, single-story development doesn't have a tax advantage. Builders can also build things that aren't so ugly--currently, if you build a nice dignified building it's worth more so it gets taxed more.

* Auction off government roads. Interstates would be the easiest. Let market rates prevail, and traffic jams will disappear overnight. Different sections of roads will be priced higher or lower depending on demand and time of day.

Now imagine what happens once people are faced with a toll as soon as they leave their subdivision. Suddenly, living in a community laid out the old fashioned way makes sense--you have shops and whatnot at the center, within walking distance for many people.

Existing master planned communities can be rehabbed too, believe it or not. Many will have a community center, golf course, etc. nearby. Existing malls can be rehabbed, in fact there is an architectural firm I've seen somewhere on the web that specializes in that. They add apartments on top of the shops, then the parking lot can eventually fill in with houses. Parking garages can compensate for lost parking, although it's not always necessary, as you still have parallel parking, just like towns built before WWII.

Once you give developers incentive to build up instead of out, then mass transit becomes more feasible. Private bus companies can pick people up at one town center and drop them off at another. Road companies can reserve lanes for busses, too. This is critical, because the main complaint of busses vs. trains is, you get stuck in traffic.

The only exception in cigarettes, which are taxed specifically to prevent people from picking up the habit.

Silly boy.

Taxing cigarettes is more about generating revenue for the States than anything else. Right now I pay about $3.00 taxes on a pack of butts.

In fact, the state of Maine is concerned about the fact that tobacco revenues are dropping (see: Maine:Cigarette tax shortfall burning hole in budget)

If every smoker in Maine stopped paying taxes on tobacco, the government would lose about $160 million dollars a YEAR.

In a state with a total budget of about $6.3 billion, that's not an insignificant revenue source ...taxes on tobacco account for about about 2.5% of the state's total revenues.

Smoking has been in decline in the United States since that tax was put in place. Such policies work very well.

The prevailence of smoking had been declining for years before the taxing of smokes started to become so predatory.

Last edited:
... Right now I pay about $3.00 taxes on a pack of butts ...

The difference between cigarette taxes and dirty fuel taxes is the victim. The cigarette tax is designed to protect you from yourself. I do not think government should be in this business, and I oppose cigarette taxes. However, they do reduce smoking rates, as intended. The inverse correlation between cigarette taxes and smoking rates has been shown repeatedly both in the Untied States and in every other nation that has attempted such programs. You point out that many states continue to loose revenue from such taxes, even as the tax rates go up. Are you so blinded by your addiction that you can't work out what this means by yourself? Smoking rates are plummeting.

I don't agree with the taxes. You are an adult, and if you want to kill yourself then I think that is your choice. Dirty fuel is completely different. If you drive a Hummer, everyone else gets to pay for your "choice". In that case, I think government should get involved.

The difference between cigarette taxes and dirty fuel taxes is the victim. The cigarette tax is designed to protect you from yourself. I do not think government should be in this business, and I oppose cigarette taxes. However, they do reduce smoking rates, as intended. The inverse correlation between cigarette taxes and smoking rates has been shown repeatedly both in the Untied States and in every other nation that has attempted such programs. You point out that many states continue to loose revenue from such taxes, even as the tax rates go up. Are you so blinded by your addiction that you can't work out what this means by yourself? Smoking rates are plummeting.

I don't agree with the taxes. You are an adult, and if you want to kill yourself then I think that is your choice. Dirty fuel is completely different. If you drive a Hummer, everyone else gets to pay for your "choice". In that case, I think government should get involved.

When did you pay my gasoline bill for my Hummer? I seem to keep getting these huge credit card bills with gasoline station charges on them..... You want to pick up a few of those for me?

As I drive around the Philly burbs, I see more Hillary signs on lawns than Trump signs but when I see a Trump sign I take note of the automobile. Guess what? They are almost always foreign. The have the pretentious Lexus or Audi, the less rich the Hyundai or Toyota. This makes me smile. The very people who want to make America great again support and advertise for foreign nations. Too funny. So today when I saw this article it reminded me of this piece I wrote when Sarah Palin was saying, drill baby drill. Interesting.

Small factories. A few still exist around Philly and I sometimes see the workers leaving and think how long will it last?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/b...as-a-weapon-in-the-fight-against-poverty.html

"There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are, curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve, then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us." Pogo

As I drive around the Philly burbs, I see more Hillary signs on lawns than Trump signs but when I see a Trump sign I take note of the automobile. Guess what? They are almost always foreign. The have the pretentious Lexus or Audi, the less rich the Hyundai or Toyota. This makes me smile. The very people who want to make America great again support and advertise for foreign nations. Too funny. So today when I saw this article it reminded me of this piece I wrote when Sarah Palin was saying, drill baby drill. Interesting.

Small factories. A few still exist around Philly and I sometimes see the workers leaving and think how long will it last?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/b...as-a-weapon-in-the-fight-against-poverty.html

"There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are, curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve, then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us." Pogo
One of the oddest things on this board is the fact that almost all the 'Conservatives' here that support Trump, never miss an opportunity to diss the Tesla automobile. Yet, the Tesla is over 90% made in America, the highest rate of any automobile made. And it is a cutting edge vehicle, the fastest auto 0 to the legal limit of any mass produced vehicle in the world. Runs on electricity, which you can produce yourself, or take off the grid for pennies on the dollar compared the gasoline that would be necessary to propel a 3 ton luxury vehicle with and ICE. Yet they constantly talk about 'making America great again', but never miss an opportunity to denigrate the products that would do that. LOL

One of the oddest things on this board is the fact that almost all the 'Conservatives' here that support Trump, never miss an opportunity to diss the Tesla automobile. Yet, the Tesla is over 90% made in America, the highest rate of any automobile made.
No it is not 90%, you failed to prove that in another thread Old Crock, Crock lies about everything. Besides, just because a Porta John is made in the USA, is no reason to proclaim they do not stink!

Egads, it dawned on me I already had a 'green new deal' plan (?) in 2008. I have to re-read and edit but thought this kinda funny.

Home (2009) Full Movie is on YouTube

Commodity prices are rising: food, heating, and transportation costs affect all Americans and have global impact. Energy cost is considered by most the major cause, so in a effort to resolve these issues with a single policy and process, 'Plowing' is the answer. Plowing will render off shore drilling unnecessary. Plowing will allow us to rebuild our infrastructure in a less wasteful way and put America back to work.

Plowing is a solution everyone can agree on as it is obvious and transparent. Urban and suburban sprawl have contributed to a loss of farm land and forest. The cause is, well us, not all of us. (I have always used public transportation or a bicycle.) And there is no need to even debate global warming as Plowing alone will help our environment survive far into the future.

What we propose is plowing over houses that are too large and too far from public transportation. Houses that have taken over land once farmed and forests that create byproducts that keep our planet healthy. Exceptions of course would be functional houses: farm homes and barns, worker quarters, and some recreational homes provided they are clustered near the recreational location.

Once plowed the land could then be returned to farming, reducing energy needs, and providing healthy work and fresh food for the locality near the farms. Lots will be raffled off to those willing to engage in this work. Certain areas will be left as forest. Short trips to market would save an incredible amount of energy. And with food prices reduced locally, mega-farms could feed the world cheaply. Better health will be another plus.

Transportation systems would be created similar to the Paris or the Washington Metro, in a hub spoke formation. Taxes would be levied on citizens based on distance from a Metro station. Ruining our world requires cost and the wasteful need to pay those costs. Any development that extends too far will require a consensus vote by the local people. People using energy cause a situation that only leads to more need and no sensible equilibrium of resources. Growth will be in doing the green thing and not the easy thing.

The work involved in plowing the houses and returning the land to farming and forests would create numerous job opportunities as housing pieces are recycled to manufacturing campuses at a spoke of the transportation hub. Recycling of these many materials will reduce their costs.

The housing and manufacturing industries would blossom again as we created homes that are friendly, livable, and people can walk to the corner store. Squares and parks would be required. Plus you can hop on the rail to the city for its many amenities. Homes would be similar to original city row or townhouse designs with more space for people and vehicles and privacy yards. Leaving more space would create work opportunities (customers would be nearby) and a friendlier community.

Excessive non-perishable material, stone in particular, from the plowed homes would be shipped by rail to fill in mines and other places where our destruction of the earth is too obvious. Recycling of these materials as we build smaller more efficient homes and communities would be an additional industrial base. Emphasis would be on natural products as opposed to created products that eventually end up in landfills.

Tax structure would be modified so the wasteful in our society, with large houses, those with too many cars, who live far from work, would pay extra taxes. This only seems fair if we want a nice place for our grandchildren to live.

Well folks are you with me, it going to be a long trip, but FDR did it, let's get started.

Footnote: Areas that posses these qualities exist now. Transportation, see the Washington Metro, or any big city subway system. Disney world's monorail is a good model. Princeton New Jersey is an example of a place that maintains it open spaces and its quaint city. Certain shore area have the housing examples and the proximity to neighbors creates a friendly atmosphere. Pennsylvania has a train stop with parking areas that is a preliminary example of the transport hub to the city model. No more bowling alone. It will take time but we can do it, we can save our earth and a child one hundred years from now will still marvel at wilderness and a sea horizon that stretches forever.
Communism, in other words.

Commodity prices are rising: food, heating, and transportation costs affect all Americans and have global impact. Energy cost is considered by most the major cause, so in a effort to resolve these issues with a single policy and process, 'Plowing' is the answer. Plowing will render off shore drilling unnecessary. Plowing will allow us to rebuild our infrastructure in a less wasteful way and put America back to work.

Plowing is a solution everyone can agree on as it is obvious and transparent. Urban and suburban sprawl have contributed to a loss of farm land and forest. The cause is, well us, not all of us. (I have always used public transportation or a bicycle.) And there is no need to even debate global warming as Plowing alone will help our environment survive far into the future.

What we propose is plowing over houses that are too large and too far from public transportation. Houses that have taken over land once farmed and forests that create byproducts that keep our planet healthy. Exceptions of course would be functional houses: farm homes and barns, worker quarters, and some recreational homes provided they are clustered near the recreational location.

Once plowed the land could then be returned to farming, reducing energy needs, and providing healthy work and fresh food for the locality near the farms. Lots will be raffled off to those willing to engage in this work. Certain areas will be left as forest. Short trips to market would save an incredible amount of energy. And with food prices reduced locally, mega-farms could feed the world cheaply. Better health will be another plus.

Transportation systems would be created similar to the Paris or the Washington Metro, in a hub spoke formation. Taxes would be levied on citizens based on distance from a Metro station. Ruining our world requires cost and the wasteful need to pay those costs. Any development that extends too far will require a consensus vote by the local people. People using energy cause a situation that only leads to more need and no sensible equilibrium of resources. Growth will be in doing the green thing and not the easy thing.

The work involved in plowing the houses and returning the land to farming and forests would create numerous job opportunities as housing pieces are recycled to manufacturing campuses at a spoke of the transportation hub. Recycling of these many materials will reduce their costs.

The housing and manufacturing industries would blossom again as we created homes that are friendly, livable, and people can walk to the corner store. Squares and parks would be required. Plus you can hop on the rail to the city for its many amenities. Homes would be similar to original city row or townhouse designs with more space for people and vehicles and privacy yards. Leaving more space would create work opportunities (customers would be nearby) and a friendlier community.

Excessive non-perishable material, stone in particular, from the plowed homes would be shipped by rail to fill in mines and other places where our destruction of the earth is too obvious. Recycling of these materials as we build smaller more efficient homes and communities would be an additional industrial base. Emphasis would be on natural products as opposed to created products that eventually end up in landfills.

Tax structure would be modified so the wasteful in our society, with large houses, those with too many cars, who live far from work, would pay extra taxes. This only seems fair if we want a nice place for our grandchildren to live.

Well folks are you with me, it going to be a long trip, but FDR did it, let's get started.

Footnote: Areas that posses these qualities exist now. Transportation, see the Washington Metro, or any big city subway system. Disney world's monorail is a good model. Princeton New Jersey is an example of a place that maintains it open spaces and its quaint city. Certain shore area have the housing examples and the proximity to neighbors creates a friendly atmosphere. Pennsylvania has a train stop with parking areas that is a preliminary example of the transport hub to the city model. No more bowling alone. It will take time but we can do it, we can save our earth and a child one hundred years from now will still marvel at wilderness and a sea horizon that stretches forever.

So you want someone else to tell you where you can live, how big your house should be what you should eat how high to set your thermostat what car to drive or even if you can own a car etc etc

I don't know about you but I don't need anyone to tell me what to do

Forum List

Back