Please listen to Champ Bailey, Charles Barkley

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Last night was the NFL Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. This is the pinnacle of the sport. It is the highest achievement they can get.

Champ Bailey, one of the greatest corners to ever play was one of the inductees The first 30 minutes of his speech was the standard hall of fame speech, where he thankedceverybody that helped him along the way, once again proving that no one individual or group has done anything alone.

But it was the last minute or 2 that made this speech as legendary as the player himself.

“Tonight, I thanked many people who supported my career and many of you are my closest friends,” Bailey said. “Some of you are also considered experts of the game as much as I am. Out of the people I mentioned tonight, most of you are black men. My brothers. Some of you are athletes and some of you are non-athletes, but we are all black men first. It’s something we have more expertise in than any aspect of our lives. I’m a firm believer that if you want to create change, you better start with your friends and your family. So I’m starting here today.

“The first thing people see when they look at me is not a Pro Football Hall of Famer or a husband or a father. They view me first as a black man. So, on behalf of all the black men that I mentioned tonight, and many more out there who’ve had the same experiences that I’ve had in my lifetime, we say this to all of our white friends: When we tell you about our fears, please listen. When we tell you we’re afraid for our kids, please listen. When we tell you there are many challenges we face because of the color of our skin, please listen. And please don’t get caught up in how the message is delivered. Yes, most of us are athletes, but we are black men first. Understand this. Things that make us great on the field, like our size and our aggression, are the same things that can get us killed off the field.

“I believe if we start listening, there’s no telling the progress we can make. All of us are dads, sons, brothers, your friends. We all understand that if we can’t get our friends to listen, then no one will. And to my black brothers, if you do not have anything positive to say about our social challenges, please keep your mouth shut.”

Champ Bailey closes Hall of Fame speech with strong statement on race relations

Please listen to Bailey, Charles Barkley.

Last night was the NFL Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. This is the pinnacle of the sport. It is the highest achievement they can get.

Champ Bailey, one of the greatest corners to ever play was one of the inductees The first 30 minutes of his speech was the standard hall of fame speech, where he thankedceverybody that helped him along the way, once again proving that no one individual or group has done anything alone.

But it was the last minute or 2 that made this speech as legendary as the player himself.

“Tonight, I thanked many people who supported my career and many of you are my closest friends,” Bailey said. “Some of you are also considered experts of the game as much as I am. Out of the people I mentioned tonight, most of you are black men. My brothers. Some of you are athletes and some of you are non-athletes, but we are all black men first. It’s something we have more expertise in than any aspect of our lives. I’m a firm believer that if you want to create change, you better start with your friends and your family. So I’m starting here today.

“The first thing people see when they look at me is not a Pro Football Hall of Famer or a husband or a father. They view me first as a black man. So, on behalf of all the black men that I mentioned tonight, and many more out there who’ve had the same experiences that I’ve had in my lifetime, we say this to all of our white friends: When we tell you about our fears, please listen. When we tell you we’re afraid for our kids, please listen. When we tell you there are many challenges we face because of the color of our skin, please listen. And please don’t get caught up in how the message is delivered. Yes, most of us are athletes, but we are black men first. Understand this. Things that make us great on the field, like our size and our aggression, are the same things that can get us killed off the field.

“I believe if we start listening, there’s no telling the progress we can make. All of us are dads, sons, brothers, your friends. We all understand that if we can’t get our friends to listen, then no one will. And to my black brothers, if you do not have anything positive to say about our social challenges, please keep your mouth shut.”

Amen.

Very Hoptepish---if you are not black and a man who agrees with me, you are wrong!!!!

“I believe if we start listening, there’s no telling the progress we can make. All of us are dads, sons, brothers, your friends. We all understand that if we can’t get our friends to listen, then no one will."

Yes. Absolutely. WE. That means this has to be an honest, two-way conversation in which ALL participants are not just TALKING but LISTENING, not just LISTENING but UNDERSTANDING.

WE are nowhere near that right now, from either side, because we have lost the ability to communicate honestly.

Last edited:

What most endangers black men are other black men. Are they killing you because you're black?

Very Hoptepish---if you are not black and a man who agrees with me, you are wrong!!!!

White conservatives tell white liberals that all the time. STFU.

What most endangers black men are other black men. Are they killing you because you're black?

What endangers white men are other white men. So you are not making sense.

“I believe if we start listening, there’s no telling the progress we can make. All of us are dads, sons, brothers, your friends. We all understand that if we can’t get our friends to listen, then no one will."

Yes. Absolutely. WE. That means this has to be an honest, two-way conversation in which ALL participants are not just TALKING but LISTENING, not just LISTENING but UNDERSTANDING.

WE are nowhere near that right now, from either side, because we have lost the ability to communicate honestly.

We? I guess that's why Champ asked whites to listen no matter how the message is delivered. This is not about we.

We? I guess that's why Champ asked whites to listen no matter how the message is delivered. This is not about we.
I know. You just want to lecture.

That's not going to work.

Amen.

You don't even understand what was said.

That's where you got it all wrong son.

Amen.

Why, because I'm not black?

Sure they do but in this case, it is clearly Misogyny. Not sure why so many black men have contempt for women but they do.

There is no misogyny here by me. You racists are truly some dumb people .

Amen.

Why, because I'm not black?

Explain what he meant. Whites like you are tired. You have never lived in a majority black society, or been educated to think as blacks think philosophically, never had to navigate through a system of black dominant institutions, then you get asschap if somebody blacks tells you how you don't understand what it is to be black.

Last edited:

Sure they do but in this case, it is clearly Misogyny. Not sure why so many black men have contempt for women but they do.

Why is he racist? And why is he dumb?

That's where you got it all wrong son.

No, Mac is correct when he wrote YOU only want to lecture everyone else.

You also need to listen to learn but you refuse...

Why is he racist? And why is he dumb?
Read his post.

I understand that mathematics, ratio and probability are well beyond your grasp, but black men endanger the lives of others, be they white, Hispanic or black far more than others. It is especially true of blacks. Who do you think is committing 50% of murders in America? Hint: Africa.

The rate of black people killing black people is what’s alarming.

Champ Bailey seems to be lecturing whites on how it’s important to listen to blacks. First of all not all blacks think the same or share the same experiences. Judging by his ignorant comments, it would serve Champ well to do some listening of his own.

Forum List

Back