Platform Holly Will Be Removed in SB Channel

So... you ride a bike? A horse? Drive an electric car?

I'm have always been amused by the people of California... So car dependent yet so reluctant to contribute to producing the necessary petroleum products required to run them... sure, the oil industry built California in the early days, but that was then...

Personally, I lived in Ventura county for 35 years, drove up and down the coast more times than I can count, never once did I consider the very few rigs I saw as eyesores... they were just... there.

How long before you're complaining about the increase in natural seepage? Nothing you can do about that...

I'll take one oil rig over hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of windmills lined up in the states of Oregon and Washington.

Last edited:
But it’s OK to litter some of the most scenic landscapes on the country with hundreds of miles of wind turbines.
I’m not justifying abandoned oil rigs. But supporters of wind turbines have zero authority on the subject of aesthetics.
Believe me, I hear you. Anything that detracts from natural beauty. Like all the 4th of July trash left along PCH. Disgusting.

Ho
But it’s OK to litter some of the most scenic landscapes on the country with hundreds of miles of wind turbines.
I’m not justifying abandoned oil rigs. But supporters of wind turbines have zero authority on the subject of aesthetics.
w aesthetically pleasing is the abandoned oil platform? And with memories of the Deep Water Horizon at the front of mind, why pick a fight with sustainable, non-polluting energy?

Your concern is aesthetics? I thought more of you, based on previous discussions. Why bring the cheap when you have more in your pocket?

Believe me, I hear you. Anything that detracts from natural beauty. Like all the 4th of July trash left along PCH. Disgusting.

Publishers Clearing House trash on the 4th? Your initials mean nothing to those not in the area.

So... you ride a bike? A horse? Drive an electric car?

I'm have always been amused by the people of California... So car dependent yet so reluctant to contribute to producing the necessary petroleum products required to run them... sure, the oil industry built California in the early days, but that was then...

Personally, I lived in Ventura county for 35 years, drove up and down the coast more times than I can count, never once did I consider the very few rigs I saw as eyesores... they were just... there.

How long before you're complaining about the increase in natural seepage? Nothing you can do about that...
Natural seepage, my feet used to have tar on them. Same with my surfboard. Nothing like 1969.

Publishers Clearing House trash on the 4th? Your initials mean nothing to those not in the area.
Maybe it's not all about you. Or what you think.

This story resonates all the way east to the upper Ohio River valley where I have spent the bulk of my life. When I was born, there were 48 states in the union, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills and strip mines were running full tilt. Three shifts a day.

When I was just graduating high school, the strip mines had scraped all the coal they could from 10s of thousands of acres in the Tri-State area, where Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia converge. Steel mills from Homestead down stream passed Ambridge, Aliquippa and Midland, Pennsylvania were downsizing at best, closing permanently at worst. Within another five years, just as I was earning my degree, there was only one division of one steel mill open.

We had the rusting hulks of blast furnaces, coke plants, foundries, sheet and bar mills, tank farms and slag piles. Not to mention a scared landscape that was rapidly eroding soil, clogging up streams.

We got rid of the industrial waste. The warning is, once that infrastructure is gone, it's never coming back. The soil reclamation efforts paid off. The hardwood forests need thirty or forty years to come back. With luck, I'll hike among tall oaks, poplar, wild cherry and hickories.

Cleaner is better. Especially after you have learned not to work in the mill but in something less brutal.

Last edited:

Maybe it's not all about you. Or what you think.

True, who gives a fuck about your damn coastline having oil rigs, asshole. SFOMFAF!

This story resonates all the way east to the upper Ohio River valley where I have spent the bulk of my life. When I was born, there were 48 states in the union, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills and strip mines were running full tilt. Three shifts a day.

When I was just graduating high school, the strip mines had scraped all the coal they could from 10s of thousands of acres in the Tri-State area, where Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia converge. Steel mills from Homestead down stream passed Ambridge, Aliquippa and Midland, Pennsylvania were downsizing at best, closing permanently at worst. Within another five years, just as I was earning my degree, there was only one division of one steel mill open.

We had the rusting hulks of blast furnaces, coke plants, foundries, sheet and bar mills, tank farms and slag piles. Not to mention a scared landscape that was rapidly eroding soil, clogging up streams.

We got rid of the industrial waste. The warning is, once that infrastructure is gone, it's never coming back. The soil reclamation efforts paid off. The hardwood forests need thirty or forty years to come back. With luck, I'll hike among tall oaks, poplar, wild cherry and hickories.

Cleaner is better. Especially after you have learned not to work in the mill but in something less brutal.
Your post is well read. Amen.

Oregon pretty well raped forests and they are finally returning after many decades.

Problem is that all of that trash isn’t policy of the left the way wind turbines are.

Ho
w aesthetically pleasing is the abandoned oil platform? And with memories of the Deep Water Horizon at the front of mind, why pick a fight with sustainable, non-polluting energy?

Your concern is aesthetics? I thought more of you, based on previous discussions. Why bring the cheap when you have more in your pocket?
I already stated that I’m not justifying oil rigs in the ocean. However, if the lesser of two problems is considered, oil rigs are nothing near as aesthetically disgusting as way more wind turbines.
If you consider what goes into making those windmills you’d be disgusted.

I remember when the oil platforms weren't there. They ruin the coastline, visually. I watched the Goleta council on TV last night on how to proceed on the removal of the abandoned rig known as Holly. It's going to take some time, but some day the coast will be rid of the blight.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-platform-holly/

I take it you live in a cave and walk everywhere you go otherwise you're just another a hypocrite.

Ho

I already stated that I’m not justifying oil rigs in the ocean. However, if the lesser of two problems is considered, oil rigs are nothing near as aesthetically disgusting as way more wind turbines.
The noise from them gives you cancer. And the well shaft, millions of gallons of oil at the sea floor are just benign side effects of off shore drilling. When they rust and collapse, there is no hazard to navigation nor chance of the well leaking.

Ho

The noise from them gives you cancer. And the well shaft, millions of gallons of oil at the sea floor are just benign side effects of off shore drilling. When they rust and collapse, there is no hazard to navigation nor chance of the well leaking.
And when fossil fuel resource access is denied the price of all consumer goods rises and 3rd world people go from poverty to starvation. I don’t think the cancer risk is a concern for dead people.
Wind turbine creation is completely counterproductive in terms of carbine footprint.

Forum List

Back