Placement of Gitmo Prisoners and HR 1238

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Congressman John Shadegg (R), who is from my own state of Arizona, will introduce HR 1238 in response to Obama's executive order closing Guantanamo Bay. HR 1238 will bar any Gitmo detainee from being brought into the United States.

The issues at hand are myriad. There are nearly 250 detainees at Gitmo. About 60 of them are suitable for release, but their home countries won't take them because of the potential terrorist threat they represent (No, I'm not entirely sure what the government means by "suitable for release". Clearly, it doesn't mean "cleared of all suspicion".) Obama will not release them to any country which will deal with them too harshly according to his own personal standards of "harsh". The rest of the detainees, of course, will still need to be housed in some other prison.

One issue is asylum. Under current US law, terrorists and suspected terrorists are not eligible for asylum. But once they are here, there is always the possibility of some judge deciding that they are no longer terrorists for whatever reason.

Then there's the question of which prisons we CAN keep them at. According to Shadegg, our maximum security prisons are already full. They also are not in any way prepared to deal with the multiple added security risks imposed by terrorists.

In his March 3 statement, Rep. Shadegg said: “Our brave soldiers sacrificed valiantly to keep these terrorist killers away from their loved ones and ours. Now we may bring them here ourselves? That is one risk we should never take.”

Discuss.

Maybe if we knew who were actually terrorists and who were just screwed when they were picked up it might help.

This goes beyond just a security issue. What some are saying is too bad you're not a terrorist, but you were lockedup for years, tortured and now you may be a threat to US. So we will just keep you indefinately.

If this administrtion gets beyond the worst of the worst rhetoric of the last group of losers and actually ascertains who is is guilty of what or who is suspected of being guilty, maybe we can find a solution.

I don't agree that because our officials fucked up, now we can continue to fuck some of these detainees who never were terrorists.

It's too bad some of the people who created this mess can't be locked up until they come up with a solution.

If some of the detainees were never terrorists to begin with, couldn't they just be returned to their own country?

As for those who are proven terrorists, I don't have a clue what to do with them because I think they are in the best place right now.

Maybe if we knew who were actually terrorists and who were just screwed when they were picked up it might help.

This goes beyond just a security issue. What some are saying is too bad you're not a terrorist, but you were lockedup for years, tortured and now you may be a threat to US. So we will just keep you indefinately.

If this administrtion gets beyond the worst of the worst rhetoric of the last group of losers and actually ascertains who is is guilty of what or who is suspected of being guilty, maybe we can find a solution.

I don't agree that because our officials fucked up, now we can continue to fuck some of these detainees who never were terrorists.

It's too bad some of the people who created this mess can't be locked up until they come up with a solution.

I'm very sorry someone has given you the mistaken impression that we're just scooping up random people on the streets and tossing them in the pokey without any sort of hearing to determine if they're a threat.

Congressman John Shadegg (R), who is from my own state of Arizona, will introduce HR 1238 in response to Obama's executive order closing Guantanamo Bay. HR 1238 will bar any Gitmo detainee from being brought into the United States.

The issues at hand are myriad. There are nearly 250 detainees at Gitmo. About 60 of them are suitable for release, but their home countries won't take them because of the potential terrorist threat they represent (No, I'm not entirely sure what the government means by "suitable for release". Clearly, it doesn't mean "cleared of all suspicion".) Obama will not release them to any country which will deal with them too harshly according to his own personal standards of "harsh". The rest of the detainees, of course, will still need to be housed in some other prison.

One issue is asylum. Under current US law, terrorists and suspected terrorists are not eligible for asylum. But once they are here, there is always the possibility of some judge deciding that they are no longer terrorists for whatever reason.

Then there's the question of which prisons we CAN keep them at. According to Shadegg, our maximum security prisons are already full. They also are not in any way prepared to deal with the multiple added security risks imposed by terrorists.

In his March 3 statement, Rep. Shadegg said: “Our brave soldiers sacrificed valiantly to keep these terrorist killers away from their loved ones and ours. Now we may bring them here ourselves? That is one risk we should never take.”

Discuss.
He's right and I'd rep if I could.

If some of the detainees were never terrorists to begin with, couldn't they just be returned to their own country?

As for those who are proven terrorists, I don't have a clue what to do with them because I think they are in the best place right now.

You DO realize that many people who were picked up have been returned to their own countries? And quite a few of them ended up being picked up AGAIN, because they WERE engaged in terrorist activities, and went back to them when released.

Despite what the media would have you think, we really aren't just blankly holding innocent people indefinitely without attempting to find out if they should be there.

obama is simply going to build a pow camp in afganistan and move them all there.....he pretty much said this when he said POW's held on the field of battle have no rights....

Forum List

Back