Pelosi: Congress Needs to 'Keep the Door Open' to Second Stimulus Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday that Congress needs to "keep the door open" to a second stimulus package -- raising the question of how much the government could eventually spend on top of the $787 billion already allocated to rescue the country from dire economic straits.

"The word of the day is confidence. Confidence in our markets, confidence in lending, confidence in our financial institutions," Pelosi said before suggesting the need for a second rescue package during a press conference Tuesday following a meeting with top economists.

Mark Zandi, chief economist and founder of Moody's Economy, took a more definitive stance than Pelosi, telling reporters a second stimulus bill is necessary

Pelosi: Congress Needs to 'Keep the Door Open' to Second Stimulus Package - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

:clap2: outstanding Hey???? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyone who didn't see this coming is crazy. Bailouts and spending packages only make our economy worse.

The European Union just came out today--& stated no more money for economic stimulus.

Wanna bet--that Europe comes out of this before we do?

Anyone who didn't see this coming is crazy. Bailouts and spending packages only make our economy worse.
hey, i called this last fall with the first porkulous bill
i said this would end up costing TRILLIONS
and i was laughed at
we're at $2 Trillion now
actually, over

Congress at work: '$1 billion an hour'

In just 50 days, Congress has voted to spend about $1.2 trillion between the Stimulus and the Omnibus,” McConnell says. “To put that in perspective, that’s about $24 billion a day, or about $1 billion an hour—most of it borrowed. There’s simply no question: government spending has spun out of control.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19884.html

Someone wanna 'splain this one to me? Give me a break. Are they hoping we all follow suit and spend money we don't have?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday that Congress needs to "keep the door open" to a second stimulus package -- raising the question of how much the government could eventually spend on top of the $787 billion already allocated to rescue the country from dire economic straits.

"The word of the day is confidence. Confidence in our markets, confidence in lending, confidence in our financial institutions," Pelosi said before suggesting the need for a second rescue package during a press conference Tuesday following a meeting with top economists.

Mark Zandi, chief economist and founder of Moody's Economy, took a more definitive stance than Pelosi, telling reporters a second stimulus bill is necessary

Pelosi: Congress Needs to 'Keep the Door Open' to Second Stimulus Package - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

:clap2: outstanding Hey???? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Has she been watching Sesame Street a lot lately?

Iraq cost $122,820 per minute ($7.4 million per hour) as of 2004....

USATODAY.com - Clock in NYC shows cost of Iraq war

I guess spending money on killing people for no reason is ok.
So far we spent around 600 billion in Iraq
700 Biilion first stimulus
787 billion 2nd stimulus
410 billion inflated budget
??? 3rd stimulus

Anybody seeing a pattern? May I be so bold to ask...what has our buck got us to this point???

In no way shape or form does our disastrous foreign policy from the last administration make it o.k. for the Democratic leadership to waste hundreds of billions of dollars.

Yet the new breed of deficit hawk (as seen on these pages) was silent for all the years of Bush's presidency. Now they're doing the bidding of Patrick McHenry. It's kind of disiingenuous and pointless. You're consistent.... philosophically, both types of expenditures bother you. That's something I can at least respect even if I don't agree with your whole Austrian economic thing.

I don't ever live off of a credit card. (mine are zero'd out every month). I hate when my government does. I'm ticked off totally that the horrible stewardship of the last administration requires this type of intervention. But I also believe, unlike you, that it does require that type of investment. Should we be monitoring (unlike the last admin) where the money goes and how it is used? Absolutely. But we should use the opportunity and the need for the spending to rebuild our infrastructure. I'm not seeing enough of that.

787 billion 2nd stimulus
??? 3rd stimulus

Anybody seeing a pattern? May I be so bold to ask...what has our buck got us to this point???

The expenditures in Iraq were pointless and a matter of choice... no reason for it whatsover.

As to your question? It took Bush and the boys eight years to create this mess. Do you think it's going to be fixed in a month and a half?

787 billion 2nd stimulus
??? 3rd stimulus

The expenditures in Iraq were pointless and a matter of choice... no reason for it whatsover.

As to your question? It took Bush and the boys eight years to create this mess. Do you think it's going to be fixed in a month and a half?

Jillian, I agree that bush wassn't the brightest star in the sky..having said that, I'm not sure we have any bright ones in politics. The market doesn't like all this borrowing to get us out of a recession. It's never worked before, I don't think it's going to work now. I do feel that we should have taken baby step in this process, and not put the world into shock, having this done in the first month and a half. I think Obama may have been a lot more effective without the likes of Pelosi. I hope you can admit she is quite extreme.

787 billion 2nd stimulus
??? 3rd stimulus

Nobody thought this mess would be fixed in a month and a half. Do you think another stimulus will help fix it though? When does the borrowing and spending stop?

Just like the old saying goes "2 wrongs don't make a right". Why does this statement continue to come up? I guess the left loves looking back (Obama said he would not look back but brings up failed policies of the past every chance he gets or at least every time it's on his tele-prompter).
The war was a mistake and so is Obama's economic recovery programs. That wasn't so hard to say! I am not so partisan as to not admit failures when they are obvious, though it seems some on the boards just can't.

Iraq cost $122,820 per minute ($7.4 million per hour) as of 2004...

The "boys" you quote include the Democrat controlled congress for the last 2 years of Bush's presidency. Budgets and spending are done by the Congress not the President.

Japan just came out with the need for a stimulus bill.

They couldn't put all the money they wanted in the bill because of the repub resistance. So yes, we will probably need more to finish the job.

FDR was right and it worked. Obama will be correct and we will get back on the road to recovery that we were kicked off by "He Who's Name We Cannot Mention Anymore":lol:

Nancy will face some heat with this new SP from the blue dogs in the House. If the GOP stays together with the addition of said blue dogs she could have an uphill fight on her hands. Especially now that her party's President has come out and said things aren't as bad as we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back