Piracy is not killing PC games

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Quantum Windbag, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Gaming companies are.

Ubisoft Cuts Off Legit Players With DRM Server Migration; Pirates Play On | Techdirt

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,367
    DRMs should be outlawed. While the copywrite is theirs and protected under law, the package they sell me is mine and they (based on old existing laws) should no longer be able to control my access to my property.
    They need to find a more consumer friendly method to fight piracy. In this instance they can truthfully: say: "When they take way your games only criminals will have games........." :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I read a very prominent blogger who bought a game and wanted to test it on various computers to see how different systems affected the performance of the game. He got locked out of the game when he changed the graphics card on his PC. If you can't even buy a new graphics card for a computer would you fork out $50 for a game?

4. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,367
    Before I was aware of the industries, what I call, rental policy under the guise of ownership I legally purchased 3 games at a yard sale and one via Amazon. Because they were previously owned they won't authenticate the games and the process they put in place to "transfer ownership" is intentionally made impossible to comply with. They only recognize a faxed/mailed copy of a new sale receipt, not resale receipts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,367
  6. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    That is a great way of putting it Ringel.."rental under the guise of ownership".
    DRM is an abomination on individual rights of ownership.
    If you can't sell something - you don't own it.
    If you can't access something you purchased without permission from the seller - you don't own it.
    As an example, 3-4 years ago I use to subscribe to Rhapsody. I purchased probably 20-30 songs. When I decided to stop paying Rhapsody, I downloaded all of the songs that I purchased. Well...they won't play. If I try to play on WMP it will say "acquiring license..." and then fail. They won't play on iTunes either.
    So I had to use "sound converter" a simple app that strips DRM and converts to mp3's. Not everyone knows how to do this so alot of folks just give up.
    The funny thing is - those songs are now "illegal" in the eyes of the music industry.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,367
    Basically these companies that use DRM are driving much of the piracy by making the use of their product by legitimate consumers difficult and or annoyingly draconian to access. While I like Ubisofts' games I refuse to buy them because of their focus on their profits only and not their customers. Read the link about Valve, when they decided to move into the Russian market they were told it was futile and all their products would be pirated. The neighsayers were wrong and Russia is now their biggest market even with the large number of piracies that do occur. They're not complaining.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    This stuff is amazing. It is worse than I thought. I read through other stories that linked off of your links.
    I didn't know it was this bad.
    My son and I have been talking about getting away from the lowly X-Box with it's 1990's graphics and hair-pulling annoying wait times for multi-player.
    I have been looking at some builds from Cybertron and thinking of getting back to PC gaming and away from the ancient technology of consoles.
    Reading this stuff has me thinking twice.

9. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,367
    I've been doing some more research and have discovered if you're not into the latest and greatest brand new games that come heavily DRM loaded then just wait a little while.

How to get DRM-free PC games: Just wait | Apple Talk - CNET News

10. PeteEU

PeteEU VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    DRM is as failed as regions were/are on DVDs.

It does not prevent piracy since they crack most DRM pretty quickly, and it does piss people off who legally bought the material and cant use it legally as they wish.