Pink Thoughts

When will there be a "Prostate Cancer Month"?

When it comes to health care, men are second class citizens.

Maybe men need to suggest it, push it. Write your Congressman.

Breast and Prostate Cancer are similar - in that they're both pretty bad.

Prostate cancer isn't hip, politically correct or sexy enough.

Breast cancer isn't hip, politically correct or sexy. I have two friends that have breast cancer and that's the farthest thing from my mind and their's.

Breast cancer isn't hip, politically correct or sexy. I have two friends that have breast cancer and that's the farthest thing from my mind and their's.

My grandmother died from breast cancer. My mother has had breast cancer twice. My sister just had a double mastectomy. Cancer runs in my family.

My father died from complications from his prostate cancer.

I appreciate and support all the efforts being put into breast cancer research...including the donations.

But what about dad?

Men are second class citizens when it comes to donations, research and funding for the things that make them die.

Prostate cancer just isn't sexy enough for people for it to matter. Just look at the OP's response. Boobs are sexy, dicks aren't.

Pretty much says it all.

This is what I wish, that women viewing this thread understand that prostate cancer effects men in the same way and in almost the same mortality that breast cancer does for them.

Men are reluctant to make this case, that's the way men are. But it would be nice if women fought as hard for the things that kill us the things that kill them.

Because we won't do it for ourselves, we need YOU.

Men are fucked up...you know that.

Last edited:

My grandmother died from breast cancer. My mother has had breast cancer twice. My sister just had a double mastectomy. Cancer runs in my family.

I appreciate and support all the efforts being put into breast cancer research...including the donations.

But what about dad?

Men are second class citizens when it comes to donations, research and funding for the things that make them die.

Prostate cancer just isn't sexy enough for people for it to matter. Just look at the OP's response. Boobs are sexy, dicks aren't.

Pretty much says it all.

This is what I wish, that women viewing this thread understand that prostate cancer effects men in the same way and in almost the same mortality that breast cancer does for them.

Mom gets more cards and flowers for Mothers' day than dad on Fathers' Day.
People just love mom more.

Besides, there are twice as many boobies

I am glad, however, that you do recognize the seriousness.
And I do recognize the seriousness of prostate cancer.

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that"
The idea has been forwarded to Admin and we will see what transpires
:cool:

IBTL
*unsub*
:eusa_shifty:

But what about dad?

Pretty much says it all.

IBTL
*unsub*

I disagree. I think children love their fathers as much as they love their mothers. Maybe for different reasons, but the love is still there and it's just as strong.

Last edited:

But what about dad?

Pretty much says it all.

IBTL
*unsub*

I can't tell you how much and how many different levels this comment offends me.

I feel for you, that must be tough. Some families seem to be more prone to cancer than others and it's a bitch.

But what about dad?
I understand your concern, but I don't know how breast cancer started getting more attention than prostate cancer. I guess it has to start somewhere, and it will probably be a woman that starts the ball rolling with prostate cancer, as well.

Women are second class citizens when it comes to equality in pay, raises and promotions, so maybe we are entitled to at least one area of superiority?

I think he was just trying to be funny.

Pretty much says it all.
You can't base your whole opinion on one's person's response, whether it was in seriousness or not.

I do, and I support my husband when it comes to buying vitamins or anything that helps prevent it. I'm sure most wives do, too.

Men are reluctant to make this case, that's the way men are. But it would be nice if women fought as hard for the things that kill us the things that kill them.
It was probably a woman that got the ball rolling on "breast cancer", and I think it will probably be a woman who will do the same for prostate cancer. All we need is someone to put a bug in our Congressman's ears and who knows, what that could create.

Because we won't do it for ourselves, we need YOU.

men are fucked up...you know that.
I'm not so sure about that....y'all don't need us to go fishing, golfing, hunting......sometimes we go along and ruin it (according to my brother!)

When my father was on his deathbed and he passed, I was there with my hand in his as his last breath in this world went away. I think about him everyday and wish he was still in my life.

So don't tell me about how love for mothers is stronger than a love for a father.

Last edited:
Do Sock Puppets dream of Electric Pink?

When will there be a "Prostate Cancer Month"?

When it comes to health care, men are second class citizens.

:eusa_eh:

What is the good cancer to have?

I wish there was "fat cancer." I want someone to remove my love handles.

I wish it also.

When my father was on his deathbed and he passed, I was there with my hand in his as his last breath in this world went away. I think about him everyday and wish he was still in my life.

So don't tell me about how love for mothers is stronger then a love for a father.

My mother of 94 died last March. The last time I saw here in the nursing home, she was just fine, but I was concerned, because it was the very first time she didn't get out of bed. I didn't think anything of it, but later I talked to my sister, who told me she had them remove the feeding tube. I went there afterwards. She was not conscious, but before I realized that, I said, "Mom, mom."

Fortunately, my sister had told me in time, when my dad died at 90, for me to visit him the day before he died at Stanford Hospital. I went into his room, and he grabbed his glasses, and said, "Mark!" :(

So don't tell me about how love for mothers is stronger then a love for a father.

My mother of 94 died last March. The last time I saw here in the nursing home, she was just fine, but I was concerned, because it was the very first time she didn't get out of bed. I didn't think anything of it, but later I talked to my sister, who told me she had them remove the feeding tube. I went there afterwards. She was not conscious, but before I realized that, I said, "Mom, mom."

Fortunately, my sister had told me in time, when my dad died at 90, for me to visit him the day before he died at Stanford Hospital. I went into his room, and he grabbed his glasses, and said, "Mark!" :(

I've never been present at anyone's death - that must be really hard to take. I was in NH when my mom had a stroke and died in Texas, and was in Ca when my father passed away, while recovering from surgery. It was a shock but probably a lot easier to take than being there at the moment of their death.

I've never been present at anyone's death - that must be really hard to take. I was in NH when my mom had a stroke and died in Texas, and was in Ca when my father passed away, while recovering from surgery. It was a shock but probably a lot easier to take than being there at the moment of their death.

I couldn't go back for my mom or dad after the last time I saw them. I just couldn't. I was content that they were both happy and still. It's just too bad I couldn't bring my dog Muffin with me to the nursing home the last time so my mom could feed her steak one more time.

Where is your family from? How old were your parents when they died? Sorry to hear that. :(

My father was sick, in a long term care facility and on that sometimes long road downhill. He didn't always remember us when we went into his room but we had phrases only he and I would know and whenever I would say them he would say "Bobby! How are you!". I remember about a month before he passed he looked into my eyes and said "Bobby, get me out of here." I didn't understand at the time so I said "Dad, you're here where doctors and nurses can take care of you".

Later I realized he was telling me he didn't want to die among strangers.

If I had it to do over I would have taken him out of there and to my home where I could be with him 24/7 until the passed. But I was stupid and didn't know.

And that is the cross I carry to this day.

Last edited:
My father was sick, in a long term care facility and on that sometimes long road downhill. He didn't always remember us when we went into his room but we had phrases only he and I would know and whenever I would say them he would say "Bobby! How are you!". I remember about a month before he passed he looked into my eyes and said "Bobby, get me out of here." I didn't understand at the time so I said "Dad, you're here where doctors and nurses can take care of you".

If I had it to do over I would have taken him out of there and to my home where I could be with him 24/7 until the passed. But I was stupid and didn't know.

That happened with my mom too. She asked me a few times about going home, but I had done that at least a couple of times when she was in a home for breaking her hip. The second time she broke her hip, I found out also, she had been fighting with staff. She also had fallen idk 3 times at home in the last 5 years. I couldn't take her home.

I couldn't go back for my mom or dad after the last time I saw them. I just couldn't. I was content that they were both happy and still. It's just too bad I couldn't bring my dog Muffin with me to the nursing home the last time so my mom could feed her steak one more time.

Where is your family from? How old were your parents when they died? Sorry to hear that. :(

Who I am, where I live or ages of people involved are not important. The passing of a parent, as with spouses, children and siblings, are deep and moving, sometimes forgiving, sometimes not.

My mom had been ill for some time, had a stroke and couldn't speak, so my last visits with her were sad, because she couldn't talk to me. I could see she was excited to see me by her expressions, but it's tough not to be able to talk. My dad died a few years after she died. They were both pretty young - early 70's, and both born and raised in Texas. They never lived anywhere else.

That happened with my mom too. She asked me a few times about going home, but I had done that at least a couple of times when she was in a home for breaking her hip. The second time she broke her hip, I found out also, she had been fighting with staff. She also had fallen idk 3 times at home in the last 5 years. I couldn't take her home.

I understand.

Forum List

Back