Photographing Fairies

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The fantasy history-based film "Photographing Fairies" (1997) presents themes of folklore such as possession, paganism, animism, hallucinogens, parapsychology, and fairies and was inspired by the famous Cottingley Fairies hoax.

The Cottingley Fairies incident involved two young girls in England who claimed to have photographs of seemingly tiny humanoid creatures moving around with flapping wings. These fairy creatures were dispelled as fakes, and the photographs dismissed as hoaxes, but the event stirred the curiosity of the likes of Sherlock Holmes detective story author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Photography is a delicate but deliberate art. It involves the use of a device, a camera, to take still-like images from the real world and in real time and without physics or geometric manipulation. Photos are not impressions or images of objects like paintings but rather interpretations of the real orientation of real objects in the real world.

Photographs may be simple and straightforward for historical purposes (i.e., National Geographic Society) or they may be the work of artistic photographers (i.e., Ansel Adams) who intend to re-present real objects in terms of a psychic fascination with perception itself.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and these days, it seems almost everyone is walking around with a mobile phone with a handy-dandy built-in mini-camera inside it, making photography a 'pedestrian art.' Photo-sharing websites such as Flickr and Facebook cater to this modern artisanship colloquialization trend.

The real philosophical value of the Cottingley Fairies photos is that they invite scholars and artists alike to investigate the social forces that create curiosity about psychology.

:eusa_think:

Cottingley Fairies - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

cot-fair.jpg

The Mood Merchant

This thread is definitely about the perspective creativity offered by the art of photography.

"I dreamt one night that I was a civil servant named Yuri in Communist Russia. I had a menial job, and like a number of others, I was quietly disenchated by the policies of the government. I managed a small photo store in Moscow where I sold photo negative reprints blown up into full-size pictures and portraits. These negatives were purchased by customers looking to obtain a more nostalgic and sentimental view of family memories, perhaps of deceased loved ones. The negative-reprint portraits made the figures in the photos look like ghosts and spirits, and it gave a humble but meaningful spiritual stimulant to the everyday people of Moscow."

:50:

The fantasy history-based film "Photographing Fairies" (1997) presents themes of folklore such as possession, paganism, animism, hallucinogens, parapsychology, and fairies and was inspired by the famous Cottingley Fairies hoax.

The Cottingley Fairies incident involved two young girls in England who claimed to have photographs of seemingly tiny humanoid creatures moving around with flapping wings. These fairy creatures were dispelled as fakes, and the photographs dismissed as hoaxes, but the event stirred the curiosity of the likes of Sherlock Holmes detective story author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Photography is a delicate but deliberate art. It involves the use of a device, a camera, to take still-like images from the real world and in real time and without physics or geometric manipulation. Photos are not impressions or images of objects like paintings but rather interpretations of the real orientation of real objects in the real world.

Photographs may be simple and straightforward for historical purposes (i.e., National Geographic Society) or they may be the work of artistic photographers (i.e., Ansel Adams) who intend to re-present real objects in terms of a psychic fascination with perception itself.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and these days, it seems almost everyone is walking around with a mobile phone with a handy-dandy built-in mini-camera inside it, making photography a 'pedestrian art.' Photo-sharing websites such as Flickr and Facebook cater to this modern artisanship colloquialization trend.

The real philosophical value of the Cottingley Fairies photos is that they invite scholars and artists alike to investigate the social forces that create curiosity about psychology.

View attachment 33180

I think normally people ARE skeptical when they see photos like that and do not automatically by into the hoax. Of course there are always going to be some ignorant or naive people who believe it.

I remember when there were pictures of a supposed Big Foot. I was like oh man, how many people are going to believe this now? Lol. Of course it was a hoax, just a custom in a cooler.

Some photos have nothing to do with art but are more about trying to scam people, like the fairies mentioned by OP and the Big Foot photos I mentioned above. Same with most ghost pictures. People are trying to make money off of them. Lol.

View attachment 33180

I think Ive seen that pic before but never knew the story behind it. Kind of explains some of the fascination with fairies today.
Now all that is easily done with a computer.

...and just say no to pink spandex lol

Forum List

Back