Petraeus Says Florida Church Koran Burning Threatens Troops

A trillion dollar defense budget vs. a bunch of hooligans with Ak47s and home made bombs and a church burning Korans presents some sort of threat to the troops?

Who the fuck is running this operation and why are we getting screwed?

Thats an interesting question, I wonder if we picked our "allies " against the "radicals" arbitrarily as based on the length of their beards or their willingness to refrain from screaming death to America?

Did anyone do any research as to the ideology we objected to and why .
And if so did they make any domestic policies decisions to make sure it doesn't spread locally?

No ? they started immigration plans for whole groups of people with no particular ideological bent, wow that was smart.

It does have a bearing on military operations. The reason why he commented is because he is seeing an increase in hostility to American troops in Afghanistan directly. There is cause and effect. Yes, Muslim radicals will always want to attack us, but not every single Muslim extremist is going to attack at every single second. Everyone has a tipping point, and demonstrations of intolerant hostility - which is what these braindead rednecks burning Korans are doing - will push many more over the edge to think it is now worthy of risking their lives by trying to kill American troops.

Yeah. Right.

Some radical Muslim in Kabul cruising the internet reads that some pastor in Florida is going to burn the Koran so flies into a rage with "Allahdammit! We have to do something about this!" so he texts his buddies, and the next thing you know, otherwise peaceful Muslims are attacking US soldiers.

Sure.

I can see that.

:eusa_whistle:

I was always told that our soldiers are there to protect and defend our rights from all who threaten them.

Perhaps Patraeus is too deep in the trees to still see the forest.
Or maybe he cares about the safety of our soldiers?

What good would it have done during ww2 to demonize all Asians and thereby categorize them with the Japanese? Oh, none.

Sure, the "christian" pastor is entitled to be a fucktard. But that doesn't make it a good thing.

But how incredibly funny to watch the rightwingloons applaud something that endangers the troops. :lol:

It does have a bearing on military operations. The reason why he commented is because he is seeing an increase in hostility to American troops in Afghanistan directly. There is cause and effect. Yes, Muslim radicals will always want to attack us, but not every single Muslim extremist is going to attack at every single second. Everyone has a tipping point, and demonstrations of intolerant hostility - which is what these braindead rednecks burning Korans are doing - will push many more over the edge to think it is now worthy of risking their lives by trying to kill American troops.

Yeah. Right.

Some radical Muslim in Kabul cruising the internet reads that some pastor in Florida is going to burn the Koran so flies into a rage with "Allahdammit! We have to do something about this!" so he texts his buddies, and the next thing you know, otherwise peaceful Muslims are attacking US soldiers.

Sure.

I can see that.

Yeah, WTF does that liberal Gen. Petraeus know what he's fucking talking about!

You miss the point, pal. It's gonna be something.

Or, to put it another way: do you honestly believe, in your heart of hearts, that there would be NO ATTACKS against US troops if the book burning was canceled?

I don't question General Petraeus' competency as a commander. I do have to wonder why he strayed into a topic that is purely political and is not connected to military operations. Weather, terrain, troops, equipment, opportunity, logistics, intelligence and time available have everything to do with military operations. The actions of some wacko pastor half a world away do not.

My guess is that the General was offering a personal opinion that got twisted into a political statement. But if I had to put money on it, I'd bet that General Petraeus doesn't stay up at night worried whether or not some wacko is going to burn a stack of Korans.

Your mileage may differ.

I agree.

Burning Korans is stupid, hateful and un-Christian.

Unfortunately, according to the left NO ONE should try speak out against them because they have a constitutional right to freedom of expression.

Too bad, because I think we could have done some good here. :eusa_silenced:
I think, no....I know you're stretching to make some cheap political points here. Too bad because you're missing the point.

Speaking for myself, an avowed Lefty, I can tell you that you should speak out against the idiot wishing to burn Korans. Political speech should be heard from everyone.

Ah so do voice your opinion on this one, but keep your mouth shut about how you feel about a mosque at ground zero.

Thanks for clarifying what we are allowed to voice our opinion on and what we should shut up about.

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Afghan protesters chanted "death to America" and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its military convoy. Some of the protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy, although officials told the rock-throwers to stop.

Military officials fear the protests are likely to spread beyond Kabul to other Afghan cities. In interviews with various media outlets, Mr. Jones has denied his protest will put troops in danger. Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration but has said he plans to go forward with the his protest anyway.

Mr. Jones leads a tiny church of just 50 people, but his threat to burn the Muslim holy book has been condemned around the world and has garnered him international attention.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on precisely what kinds of threats or violence could occur in the wake of such a demonstration. But westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places as tensions arise over the matter.

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Who are you going to believe, General Petraeus or this dumbass pastor?
I have to wonder what does someone that does this hope to accomplish. Can't they see that the only possible result is stirring up hatred among those that we have to depend on in this war.
Really Stupid!!

I was always told that our soldiers are there to protect and defend our rights from all who threaten them.

What good would it have done during ww2 to demonize all Asians and thereby categorize them with the Japanese? Oh, none.

Sure, the "christian" pastor is entitled to be a fucktard. But that doesn't make it a good thing.

But how incredibly funny to watch the rightwingloons applaud something that endangers the troops. :lol:

I'm pretty sure you included the wrong quote, because you couldn't have been responding to me since I never said it was a good thing, I'm not rightwing, and I've applauded nothing.

Syrenn is spot on. If our soldiers are put in more danger because of this than they are already in then we got some serious problems with our military.

If the "friends" we have are so easily turned into enemies perhaps we should reevaluate how we chose friends

If the "friends" we have are so easily turned into enemies perhaps we should reevaluate how we chose friends

or at least how we treat our friends...could be that this is the "flaw" when we change US leadership every 4 to 8 years.

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Afghan protesters chanted "death to America" and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its military convoy. Some of the protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy, although officials told the rock-throwers to stop.

Military officials fear the protests are likely to spread beyond Kabul to other Afghan cities. In interviews with various media outlets, Mr. Jones has denied his protest will put troops in danger. Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration but has said he plans to go forward with the his protest anyway.

Mr. Jones leads a tiny church of just 50 people, but his threat to burn the Muslim holy book has been condemned around the world and has garnered him international attention.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on precisely what kinds of threats or violence could occur in the wake of such a demonstration. But westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places as tensions arise over the matter.

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Who are you going to believe, General Petraeus or this dumbass pastor?

It doesn't matter what is done they will still be pissed until every jew has been exterminated, or converted and their religion is the religion of the world. So I sa screw thewm and burn their books.

This is some piss ant church burning some stupid Korans. Not like they don't burn our flag all the time. If it blows up there and our military is in danger because of it, then we better start seeing the light of the real world.

AND if no one is catching on to this, its a bit of psyop terrorism on their part. If you don't stop the piss ant church from burning our idiot koeran, we are going to KILL YOU!

Its about trying to CONTROL what is going on in the US. Creeping sharia. Dont forget that burning korans is going to be a FATAWA call for all of our infidel deaths ...again.

Burn the damn things, that is OUR right of free speech in THIS country.

I have to wonder what does someone that does this hope to accomplish. Can't they see that the only possible result is stirring up hatred among those that we have to depend on in this war.
Really Stupid!!

I dont want to have to depend on an allie whose loyalty is based on the length of their bread.
Lets call off the war until they can figure out who the enemy is and why.

This is some piss ant church burning some stupid Korans. Not like they don't burn our flag all the time. If it blows up there and our military is in danger because of it, then we better start seeing the light of the real world.

AND if no one is catching on to this, its a bit of psyop terrorism on their part. If you don't stop the piss ant church from burning our idiot koeran, we are going to KILL YOU!

Its about trying to CONTROL what is going on in the US. Creeping sharia. Dont forget that burning korans is going to be a FATAWA call for all of our infidel deaths ...again.

:eusa_eh: That's fine and all and would be believable if most of the rightwingloons didn't melt down over a mosque.

You can slam whomever you please...but it doesn't make it right.

But then again, I'm not the one peeing her pants over what terrorists say.

:eusa_eh: That's fine and all and would be believable if most of the rightwingloons didn't melt down over a mosque.

You can slam whomever you please...but it doesn't make it right.

But then again, I'm not the one peeing her pants over what terrorists say.

71 % of New York residents are rightwingloons?

I had no idea.

September 1, 2010 3:15 PM
By a 71 percent to 21 percent majority, voters in New York state agree "that because of the opposition of Ground Zero relatives, the Muslim group should voluntarily build the mosque somewhere else," according to a Quinnipiac poll released yesterday. Among voters in New York City, 63 percent say the community center should be moved, while the sentiment is stronger among suburban and upstate voters.

The General is right. It will probably put our troops at some amount of increased risk, However as you on the left love to point out. These ignorant assholes have EVERY right to exercise their Freedom of expression and religion by Burning the Koran. Just as you left wing assholes can burn the American Flag when ever you get your panties in a bunch.

If you truly believe in freedom of Expression and Religion then you have to be willing to tolerate even the worst kind of Hateful speech and stupid acts of expression or you are not actually supporting freedom at all.

Yet there is a good thing out there to make up for this bad thing this group is doing by burning Qur'ans. As a result of this desecration, those peace loving and friendly Muslims get to show their tolerance and ability to forgive.

Several hundred Afghans chanting "Death to America" rallied outside a mosque in the Afghan capital on Monday to protest against an American church's plan to burn a copy of the Koran on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran | World | Reuters

:razz:

Your problem is you think they are justified, while the group in FL is wrong, the truth is they are both wrong. Funny thing though, only one of those groups wants to kill you, and it ain't the scumbag Christians you keep sneering at.

You miss the point, pal. It's gonna be something.

Or, to put it another way: do you honestly believe, in your heart of hearts, that there would be NO ATTACKS against US troops if the book burning was canceled?

No, of course not. But I think you miss the point. The point is that there are going to be more attacks because of this.

I don't question General Petraeus' competency as a commander. I do have to wonder why he strayed into a topic that is purely political and is not connected to military operations. Weather, terrain, troops, equipment, opportunity, logistics, intelligence and time available have everything to do with military operations. The actions of some wacko pastor half a world away do not.

My guess is that the General was offering a personal opinion that got twisted into a political statement. But if I had to put money on it, I'd bet that General Petraeus doesn't stay up at night worried whether or not some wacko is going to burn a stack of Korans.

Your mileage may differ.

The reason why is because this book burning is stirring up animosity in the Islamic world. Patraeus has said that this is putting his troops into danger. He's there on the ground. He sees it. You must ask yourself, why would perhaps the most respected general of his generation uncharacteristically make a comment about some wackjob church, a civilian matter? Is he wrong in what he is seeing on the ground and what is being reported every day, or are you wrong in your assumptions and preconceived notions? In all due respect, the opinions of a highly respected general telling me that something is putting his troops in danger carries greater weight than someone with little knowledge of the current situation - meaning me and you and everyone commenting in this thread.

Read the article again. That bozo preacher is being interviewed around the world. He is bringing international condemnation. In the same way that there are whackjobs here on this board believing that Muslim extremists are representative of Islam as a whole, you have similar extremists overseas thinking that nutter preachers burning korans is representative of American Christianity. And this is being broadcast to the broader Muslim population. And I'm sorry, American troops will absolutely not win fighting a war in Islamic countries if the broad population is against them.

Last edited:
[

Wrong, the people who oppose the Ground Zero Mosque never asked the government for anything.

That is an outright lie. Either that or you're ignorant of the facts. Opponents of the mosque DID try to get the government to declare the mosque site a historic landmark as a weasel attempt to block it.

That is a stretch. If you bothered to listen to most of right talking heads instead of following it on the news they were making fun of the extremists for trying to make a Men's Warehouse an historical landmark.

Most of the people who spoke out against the building of the mosque stated the same thing many people are stating here. Just because you can does not mean you should.

Forum List

Back