Pesto

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Does anyone have a perfect recipe for pesto?

My peeps are driving up tomorrow and the time they arrive cannot be narrowed down anymore than late afternoon and then they are going to turn around and drive back. I'm thinking a cold chicken and pesto sandwich set up. I hate pesto in a jar.

From the Joy of Cooking. I grate the Parmesan myself--a lot more flavor.
It does freeze well in ice cube trays if one cup is more than you need for your sammies. Have fun with your peeps!

Pesto
about 1 cup
If you are dealing with a large pile of basil, pick the leaves, figure out how much you have with a 1-cup measure, and scale up the other ingredients accordingly. For shopping purposes, the amount of basil leaves pictured above (gathered from two full-grown plants) required me to make 6 batches of this recipe.

Combine in a food processor and process to a rough paste:
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan
1⁄3 cup pine nuts, hazelnuts, almonds, or a combination
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
With the machine running, slowly add:
1⁄2 cup olive oil, or as needed
If the pesto seems dry (it should be a thick paste), add a little more olive oil. Season to taste with:
Salt and black pepper
Use immediately, or pour a very thin film of olive oil over the top, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Or, as discussed above, freeze in an ice cube tray, covered. Knock out for storing into a zip-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Doubling the recipe will fill up an ice cube tray.

You have just been deified. Thank you.

Another thing to consider is pesto over chicken and pasta.

Cook your noodles add chicken and toss with the pesto (uncooked and warmed up by the hot noodles.)

Wrap it or cover with a oven safe lid , with a touch of water and keep warm in the oven.

any young ones?

Make some of these

13012756_10153779207420756_1019230460741295120_n.jpg

any young ones?

Make some of these

I know a couple of picky, vegetable hating kids who would have a lot of fun making these (and hopefully then eating at least part of them). Thanks!

They will probably eat the chocolate eyes, pretzel, few licks of the peanut butter and leave the rest...:lol:
Very possible. But I tried a similar trick making strawberry Santas and one of them who eats nothing but toast and chicken ate half the strawberries. Okay, he rolled them in the sugar bowl, but what the hell, he got the vitamins.

any young ones?

Make some of these

Those are cute. I wish. I have a 10 year old coming who is enamored with the alleged posh-ness of adulthood.

Cook your noodles add chicken and toss with the pesto (uncooked and warmed up by the hot noodles.)

Wrap it or cover with a oven safe lid , with a touch of water and keep warm in the oven.

That is an excellent idea.

any young ones?

Make some of these

Those are cute. I wish. I have a 10 year old coming who is enamored with the alleged posh-ness of adulthood.

If he's 10, he may still be kid enough to like them.

any young ones?

Make some of these

If it was a he then I could but it's a she. She and my son will pick on each other. He will, inevitably, chide her about her being a kid and she will, inevitably, point out he is still a kid. Game on. If she touches that it will be proof in the puddin' no matter how much she wants to otherwise. She just had a birthday and is no longer a single digit. Mine is 14 and well...........

any young ones?

Make some of these

If it was a he then I could but it's a she. She and my son will pick on each other. He will, inevitably, chide her about her being a kid and she will, inevitably, point out he is still a kid. Game on. If she touches that it will be proof in the puddin' no matter how much she wants to otherwise. She just had a birthday and is no longer a single digit. Mine is 14 and well...........
Sounds like you might need to stop in the Coffee Shop later and give Ernie an order.

Use pinenuts. Anything else is sacrilege.

Forum List

Back