" Personal Responsibility," a conservative mantra- or is it??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maple, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Definition of mandate:

'A judicial command, order, or precept, written or oral, from a court; a direction that a court has the authority to give and an individual is bound to obey."

Did you know that wearing clothing in public is a mandate in all 50 states??

Did you know that having a valid driver's licence to drive a car- is a mandate in most states??

Did you know that it is mandated that an individual provides care for their children, housing, food and clothing or be jailed for neglect?

Conservatives "tout" personal responsibility, yet are reluctant to enforce it with a mandate. Do they think they can wish it true?

I am totally against Obamacare as it is a federal takeover of healthcare, but I am not against a state mandate and state control of healthcare. Personally, I have become sick and tired of paying for people who show up in our emergency rooms, drove their new car there, come in with the latest version of the I-pad, while I pick up the tab for their medical costs through higher premiums and higher taxes. What say you? Are you a conservative who believes in " personal responsibility," and if so, how are you going to implement "personal responsibility," when it comes to health care without a mandate to do so? Wish it true?

2. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    I am waiting- conservatives for your reply.

3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    it is not a takeover of the healthcare system no matter how many times you repete that lie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,778
    Personal responsibility is a moral value and it has nothing to do with which side of the isle your on.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Then quit pretending it is

6. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    It is a total and complete takeover of healthcare because it is designed to throw us all into a medicaid type system whether we like it or not. That's a fact.

Also it can not be a one size fits all. Different states have different rates of disease, for instance, in my state we have a higher incidence of MS, whereas Kentucky has a higher incidence of Obesity and type II diabetes. Car insurance takes the rate of accidents by using zip codes and determines from those stats what you are quoted for car insurance. Health insurance does the same thing, it takes the rate and incidence of the disease in your area, the cost of treatment for those diseases, in your area and determines the quote. A national " one size fits all system will never, ever work. It is a state issue- period- not a national one.

What say you about " personal responsibility" and the mandate to purchase your own health care plan?

7. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    I am tired of paying for other people's immorality. If they want to be immoral that's fine with me as long as they do it on their OWN DIME.

8. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I think you're confusing Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare is the national program (primarily for the elderly), Medicaid (primarily for poor children and women) is the one that varies from state-to-state, is run by state governments, and is individualized to that state's particular needs.

Anyway, unless you're low-income, you're not going to be eligible for Medicaid.

9. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    Dunno about 'Conservatives', but the mandate is the opposite of personal responsibility. Personal responsibility is about making your own decisions and being accountable for the outcome. The mandate takes the decision away from the individual and the makes the state accountable for the outcome.

10. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    You will be thrown into a medicaid type system should Obama care be implemented, that is my entire point. Employers will dump their coverage of their employees as it will not be advantageous to cover them anymore, it will be cheaper to dump them into a national program. Don't believe me, look at all the waivers that Pelosi and Obama have given to Union shops and restuarants that they like, it's all over the place, it you are a favored person, you get the waiver, it not, you get to pay.