Personal damage

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I want to take a moment and look at presidential aspirant Donald Trump's latest shenanigan from an entirely different perspective. And I hope that adults here will actually read the OP, think and then comment like real adults.

After Trump called Mexicans "rapists", "drug dealers" and "murderers" and saying of Jeb Bush: "who the hell is gonna vote for this guy?!?" AT HIS PRESIDENTIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SPEECH and since then laying into every candidate he can, after saying that John McCain is not a war hero and then backtracking and saying that well, yeah, he's a hero because he got captured and he (Trump) prefers those who didn't get captured, yadayadayada, we have seen a true-blue food-fight emerge in the GOP, somewhat on the level of 7th graders in the lunchroom.

Now, insulting other candidates is nothing new, but slick politicians have found ways to do this and still do their best to maintain the image that even in the moment that they are insulting someone, they are above the fray. When more than one GOPer, upon being asked if President Obama is really a Christian, answered with "I'll have to take him at his word", that's a nasty insult, but couched in nice words, not at the level of gutter-sluts. And there is plausible deniability in the insult. Bill Clinton insulted Bob Dole in 1996 at the debates when, asked if age played a role in Dole's electability, Clinton answered with "I don't question his age. I question the age of his ideas". Of course Clinton questioned Bob Dole's age, but this was a way to word it without actually having worded it.

So, I'm not under the illusion that pols don't insult each other. They do. In fact, they do it quite regularly. Hell, you should see how rough and tumble it gets in the English House of Commons (their rough equivalent to our House of Representatives)! And pols on all sides have been insulting each other over a long time. This is not just a Republican thing, to be sure.

But Donald Trump took it to new lows yesterday when he released Senator Lindsay Graham's private cell-phone number.

First, Don Trump is definitely one of the richer people in this world, boasting of total assets around 10 Billion. Good for him. That's a big heap of $$$.

But each and every senator is one of the 110-120 most powerful people in our country. No shit. Think about it. After the President, the Vice-President and the Speaker of the HOR (next in line of succession in case of death or removal from office), certain members of the cabinet (like the SOS and SOD) and CIA upper-ups, all 100 Senators would be the next most important people in our country: the life and death of many a law hangs on just 100 elected Senators. It's been said more than once that each Senator gets up in the morning, looks in the mirror and sees a future President standing before him. So, whether or not you like any one certain Senator, he possesses a power that only 100 individuals have in any congressional term and for better or worse, was duly elected by voters from his or her state.

Therefore, giving out the personal, private cellphone number of a sitting (or former, for that member) Senator is no trivial thing to do.

Let's analyse how Trump did this. Here is the video:

Trump starts by saying that Lindsay Graham introduced himself to Trump four years ago and asked Trump to pass along his name to FOX and FRIENDS. Trump went on to say that Graham "begged" for Trump to do this (give him a good reference to FOX and FRIENDS) and then gave Trump his number. He says a lot in between about how he gives everyone money to in order to wield influence. Well, ok. There is a hell of a lot of ego in that, but that's nothing new from Don Trump.

The psychology that Trump is using is something like "I'm the bigger dog than you, so I'm gonna piss on you and neenerneenerneener, you can't do a fucking thing about it". I think that pretty much encapsulates Don Trump. That's it.

And I can live with that, too. That's his style and if that brings him mojo, well, hell, ok.

Now, back to the video:

1:43 "So, Lindsay Graham says to me, please, please, whatever you can do, uhm, now, I'm saying to myself, 'what's this guy, a beggar?', he's like begging me to help him with FOX and FRIENDS. So, I say 'ok' and 'I'll mention your name'. He said 'could you mention my name' and I said 'yes, I'll men--' and he gave me his number and I found the card! I wrote the number down, I don't know if it's the right number, let's try it 202- (laughter begins) 228-XXXX (big laughter), I don't know, maybe, you know, it's been three or four years ago, so maybe it's an old number, 202-228-XXXX. Soooo, I don't know, give it a shot...."

Yepp, that's definitely in the category of "I'm the bigger dog than you, so I'm gonna piss on you and neenerneenerneener, you can't do a fucking thing about it". And in this case, Trump pissed on Graham in his own back yard. Well, ok, he can do that, too. It's a free country. And indeed, Graham has insulted Trump more than once. But he didn't give out Trump's private number.

And - this is a presidential candidate we are talking about here. Wow.

Now, back to Trump's moment in Ames, Iowa last Saturday, just four days ago:

Trump insults a war hero Page 8 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

In that posting, I did a transcript of the key moments of that 26 minute performance:

11:24 "I've contributed to everybody, they've done whatever I said"

EGO!!!

13:10 (about Jeb Bush) "can you imagine this guy negotiating with China? Who would you rather have negotiating with China - Trump, or Bush?"

EGO!!!

13:37 Questioner no. 2: How does his faith influence how he raises his children? The Don says he was very strict with his children over alcohol, drugs and cigarettes.

16:00 "I was a great father"

EGO!!!

16:53 "I know all of the successful people in the world"

EGO!!!

17:15 "Love the Mexican people, thousands of them work for me!"

EGO!!!

18:02 "I know the richest people in the world, I know the toughest people in the world..."

EGO!!!

19:44 Luntz: "What is your relationship with G-d?" Trump: "Well, I pray, I go to church, I do things that are wrong...I'm a business person, I am really great at deals, I own some of the greatest properties in the world... I think G-d helped me" :wtf:

Ok, let's take Donald Trump at his word. If he really knows all of the most important people in the world, then I wonder how they might feel about him giving out someone's private telepone number during an event that was video'd, as a sort of revenge in the middle of a sophomoric food-fight? I wonder how many of those super-rich people, who have also probably given Donald Trump their telephone number, feel about this. And I wonder if they will trust him in the future.

What Trump did may have been good for his form of in-your-face, reality show politics. But it certainly was bad business sense. And he claims to be a great businessman, right?

So, :wtf: ?

It may win him the nomination or at least cause a hung convention, but it won't win him a General Election.

Just imagine a "Pres. Trump", in possession of "the nuclear briefcase". Just imagine that.

And in 3 or 4 years, surely we will hear how the Clinton camp relished every single one of these trumpian-moments. I bet the Clinton team is whooping with glee every moment the Don opens his mouth somewhere. I bet good money that in 3 or 4 years, a book about the Clinton team will come out and a great deal of it will be a recounting of the "Trump factor".

What a circus.

So, back to the OP title itself: did Donald Trump even consider the damage he did to himself yesterday?

I doubt it.

And BTW, did any other GOP candidate make his way to the front page anywhere yesterday? The day before? The day before that? Where are they? Why, they are getting buried with more and more Trumpian Neutron Bombs. That's what is happening to them. As a Democrat, I am glad to see their ship already hitting rocky shores, but as a citizen, I do think it's a shame that our process is getting cheapened this much by an ultra-rich person who will still be ultra-rich and will laugh all the way to the bank. Or maybe not...

Discuss. Is it cool for a candidate to give out private information like this?

Last edited:
What's the harm? Anyone can change their phone number with a simple call to their service provider. In my opinion, it's petty shit not worth air time on the news. It's just early campaign season, and every word is blown up to infer whatever will get laughs or possible votes. Does anyone actually believe that what's said during campaign season is anything other than verbal warfare? People get too wrapped up in this petty back-and-forth sparing. Trump isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before in campaigns. Only difference I see, is trump is saying things that others are afraid to say. All the rest are too damn politically correct, vote whores, and trying to go by scripted time proven BS to sway the general public. Trump is taking the campaign outside the box of usual political rhetoric.

I want to take a moment and look at presidential aspirant Donald Trump's latest shenanigan from an entirely different perspective. And I hope that adults here will actually read the OP, think and then comment like real adults.

After Trump called Mexicans "rapists", "drug dealers" and "murderers" and saying of Jeb Bush: "who the hell is gonna vote for this guy?!?" AT HIS PRESIDENTIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SPEECH and since then laying into every candidate he can, after saying that John McCain is not a war hero and then backtracking and saying that well, yeah, he's a hero because he got captured and he (Trump) prefers those who didn't get captured, yadayadayada, we have seen a true-blue food-fight emerge in the GOP, somewhat on the level of 7th graders in the lunchroom.

Now, insulting other candidates is nothing new, but slick politicians have found ways to do this and still do their best to maintain the image that even in the moment that they are insulting someone, they are above the fray. When more than one GOPer, upon being asked if President Obama is really a Christian, answered with "I'll have to take him at his word", that's a nasty insult, but couched in nice words, not at the level of gutter-sluts. And there is plausible deniability in the insult. Bill Clinton insulted Bob Dole in 1996 at the debates when, asked if age played a role in Dole's electability, Clinton answered with "I don't question his age. I question the age of his ideas". Of course Clinton questioned Bob Dole's age, but this was a way to word it without actually having worded it.

So, I'm not under the illusion that pols don't insult each other. They do. In fact, they do it quite regularly. Hell, you should see how rough and tumble it gets in the English House of Commons (their rough equivalent to our House of Representatives)! And pols on all sides have been insulting each other over a long time. This is not just a Republican thing, to be sure.

But Donald Trump took it to new lows yesterday when he released Senator Lindsay Graham's private cell-phone number.

First, Don Trump is definitely one of the richer people in this world, boasting of total assets around 10 Billion. Good for him. That's a big heap of $$$.

But each and every senator is one of the 110-120 most powerful people in our country. No shit. Think about it. After the President, the Vice-President and the Speaker of the HOR (next in line of succession in case of death or removal from office), certain members of the cabinet (like the SOS and SOD) and CIA upper-ups, all 100 Senators would be the next most important people in our country: the life and death of many a law hangs on just 100 elected Senators. It's been said more than once that each Senator gets up in the morning, looks in the mirror and sees a future President standing before him. So, whether or not you like any one certain Senator, he possesses a power that only 100 individuals have in any congressional term and for better or worse, was duly elected by voters from his or her state.

Therefore, giving out the personal, private cellphone number of a sitting (or former, for that member) Senator is no trivial thing to do.

Let's analyse how Trump did this. Here is the video:

Trump starts by saying that Lindsay Graham introduced himself to Trump four years ago and asked Trump to pass along his name to FOX and FRIENDS. Trump went on to say that Graham "begged" for Trump to do this (give him a good reference to FOX and FRIENDS) and then gave Trump his number. He says a lot in between about how he gives everyone money to in order to wield influence. Well, ok. There is a hell of a lot of ego in that, but that's nothing new from Don Trump.

The psychology that Trump is using is something like "I'm the bigger dog than you, so I'm gonna piss on you and neenerneenerneener, you can't do a fucking thing about it". I think that pretty much encapsulates Don Trump. That's it.

And I can live with that, too. That's his style and if that brings him mojo, well, hell, ok.

Now, back to the video:

1:43 "So, Lindsay Graham says to me, please, please, whatever you can do, uhm, now, I'm saying to myself, 'what's this guy, a beggar?', he's like begging me to help him with FOX and FRIENDS. So, I say 'ok' and 'I'll mention your name'. He said 'could you mention my name' and I said 'yes, I'll men--' and he gave me his number and I found the card! I wrote the number down, I don't know if it's the right number, let's try it 202- (laughter begins) 228-XXXX (big laughter), I don't know, maybe, you know, it's been three or four years ago, so maybe it's an old number, 202-228-XXXX. Soooo, I don't know, give it a shot...."

Yepp, that's definitely in the category of "I'm the bigger dog than you, so I'm gonna piss on you and neenerneenerneener, you can't do a fucking thing about it". And in this case, Trump pissed on Graham in his own back yard. Well, ok, he can do that, too. It's a free country. And indeed, Graham has insulted Trump more than once. But he didn't give out Trump's private number.

But this is a presidential candidate we are talking about here. Wow.

Now, back to Trump's moment in Ames, Iowa last Saturday, just four days ago:

Trump insults a war hero Page 8 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

In that posting, I did a transcript of the key moments of that 26 minute performance:

11:24 "I've contributed to everybody, they've done whatever I said"

EGO!!!

13:10 (about Jeb Bush) "can you imagine this guy negotiating with China? Who would you rather have negotiating with China - Trump, or Bush?"

EGO!!!

13:37 Questioner no. 2: How does his faith influence how he raises his children? The Don says he was very strict with his children over alcohol, drugs and cigarettes.

16:00 "I was a great father"

EGO!!!

16:53 "I know all of the successful people in the world"

EGO!!!

17:15 "Love the Mexican people, thousands of them work for me!"

EGO!!!

18:02 "I know the richest people in the world, I know the toughest people in the world..."

EGO!!!

19:44 Luntz: "What is your relationship with G-d?" Trump: "Well, I pray, I go to church, I do things that are wrong...I'm a business person, I am really great at deals, I own some of the greatest properties in the world... I think G-d helped me" :wtf:

Ok, let's take Donald Trump at his word. If he really knows all of the most important people in the world, then I wonder how they might feel about him giving out someone's private telepone number during an event that was video'd, as a sort of revenge in the middle of a sophomoric food-fight? I wonder how many of those super-rich people, who have also probably given Donald Trump their telephone number, feel about this. And I wonder if they will trust him in the future.

What Trump did may have been good for his form of in-your-face, reality show politics. But it certainly was bad business sense. And he claims to be a great businessman, right?

So, :wtf: ?

It may win him the nomination or at least cause a hung convention, but it won't win him a General Election.

Just imagine a "Pres. Trump", in possession of "the nuclear briefcase". Just imagine that.

And in 3 or 4 years, surely we will hear how the Clinton camp relished every single one of these trumpian-moments. I bet the Clinton team is whooping with glee every moment the Don opens his mouth somewhere. I bet good money that in 3 or 4 years, a book about the Clinton team will come out and a great deal of it will be a recounting of the "Trump factor".

What a circus.

So, back to the OP title itself: did Donald Trump even consider the damage he did to himself yesterday?

I doubt it.

And BTW, did any other GOP candidate make his way to the front page anywhere yesterday? The day before? The day before that? Where are they? Why, they are getting buried with more and more Trumpian Neutron Bombs. That's what is happening to them. As a Democrat, I am glad to see their ship already hitting rocky shores, but as a citizen, I do think it's a shame that our process is getting cheapened this much by an ultra-rich person who will still be ultra-rich and will laugh all the way to the bank. Or maybe not...

Discuss. Is it cool for a candidate to give out private information like this?

Nobody cares about Lindsay Graham or his cell phone number. Judging by the polls - always dangerous - he did absolutely no damage to himself.

• Banned
What's the harm? Anyone can change their phone number with a simple call to their service provider. In my opinion, it's petty shit not worth air time on the news. It's just early campaign season, and every word is blown up to infer whatever will get laughs or possible votes. Does anyone actually believe that what's said during campaign season is anything other than verbal warfare? People get too wrapped up in this petty back-and-forth sparing. Trump isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before in campaigns. Only difference I see, is trump is saying things that others are afraid to say. All the rest are too damn politically correct, vote whores, and trying to go by scripted time proven BS to sway the general public. Trump is taking the campaign outside the box of usual political rhetoric.

Sure, Lindsay Graham has probably already changed his number.

But would you trust someone who passes along something you gave him in private?

Or do Righties no longer care for privacy?

I don't think its right to give out anyones phone number over the public "waves". Its just low brow. I also agree with the OP that as a democrat its fun to see Trump up there as an opponent, but as an American it does terrify me. Because of that I would never wish for a Trump/Clinton election. With such division and knowing a healthy chunk of the population supports this is disturbing. Now maybe he is a flash in the pan, but what if he isn't? What if he gets the nom and say next October 2016 there is a terrorist attack? What if Americans do as they usually do and freak out and this guy gets elected? I know its hypothetical, but not impossible. It should frighten us as decent Americans that this type of rhetoric goes on and gets favored.

Trump is like a giant vacuum sucking up all the attention through his petty antics

At a time Republican candidates should be getting their name out, the only one mentioning their name is Trump.

Gotta love The Donald.....he will trash the republican field and then walk away

Do you trust any of the others? When speaking of trust, who can you trust in government? What candidate do you trust? Are any of them honest? Are all mere whores for the establishment? Does any of them sell their souls for personal gain? If we were to go by the trust factor, we'd scratch all of the candidates off our list and stay home on election day. People are making way too much out of this BS. They're blowing every single word and action way out of proportion. Remember, honesty and politics mix like water and oil. When it comes to something as petty as the phone number, fugetaboutit.

I don't think its right to give out anyones phone number over the public "waves". Its just low brow. I also agree with the OP that as a democrat its fun to see Trump up there as an opponent, but as an American it does terrify me. Because of that I would never wish for a Trump/Clinton election. With such division and knowing a healthy chunk of the population supports this is disturbing. Now maybe he is a flash in the pan, but what if he isn't? What if he gets the nom and say next October 2016 there is a terrorist attack? What if Americans do as they usually do and freak out and this guy gets elected? I know its hypothetical, but not impossible. It should frighten us as decent Americans that this type of rhetoric goes on and gets favored.
What harm would it do if Trump were to be elected? Seriously, what harm would it do? Can this once great nation get much worse that it is now? If so, how? And who would do a better job leading this nation than Trump? Please give a name and then explain why you think they would change the entire government around to actually represent this nation and her citizens fairly and justly. Thanks.

• Banned
Do you trust any of the others? When speaking of trust, who can you trust in government? What candidate do you trust? Are any of them honest? Are all mere whores for the establishment? Does any of them sell their souls for personal gain? If we were to go by the trust factor, we'd scratch all of the candidates off our list and stay home on election day. People are making way too much out of this BS. They're blowing every single word and action way out of proportion. Remember, honesty and politics mix like water and oil. When it comes to something as petty as the phone number, fugetaboutit.

Sure, I understand you point and I also think you wrote it really, really well, Sonny Clark. You have a gift for clarity and friendliness toward people with differing opinions, something I really, really appreciate.

That being said, there is going to be a presidential election in less than 16 months, all the while we have lots of ongoing problems to sort out, and someone is going to get elected.

Would you want Donald Trump as president? I wouldn't.

And you know, giving out a political opponent's private cell number is not the end of the world. But it does beg the question: if the Don will stoop this low, how much farther will he stoop?

Can anyone here, even in his wildest dreams, have imagined Ronald Reagan giving out Bush 41s private home (landline) number on TV in 1979-1980? Would any candidate have even dared to think of doing something like that?

Sure, Lindsay Graham has probably already changed his number.

But would you trust someone who passes along something you gave him in private?

Or do Righties no longer care for privacy?

You care about privacy? You haven't ever earned enough to fill out a tax form, have you?

Sure, I understand you point and I also think you wrote it really, really well, Sonny Clark. You have a gift for clarity and friendliness toward people with differing opinions, something I really, really appreciate.

That being said, there is going to be a presidential election in less than 16 months, all the while we have lots of ongoing problems to sort out, and someone is going to get elected.

Would you want Donald Trump as president? I wouldn't.

And you know, giving out a political opponent's private cell number is not the end of the world. But it does beg the question: if the Don will stoop this low, how much farther will he stoop?

Can anyone here, even in his wildest dreams, have imagined Ronald Reagan giving out Bush 41s private home (landline) number on TV in 1979-1980? Would any candidate have even dared to think of doing something like that?

Wow, you don't want someone who isn't a leftist extremist crackpot socialist to be President? That must not have been easy for you to admit, thank you for that honesty

OP so you trust some one who deletes 30,000 e mails, fakes a head injury and when finally appears before congress says "what does it matter ?"

A person who stands behind a cheating husband for political gain?

Trump is waking up the crowd, he can't be bought, you can not shut him up and I guess the left hates that, just wait around till he starts attacking Hillary...

That's what you guys are afraid of.

He won't be nice about it like Romney was to Obama.

I think the harm is that Trump promotes the division. He isn't uniting. No matter what we think of Reagan, Bush, Carter etc they had class. They had respect. Trump doesn't. He thinks its his way or the highway, full steam ahead. I don't think Americans deep down, like that, or at least I hope they don't. As for who would be better? Any of them, either party. I wouldn't agree with most of them politically, but they have class and dignity.

OP so you trust some one who deletes 30,000 e mails, fakes a head injury and when finally appears before congress says "what does it matter ?"

Trump is waking up the crowd, he can't be bought, you can not shut him up and I guess the left hates that, just wait around till he starts attacking Hillary...

Thanks for responding. No, I am not afraid of Donald Trump. I am laughing at him.

But that's not the issue. Here, I will point you to the dicussion question, since you obviously missed it:

"Is it cool for a candidate to give out private information like this?"

My gosh, all of the candidates are just horrible. I cannot believe how dumb we are that these people can even BE where they are. SMH. :uhoh3: There is nothing I would like more than to see both democrats and republicans driven out of power. You ALL suck, IMO. :p

Thanks for responding. No, I am not afraid of Donald Trump. I am laughing at him.

But that's not the issue. Here, I will point you to the dicussion question, since you obviously missed it:

No it is not okay. It was juvenile and shitty thing to do. Goes to show that you cannot trust these people. They are untrustworthy and would just as soon stab their own mothers in the back if they think it would benefit them in any way. This is not just Trump. This goes for MOST if not ALL of our politicians. What a mess!

My gosh, all of the candidates are just horrible. I cannot believe how dumb we are that these people can even BE where they are. SMH. :uhoh3: There is nothing I would like more than to see both democrats and republicans driven out of power. You ALL suck, IMO. :p

Actually, I can understand some of that pretty well. Form a third party:

"Tits with guts!!!"

Just an idea... and no offense.... :D

Suddenly privacy is an issue for you? How's the war on drugs working out for you? Try depositing lots of cash into your bank account and see how that goes

No it is not okay. It was juvenile and shitty thing to do. Goes to show that you cannot trust these people. They are untrustworthy and would just as soon stab their own mothers in the back if they think it would benefit them in any way. This is not just Trump. This goes for MOST if not ALL of our politicians. What a mess!

it is, but it's overblown. Those people change numbers all the time anyway

I agree. What if it ends up that Donald Trump has maybe met a major contractor for materials to make nuclear weapons and the guy, in a conversation, kind of let Don Trump know where secret research for this or that is going on and then the guy, after an argument with toupee-head, refuses to do business with Donald Trump. What would prevent Don from just going on TV and in such a flippant way, to say, "well dickhead so and so, who makes nuclear parts, he was nipping at my ankles a couple of months ago and asked for help getting better transport for his secret nuclear parts factory in Reno, NV, oh, and btw, his number is blah blah blah..." ???

I mean, with a cannon this loose, anything can happen.

Forum List

Back