People destined for Heaven

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
The People's Grocery

"In West Oakland, California, where liquor stores have replaced markets, People’s Grocery is creating a healthy alternative, offering access to organic produce. Through urban gardens and local farms, People's Grocery supports a culture based on connection to the land, sustainable agricultural practices, and regenerating community."

http://www.globalonenessproject.org/videos/peoplesgrocery

Why do earth muffins always wear stocking caps? Is it because they're bald? Are they conserving energy? Are their skulls particularly fragile and need the protection?

I don't get it.

the whole "urban garden" thing is interesting. I like the idea of creating a place to farm goods under specific conditions. It's a healthy first step in creating sustainable living in harsh environments - desserts and the moon.

I didn't live in anything remotely close to being a city, but I did live in a tiny 2-bedroom low-income apartment. It was lovely with the units around the grassy, tree-shaded courtyard, and no easy access to street. But what I loved most about it (because believe me, the apartment itself was nothing to write home about, though it was certainly serviceable and well maintained) was my balcony. The balconies had window boxes, and I had rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavendar, petunias and other flowers growing there.

My little balcony was private because the tall plants provided a screen, and it smelled so wonderful.

Every neighborhood should have a place where peeps can plant a few things. I've had my kids planting flowers since they were tiny.

i have a deck garden going too. This year, i've planted two rose bushes (an orange, and one that was supposed to be blue (lavender) but is really pink), 3 tomato plants, 2 of each purple, yellow, red and green bell peppers, a peanut plant, aloe vera and a Broccoli plant still growing from last year.

in college we had a 10x20 deck that got full sun all day long. I had that bad boy decked out (HA!) with plants... I still miss that deck.

i have a deck garden going too. This year, i've planted two rose bushes (an orange, and one that was supposed to be blue (lavender) but is really pink), 3 tomato plants, 2 of each purple, yellow, red and green bell peppers, a peanut plant, aloe vera and a Broccoli plant still growing from last year.

in college we had a 10x20 deck that got full sun all day long. I had that bad boy decked out (HA!) with plants... I still miss that deck.

We have a terrace garden every year. I love that.. this year we grew a lot of herbs and some marigolds for the bunny to eat, as well as a few other flowers that I liked for their color. My husband and son do the gardening. I get to enjoy looking at it. ;)

i've never had any luck with herb gardens... well, at least.. the kind of herb one cooks with.

Forum List

Back