Pedroia beats out Morneau to win AL MVP

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Congrats Boston fans. This kid definitely deserved it.

NEW YORK -- Boston little man Dustin Pedroia won the AL MVP award Tuesday, becoming the first second baseman to earn the honor in nearly a half-century.

Pedroia easily beat out Minnesota Twins slugger Justin Morneau and added to his ever-expanding trophy case -- generously listed at 5-foot-9, the Red Sox star was the top AL rookie last year while winning a World Series ring.

Nellie Fox was the last second baseman to become AL MVP, in 1959 with the White Sox. No position has produced fewer MVPs overall.

Pedroia drew 16 of the 28 first-place votes cast by members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America and finished with 317 points.

ESPN - Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia wins Most Valuable Player award

And Pujols beat out Howard in the NL.

I was upset at first, and I'm partial of course, but after I thought about it I think it was the right choice.

I thought you could have made a really good case for Lidge in the NL as well.

Without Lidge the Phillies are certainly not even in the playoffs. And a perfect save record, a sub-2 ERA, opponents avg. under .200, and almost 2 k's per appearance are pretty hefty stats.

If you're going to go by just numbers alone, and not include intangibles, then Holliday probably should have beat out Rollins last year.

Forum List

Back