Pay No Attention To the Stock Market

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Don't worry. It's just like a political tracking poll. So sayeth the man behind the curtain.
"The stock market is sort of like a tracking poll in politics,'' said the president, whose own public job approval has been running at about two-thirds in the Gallup Poll's daily tracking surveys. "It bobs up and down every day... if you spend your time worrying about that, you're probably going to get the long-term strategy wrong.''

Obama: Stock 'gyrations' wrong indicator: The Swamp

How about we all start investing in American companies? If the guys on Wallstreet see we stopped investing in Europe and Asia and we are completely investing in America, maybe that'll wake them up.

I'm switching all my investments to American companies. Fuck it.

And I'm buying REALLY CHEAP!!! You people hording your money will be sorry.

So making money is not an indicator of economic health? I stand corrected.

Did he happen to say what is? Or is that an inconvenient truth

How about we all start investing in American companies? If the guys on Wallstreet see we stopped investing in Europe and Asia and we are completely investing in America, maybe that'll wake them up.

yeah BooBoo I am sure everyone here will take your financial advice.

FYI a balanced portfolio contains international investments.

lofl... I thought American companies aka corporations were the effen enemy???

:eusa_whistle:

It didn't always

So making money is not an indicator of economic health? I stand corrected.

Did he happen to say what is? Or is that an inconvenient truth

your rep points on the us messageboard?

Can't say I know what those are or what they are good for. Perhaps you may enlighten me.

All I know is I think I have one more little green mark than yesterday.

Is that a good thing Or is it how many offenses are against me?

It didn't always

But it does now

Just the last month shows that we are in massive freefall, this is the chart of the Dow Jones industrial averages, showing from 4 feb to march 3rd:

Attachments

• $Dowjones.JPG
    $Dowjones.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 45
Don't worry. It's just like a political tracking poll. So sayeth the man behind the curtain.
"The stock market is sort of like a tracking poll in politics,'' said the president, whose own public job approval has been running at about two-thirds in the Gallup Poll's daily tracking surveys. "It bobs up and down every day... if you spend your time worrying about that, you're probably going to get the long-term strategy wrong.''

OMG, what a frickin' idiot. I heard him say that on the news and I couldn't believe how out of touch he was with reality. And Mr. President, the Stock Market is not 'bobbing up and down' everyday. It's in freefall. If you spend trillions of dollars that you don't have, the market is bound to suffer.

[YOUTUBE]S4hrnbhIHDY[/YOUTUBE]

I have worked for nearly 20 years in the stock market and I can say that Obama is dead right.

He is merely paraphrasing what the most famous investment analyst - Ben Graham - once said about stocks:

In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.

The Investing Philosophy of Warren Buffett: Part 2 : Rational Wealth

Obama also said stocks are a buy.

President Barack Obama said falling share prices may mean bargains for investors with a “long-term perspective.”

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

I agree completely. Stocks are now at the cheapest level in 30 years.

Of course, lack of confidence in him and his administration has helped get stocks to the cheapest level in decades, but hey...

Last edited:

It didn't always

actually it did......

Forum List

Back