Pay No Attention To the Stock Market

How about we all start investing in American companies? If the guys on Wallstreet see we stopped investing in Europe and Asia and we are completely investing in America, maybe that'll wake them up.

I'm switching all my investments to American companies. Fuck it.

And I'm buying REALLY CHEAP!!! You people hording your money will be sorry.

Sure thing. So they can turn around and invest our money in China?

How about we all start investing in American companies? If the guys on Wallstreet see we stopped investing in Europe and Asia and we are completely investing in America, maybe that'll wake them up.

What $$ does anyone have to invest? Me? My $5 is in my mattress, not really, try to find it sucker.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Don't worry. It's just like a political tracking poll. So sayeth the man behind the curtain.
"The stock market is sort of like a tracking poll in politics,'' said the president, whose own public job approval has been running at about two-thirds in the Gallup Poll's daily tracking surveys. "It bobs up and down every day... if you spend your time worrying about that, you're probably going to get the long-term strategy wrong.''

Obama: Stock 'gyrations' wrong indicator: The Swamp

I have worked for nearly 20 years in the stock market and I can say that Obama is dead right.

He is merely paraphrasing what the most famous investment analyst - Ben Graham - once said about stocks:

In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.

The Investing Philosophy of Warren Buffett: Part 2 : Rational Wealth

Obama also said stocks are a buy.

President Barack Obama said falling share prices may mean bargains for investors with a “long-term perspective.”

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

I agree completely. Stocks are now at the cheapest level in 30 years.

Of course, lack of confidence in him and his administration has helped get stocks to the cheapest level in decades, but hey...

if you noticed that when obama made his statement the market moved up. it wasn't until gibbs opened his dumb mouth that the market moved down.

I'm moving all my discretionary investments to non-US companies and moving all those brokerage accounts to largely tax-free countries like the Cayman's, where I have dual citizenship and my returns are IMMUNE to Obama's attacks on my tax rates.

Why the HELL would anyone with a brain larger than walnut invest in a country that eats the largest share of your returns in taxes in the first world? I'm going to invest my money where a government won't touch it and let me keep most all of what I earn. If I'm a company I am going move my business to where my tax rates are low...like Ireland and sell my stuff to you from over there.

Don't worry. It's just like a political tracking poll. So sayeth the man behind the curtain.
"The stock market is sort of like a tracking poll in politics,'' said the president, whose own public job approval has been running at about two-thirds in the Gallup Poll's daily tracking surveys. "It bobs up and down every day... if you spend your time worrying about that, you're probably going to get the long-term strategy wrong.''

Obama: Stock 'gyrations' wrong indicator: The Swamp

I have worked for nearly 20 years in the stock market and I can say that Obama is dead right.

He is merely paraphrasing what the most famous investment analyst - Ben Graham - once said about stocks:

In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.

The Investing Philosophy of Warren Buffett: Part 2 : Rational Wealth

Obama also said stocks are a buy.

President Barack Obama said falling share prices may mean bargains for investors with a “long-term perspective.”

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

I agree completely. Stocks are now at the cheapest level in 30 years.

Of course, lack of confidence in him and his administration has helped get stocks to the cheapest level in decades, but hey...

He's right, as an investor. But he's dead wrong if he thinks the market is not the final judge on his policies. The market is tanking because they have no faith whatsoever in his policies to date or the people advising him. And most Americans with 401ks are not patient people. Even if they aren't retiring for 20 years they still look at those statements every month and increasingly wanting to spit on him. If this market is still under 7500 by August, Obama will be finished as a useful President.

You have the mental density of granite. Good luck in your GM shares, by the way, steer clear of American medical research corps.

What $$ does anyone have to invest? Me? My $5 is in my mattress, not really, try to find it sucker.

Annie's rich, hording $5 in these economic times is shameful. LMAO

I'm moving all my discretionary investments to non-US companies and moving all those brokerage accounts to largely tax-free countries like the Cayman's, where I have dual citizenship and my returns are IMMUNE to Obama's attacks on my tax rates.

Why the HELL would anyone with a brain larger than walnut invest in a country that eats the largest share of your returns in taxes in the first world? I'm going to invest my money where a government won't touch it and let me keep most all of what I earn. If I'm a company I am going move my business to where my tax rates are low...like Ireland and sell my stuff to you from over there.

Duh..come on where is your patriotism? Pay your taxes....lol

He's right, as an investor. But he's dead wrong if he thinks the market is not the final judge on his policies. The market is tanking because they have no faith whatsoever in his policies to date or the people advising him. And most Americans with 401ks are not patient people. Even if they aren't retiring for 20 years they still look at those statements every month and increasingly wanting to spit on him. If this market is still under 7500 by August, Obama will be finished as a useful President.

I would certainly agree that the market loathes Obama right now. However, I would caution people on using Obama as a barometer of the market. Go back and read what FDR said about bankers when he was running for President. His rhetoric was off the charts, calling them a blight and a cancer on society, railing against them in a manner unheard of today. In fact, the last leg down of the market in 1932 is thought to have been influenced by the market's fear of what FDR would do as President. And he did implement policies that were very anti-business.

However, stock prices were substantially higher when he died in office. Why? One reason was because the economy got moving again. The other reason is because stocks were dirt cheap when he entered office.

Today, what has Obama done? He has chided bankers, moved slowly to offer a solution to the banking crisis, presented a budget that is being questioned as useful as stimulus, and is threatening to reform healthcare. On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of how he'd rate versus FDR in terms of spooking the market, where 1 is low and 10 is high, he'd be at 1.5. But the market freaks out anyways since expectations were so high.

I'm willing to bet almost any amount of money that the stock market will do better under Obama than Bush, and that is not a judge on either man's policies. It is because of one simple fact. When Bush came into office, stocks were near their all-time high valuations, guaranteeing that stocks were going to be a poor return during his Presidency, no matter what his policies were. Now, stocks are at very low valuations, (almost) guaranteeing that stocks will (probably) do very well over the next several years, (almost) no matter what Obama does.

Forum List

Back