Paul Ryan Defended Stimulus -- When George W. Bush Wanted It In 2002

Bush's stimulus and Obama's aren't in the same league - nor are they in the same field or state...

Bush gave taxpaying individuals a small amount of money to spend at the individuals discretion - Obama gave states billions to spend on private and public sector unions..

Bush didn't spend nearly a trillion dollars while Obama did and neither have nothing to show for it....

Bush's idea was WAY better tho considering it was really nothing more than a no interest loan that would eventually be paid back via taxes......

Obamafuck on the other hand just put every US citizen 50k into debt then blew it all on unions.....

What do I get for 50 grand??? oh a bunch of union construction workers sitting on their asses blocking the fucking road and causing a traffic jam, cocky ass, slow ass government employees at the DMV, public school teachers who failed to teach a 15-year-old how to spell "cat" who now want their pensions bailed out and a 33% raise - cops who do nothing but beat and harass people among other things....

^^ Obama gave me that so I think I will go with Bush for 500...

Mmmm, let's see..... Bush stimulus check for $500, Obama tax rebate for $400 times 2 years = $800..... yeah, you would go for Bush instead... all your other blather about how much debt Obama put us in doesn't even compare to the debt Bush put us in with his two unfunded wars...

Last edited:
Paul Ryan is a lying hypocrite.

Who is shocked?

Yes and no. The Bush "stimulus" for one was nowhere near as costly as the Obama "stimulus" and the Bush plan gave everyone tax rebates as opposed to the Obama plan which mostly gave money to be wasted on special interest groups and big political donors. So they were two completely different plans.

Either way, both stimulus attempts were failures. Bush's didn't work and neither did Obama's.

Last edited:
Bush's stimulus and Obama's aren't in the same league - nor are they in the same field or state...

Bush gave taxpaying individuals a small amount of money to spend at the individuals discretion - Obama gave states billions to spend on private and public sector unions..

Bush didn't spend nearly a trillion dollars while Obama did and neither have nothing to show for it....

Bush's idea was WAY better tho considering it was really nothing more than a no interest loan that would eventually be paid back via taxes......

Obamafuck on the other hand just put every US citizen 50k into debt then blew it all on unions.....

What do I get for 50 grand??? oh a bunch of union construction workers sitting on their asses blocking the fucking road and causing a traffic jam, cocky ass, slow ass government employees at the DMV, public school teachers who failed to teach a 15-year-old how to spell "cat" who now want their pensions bailed out and a 33% raise - cops who do nothing but beat and harass people among other things....

^^ Obama gave me that so I think I will go with Bush for 500...

Mmmm, let's see..... Bush stimulus check for $500, Obama tax rebate for $400 times 2 years = $800..... yeah, you would go for Bush instead... all your other blather about how much debt Obama put us in doesn't even compare to the debt Bush put us in with his two unfounded wars...

I haven't gotten a rebate check?? maybe it only goes to progressives...

I'm too busy writing checks to the government...

Oh I do - It's the filing to get the Bush rebate...

Try again. The Obama administration signed the credit into law as part of the 2009 stimulus package.

Oh you mean - it's not CASH but rather a coupon - yeah I got it....

So in other words I don't get a 500 dollar check? its really just a credit.... :lol:

goddamn you are thick... It's was a 400 dollar deduction off the taxes you either owed or it's an additional 400 dollar addition to your tax refund for two years in a row.... I mean really.... are you going to tell me that you are so stupid that you think a 500 dollar check in hand is any different from an 800 dollar tax refund/deduction?

Paul Ryan Defended Stimulus -- When George W. Bush Wanted It In 2002

WASHINGTON - When Congressman Paul Ryan has been asked the past few years about the value of stimulus to the sagging economy and the nation's jobless, the Wisconsin Republican has dismissed it as meaningless, and dubbed it "sugar-high economics."

But that's when President Obama is pushing for the spending. When it was President George W. Bush arguing for more stimulus to boost a slow economy in the early 2000s, Ryan's economic analysis was entirely different.

"What we're trying to accomplish today with the passage of this third stimulus package is to create jobs and help the unemployed," Ryan said, in comments unearthed by MSNBC's "Up with Chris Hayes" and provided to HuffPost. "What we're trying to accomplish is to pass the kinds of legislation that when they've passed in the past have grown the economy and gotten people back to work."

Video of the comments will be aired at 8:00 a.m. Sunday on MSNBC.
"In recessions unemployment lags on well after a recovery has taken place," Ryan accurately noted in 2002.

Conservatives have routinely mocked Vice President Joe Biden for arguing that in order to reduce the deficit in the long run, the government needs to spend more now; that sentiment is lampooned in a recent pro-Republican campaign ad. But Biden's analysis -- that the government needs to juice the economy to promote growth, or else revenue will fall long term -- is one that Ryan himself articulated cogently back when the GOP was urging stimulus. Ryan called such stimulus a "constructive answer" worked out on "a bipartisan basis." Opponents of stimulus, Ryan said, ought to "drop the demagoguery."

"We've got to get the engine of economic growth growing again because we now know, because of recession, we don't have the revenues that we wanted to, we don't have the revenues we need, to fix Medicare, to fix Social Security, to fix these issues. We've got to get Americans back to work. Then the surpluses come back, then the jobs come back. That is the constructive answer we're trying to accomplish here on, yes, a bipartisan basis. I urge members to drop the demagoguery and to pass this bill to help us work together to get the American people back to work and help those people who've lost their jobs," Ryan said.

Bush's stimulus, which included an extension of jobless benefits and resulted in checks being mailed to millions of Americans, was signed in March 2002.

"We have a lot of laid off workers, and more layoffs are occurring," the congressman continued. "And we know, as a historical fact, that even if our economy begins to slowly recover, unemployment is going to linger on and on well after that recovery takes place. What we have been trying to do starting in October and into December and now is to try and get people back to work. The things we're trying to pass in this bill are the time-tested, proven, bipartisan solutions to get businesses to stop laying off people, to hire people back, and to help those people who have lost their jobs."

*snip*

:lmao: yes they were identically the same.......The same I tell ya...................

Oh I do - It's the filing to get the Bush rebate...

Try again. The Obama administration signed the credit into law as part of the 2009 stimulus package.

So in other words I don't get a 500 dollar check? its really just a credit.... :lol:

It showed up as a reduction in your withholdings. So you got it by the week or two weeks or by whatever schedule you were getting paid on.

Paul Ryan is a lying hypocrite.

Who is shocked?

Yes and no. The Bush "stimulus" for one was nowhere near as costly as the Obama "stimulus" and the Bush plan gave everyone tax rebates as opposed to the Obama plan which mostly gave money to be wasted on special interest groups and big political donors. So they were two completely different plans.

Either way, both stimulus attempts were failures. Bush's didn't work and neither did Obama's.

That's not the argument.

The argument is whether Ryan is a hypocrite because of what he said back in 2002 about stimulating the economy, about the importance of keeping people employed, and Keynesian economic policy.

Watch this video:

VIDEO: Paul Ryan defended stimulus in 2002, when George W. Bush wanted it - Up with Chris Hayes

Then tell me whether Ryan is a hypocrite.

It showed up as a reduction in your withholdings. So you got it by the week or two weeks or by whatever schedule you were getting paid on.
It's amazing how many wingnuts have no clue that Obama has been putting more money in every one of their paychecks for two years. :lol:

The form of the "stimulus" was in giving money back to people. Not selection by the government of losers like solyndra or GM.

When are the GOP ever going to reject a tax break ?

It's amazing how many wingnuts have no clue that Obama has been putting more money in every one of their paychecks for two years. :lol:

As just part of the deal. Nobody would have argued with that....that is what the GOP wanted it to be...in full.

What they didn't want was Obama spending a bunch of money on bridges we don't need and solar power companies that went bankrupt.

Forum List

Back